Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Great news, Detroit does not make the headline for bad news... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEW YORK, April 24 (Reuters Life!) - What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, according to the city's promotions -- but that might not apply to your car.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200 70424/lf_nm/cars_theft_dc

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11524
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad insurance rates are based upon the predominate skin color in your city, and not the number of vehicle thefts. Otherwise, our rates may actually go down. Instead, we are stuck in a situation where no politician wants to take on the big bad insurance companies, as they'd rather let us Detroiters continue to get screwed over.

Nice not to see Detroit in that article, bad that it has little impact on the insurance redlining that CONTINUES to take place.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Heh.

What's even more funny is that auto thefts have been tilted to the West for years now, yet last time I checked Detroit was paying more than $1000/year on average than L.A.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually saved close to $1500 for this year by changing insurance companies. I had a $3670 for the year policy and now I have a 6 month policy for $1088.

Even my old insurance company could say much to stop me from jumping ship. I wonder why is there such a gap?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the higher rates are not solely due to car thefts, but also the amount of uninsured drivers, where I would suspect Detroit still has high numbers.

While I agree that the pols need to take on the insurance company's redlining policies, a fair portion of the City's citizens are partially to blame as well for not being insured at all.

It's an ugly Catch-22 and self-fueling problem;
-rates go up,
-drivers can't afford the higher rates & fail to get coverage,
-rates get pushed higher for all,
-more drivers drop coverage,
-return to top.

Ugly mess.
Seems to feed the argument for more effective public transit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seems to feed the argument for more effective public transit."

Agreed.

I'm not really quick to blame the citizens. I've seen quotes for cars in Detroit that had total yearly premiums that costed more than the car was worth. Most people with new cars in the city are paying as much for the premium as they are on the car note. The state has only allowed it to go on because it keeps many suburban rates dirt cheap.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saved over $1,000/year when I switched to esurance about 2 years ago. If not for my no tickets/no accidents record and high deductibles, savings may have been more. I figure esurance is marketing nationally via the internet, and therefore not caught up in the thinking of other companies that want us to believe all their sob stories of how their costs are that much higher in the city. If everybody switched to esurance, I'll bet their rates would become more competitive.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohud, Downtown,
Which companies are you going through? I have Progressive, which isn't very swell and still paid about $3,500 a year even though I am older than 25, never had an accident and never had a single ticket.
Please share your secret. :-)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See my post on April 15 for my recent auto insurance experience.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/99746.html?1177035815

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown guy is using esurance...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm and I thought $1,500 a year for my 2003 Mercury was high! You folks need to shop your insurance once a year to a dozen companies. Take a day off of work and do it. Its the only way you can stand a chance to save money!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a story a few years ago about this. Someone asked an insurance agent, "OK, theft rates are high in Detroit, we get it, so comprehensive coverage is crazy expensive. But why is no-fault high too, even for a good driver?" And they said something along the lines of, "well, people get into more accidents in Detroit because the streets are old and bumpy." What a crock.
My theory is that whenever someone tries to equalize rates a little more in line with the 'burbs, the 'burbs cry bloody murder, and everybody knows they run the show.
That and the theory above - the few people who can afford Detroit rates end up carrying the burden for those who can't.

Ohudson

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Amica while living in Clinton Township and I moved into West Village during that 1 year policy. I didn't shop around as much as I should have (AAA was just as high as Amica)and I went I month into a new policy with that $3670 policy. I finally started calling around and I ended up with Progressive. No secret, just not accepting just one companies quote.

I have the exact same policy as before. The exact same deductible. I'm 27, so I was over 25 for both. I still don't get how 2 companies can look at the same guy with the same car 2 completely different ways. $1500 or possible more if my policy costs drop again is INSANE!! I've been reciting the Geico commercial "I saved $1500 by switching to... insert Progressive!"

Rhymeswithrawk, what has your experience been with Progressive? I like the website, it has so much info.

(Message edited by OHudson on April 25, 2007)

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, www.esurance.com is the site. Everything is done online. Your documents come to you immediately in a .pdf file. If you need it, phone support is available. Used that once when I got a new car, and the service was great.

Years ago, I changed to a high deductible. You assume more risk, but often the annual savings is nearly the amount of the deductible. If you go one year without a claim, you've made money.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sticking up for insurance companies, but their rates are based on risk, not skin color. There are almost 22,000 cars stolen in Detroit every year, thats about 60 per day. In Novi, as an example there are only about 70 auto thefts in an entire year hence the lower rates.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, didn't you know that everything is based on skin color?

Forget facts and figures, it's about the MAN.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah and of course none of that is fraud by those who live outside the city boundaries...

Ohudson

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's about facts and figures then California rates (Modesto) should be double that of Detroit.

I found the 2005 NICB survey and California is well represented (14 out of top 30)... Detroit (Metro) was 16th. Detroit had 790/100,000 inhabitants to Modestos 1400+/100,000 inhabitants.

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/x chg/SID-4031FE9A-DE3466DA/nicb /hs.xsl/217.htm

(Message edited by OHudson on April 27, 2007)

(Message edited by OHudson on April 27, 2007)

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rhymeswithrawk, www.esurance.com is the site. Everything is done online. Your documents come to you immediately in a .pdf file. If you need it, phone support is available. Used that once when I got a new car, and the service was great.

Esurance is pretty notorious for its belief that an immobilizer cannot be defeated - and there are a lot of notorious cases where it denied theft claims because it believed that certain cars simply could not be stolen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.