Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » PLC Initials on streetlight..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what PLC stands for on the streetlights along Brush near the stadia????

Random question, I know... :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 846
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

public lighting company?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldve thought that, however these lights seem different as most as labeled with DPW or Detroit Public Lighting.....

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It stands for the Detroit Public Lighting Commission. More information about the history of public power companies in Michigan can be found here.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikeg, thanks

any idea why these are different than the others?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because they are older? I think the PLC was the forerunner of the current Public Lighting Department.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these ones are brand new (they came in with ford field)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Public Lighting Commission became the Public Lighting Department in 1974 when the new City Charter was voted in by Detroit residents. That charter also changed the structure of the Police and other departments.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streetlights around Ford Field are recreations of historic Detroit light fixtures. They're actually called the Comerica Park Light because they were created for the new streetscape around CoPa. The reference back to the PLC is probably in keeping with the historic nature of the light poles.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, the initials were overlapping, so it could stand for Comerica Park Light

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threadjack: What's the oldest light or utility pole in the city?

There's one on the north side of Forest between Woodward and Cass that's OLD. The curb is all limestone there and the pole seems to be solid wood, painted black many times over.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First post for me here. I love this site and love to read what everyone has to say. There are MANY of these wooden poles left in the city. I can think of some on the east side on Harper maybe. They were originally set up for gaslight illumination perhaps 70 years + ago and others for early incandescent lights. Some still have their black paint but a lot are in bad shape.

JOE C.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, I'm not sure how old the one is at Forest and Cass, but there are definitely still ones around (I think Indian Village for example) where they are wooden.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6243
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an old wood pole on Piquette in front of the Studebaker plant, and it survived the fire unscathed!

I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it was a latin acronym that translated to "Rolling Blackout"

(Message edited by Futurecity on April 24, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know what PLC stands for on the streetlights along Brush near the stadia????

Take your pick: Parti Libéral du Canada or Pigmy Love Circus

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funniest PLC at http://www.acronymfinder.com/ was "Pathetic Losers Club."

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streetlamps around Comerica Park, Ford Field, much of downtown, and various sections of Michigan Ave going west from the CBD are a recreation of a late 1800s design called the Bishop. They are notable by their unique "Bowling Pin" finial on the top of the pole. Many original Bishops still exist around the city, some with pegs still in place for lamplighters to do their work more than 100 years ago before electricity. Other slightly more modern examples also exist, lacking the climbing pegs. And of course, the modern recreations, a great historical throwback which I commend the lighting dept on, are popping up around the city too. That look great, and goodness, they ACTUALLY light up at night!!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, I thought it stood for Please Leave Cash as there was a homeless guy camped out under the light.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLC can also be found on some of the older substations:

Beale SS

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got the letters mixed up. It's CPL - Coleman's Power and Lighting.

RIP Mayor Young.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.