Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » David Whitney Work? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 894
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know why there is a barricade outside the David Whitney Building on the Woodward side? It's a bunch of wooden boards. I have a picture, but it is too large to fit on here. I might be able to upload it somewhere else.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 984
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please do

Scs100

Post Number: 896
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i161.photobucket.com/al bums/t220/Blitzkrieg66/Stuff05 0.jpg

That is not my arm in that picture.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are in the process of taking down the large "DETROIT" window display. A wooden barricade has been erected on the sidewalk for the work, so I have to think there is more to this then the window displays. The doors have a fresh piece of painted plywood and a no trespassing sign....

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 985
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been inside but judging from pictures and driving by, the building appears to be in excellent shape compared to a lot of other abandoned building downtown...it seems there'd be less involved in a renovation of this one than some others, which would make it easier to get a renovation project going on this one than on other buildings such as the BC...i.e, if something was afoot, we might not know about it right away like some others that take more time/planning...of course, it could just be a city code thing

(Message edited by thejesus on April 21, 2007)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great observation.

Scs100

Post Number: 899
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stopped at a light and I looked over and noticed. I quickly grabbed the camera and took a lousy shot, but got what I wanted. Dumb luck, really.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's to keep short people out of the building.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building when I experienced it was in good shape and really amazing to view. Unfortunately over the summer when there was a big time security lapse there a lot of things happened to the interior, from what im told, so it isnt as pristine as it once was.

Some shots from my trip in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/sets/72157594153677510/

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW.. We need to renovate that building damn.. WHAT a lobby.. that looks AMAZING.. I can just think of using the lobby for great balls... and just parties.. what a view.. what a lobby.. God Damn! Beautiful...

So honestly could it be possible for people to come together to renovate this building as well? With a lobby like that? I would live there.. first time I have ever said that BUT DAMN.. I would buy a condo there... as long as the price was right.. :-)

later,
Dan

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not my arm in that picture.

That's a shame. It's a nice arm.

Scs100

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn beautiful building. Would make a great Neiman Marcus 313

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, nice photos. The lobby and views are just gorgeous, however they are topped by the 1980's casio watch from the original picture.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what time was it anyway. I can't read the time on the watch! lol snicker snicker...

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The barricade is there to protect people from falling debris.

The last time I was there was just before they sealed it up and it was not in the best of shape. It was sad watching the building go to shit after each visit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.