Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i'm coming to new center from the burbs on 96 i get off on the West Grand exit and stay on that road.

Off to the right i always see this big 30 story building off in the distance. Anyone know what this is? It looks weird to have a 30 story abandoned building in the middle of a neighborhood of 2 story houses.

Anyone seen this or know what it is/ was?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee Plaza?

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the one you're referring to, search this website, Lowell did a webisode on this building a while ago.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 835
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is extremely rare to have that tall of a housing building in a neighborhood such as that in that time period. It wasn't like a 'housing project' or something that might explain a situation like that, but rather market driven. Commonly you might see in Detroit single family homes or perhaps duplexes on a block with then perhaps some denser/multi-family apartments at the end of the block along the main road.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sure sounds like the Lee Plaza by the description. Do as the butterfly suggests, there is a lot on this building already on this site.

Oh, and one other thing--everyone here has decided it's an art deco design despite the Italian renaissance first story and interior, so don't fight it.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, my understanding is that the Lee Plaza was - like other buildings at the time such as the Madison Lenox (now demolished since 2005) in Harmonie Park or the Addison building on Woodward to name a few were long-term hotel-type buildings, suited for single professional types staying/living in Detroit in the early 20th century.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4263
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered why similar "tall" structures werent built near the Lee. It looks like a lone mountain in that area of town.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People (professional/wealthy ones) used to live in hotel suites, as "apartments", yet with all of the services of a hotel. That lifestyle disappeared after WWII with the evaporation of the workforce that was willing to be employed at those wages/hours. Those folk found more meaningful employment in factory work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.