Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to isolate the neighborhoods in the city. Most websites seem to focus on the more popular areas (Indian Village, Brush Park, W. Chicago, Virginia Park, Rosedale Park, etc.), but I can't find much info on the less popular areas or the outer areas close to the city limits. I've seen the website for "Cityscape Detroit" which has a good map and a lot of areas listed, but there are some big gaps. Does anyone know where I can look for information on neighborhood boundaries for places like the Dexter-Linwood area (which I've seen under several different names, including Dexter-Davison, Dexter-Monterrey, and just plain Dexter); or like places way over on the east side around Denby HS, 7-Gratiot area, etc. There are a lot of "street-corner" neighborhoods in the city named after intersections, but I can't find much info on where the boundaries are. Thanks

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this will help. Each sector identifies neighborhoods within each. The files are large so be patient. http://www3.ci.detroit.mi.us/p landevl/advplanning/pdfs/Clust erBooks/default.htm

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone know where I can look for information on neighborhood boundaries for places like the Dexter-Linwood area"

Thought something about that request seemed funny; Dexter and Linwood are parallel, so there would be no Dexter-Linwood neighborhood.

Although those documents that Winstin_o_boogie_iii linked to are way more than what you were looking for Kville, if you take a look at map 44 for any of the 10 clusters within the city, that map might be the type of information that you are looking for. For example, at the north end of Dexter and Linwood near McNichols the neighborhood is simply calle 'McNichols.'

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thought something about that request seemed funny; Dexter and Linwood are parallel, so there would be no Dexter-Linwood neighborhood. "

The area around Davison between Dexter and Linwood is sometimes referred to that casually. I've never heard a formal name for the area... but there may be some type of neighborhood marker on Oakman Blvd in that area.

Kville

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the "cluster" website that Winstin refers to. It appears to me that the areas and boundaries in that site are not really neighborhoods that the residents would identify as much as convenient titles for the planners to use. Also, not having grown up on the west side (but the east side), I didn't come up with the name "Dexter-Linwood" (parallel streets), but one can find that name listed in various descriptions of that area. That "cluster" website calls part of it Durfee (after an elementary school in the area), but I haven't seen that title used anywhere else, so I question whether people in that area would call their neighborhood Durfee.

Kville

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived many years near Denby HS on the east side. The only name I ever heard for our neighborhood in all those years was sometimes "7-Gratiot," even though I felt we were outside the 7-Gratiot immediate area (we lived east of Kelly near Morang).

I also lived near Dickerson & Harper and at that time (about 20 years ago) we often used the name "Outer Drive-Chandler Park" because those streets kind of encircled our area. Now I don't see any name for that neighborhood except "Ravendale," which was a neighborhood watch group at that time. Many maps isolate Ravendale to only one corner of that neighborhood (near Harper & Conner). Are there other names for that section? My mom used to call that area "Harper-Chalmers," but I never heard that name commonly used elsewhere.

I also see that some other changes have been made over the years. The names "Morningside" and "East English Village" never existed when I lived in that area - we simply called it "Warren & Outer Drive." But what about the area farther east near Balduck Park? Is there a name for that neighborhood?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

model D helps

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/pl andevl/advplanning/pdfs/Mplan/ Mplan_2004/default.htm

From the sectors I have reviewed, there are some neighborhoods. I am not sure if it is a complete representation of each sector's individual neighborhoods, but some are indeed there.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are only a few clearly defined neighborhoods in Detroit. Chicago has done a pretty good job with identifying all of its neighborhoods; it would be a great model to follow.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A work in progress:

http://www.cityscapedetroit.or g/Detroit_neighborhoods.html

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, thanks. That looks like the map I lost in a disk crash.

Curious why it has only three, not four colors. Oh well, whatever works.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kvill what year did you go to Denby...I was also confused with East English villiage..except the homes between St Matthews and Mack resembled tutor style homes and were/are still pretty nice.

denby 77

Kville

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran - actually, I went to Lutheran East - graduated in 1967. I lived near Denby and used to go there for open swimming on Sat. morning, did the driver's training thing there. Many of my family went there & my uncle taught there for years. My wife graduated from Denby in 1971 & most of her siblings graduated from there around that same period. The closest one to your age would have been her younger sisters who was there in mid 70's. She also had a brother who graduated from there around 1975 or so.

Kville

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Winston. That site has helped me identify a few areas.

Mikem, I had seen that site you listed. It was probably the most helpful I had seen - there were neighborhoods listed that I never heard of, but being an old east sider, I never really knew too many west side areas anyway. I guess there were just a lot of neighborhoods that never had a name or identity beyond the cross-street designations often used by most locals: the old 7-Gratiot neighborhood, Harper-Van Dyke, Jefferson-Chalmers, Warren-Conner, etc.

I've seen Harper-Van Dyke listed on some sites as a "neighborhood," but what about Harper & Gratiot - does anyone know if that would be considered a separate neighborhood too, or is it part of Harper-Van Dyke?

Also the "Denby" neighborhood (as listed on the "cluster" website) - I would have drawn the southern boundary along Berkshire (just below Whittier) because having lived near Dickerson & Elmdale for a while, that area surrounded by Outer Drive, Berkshire & Harper seemed to be part of what is now called Ravendale or what used to be called at one time "Outer Drive-Chandler Park." Does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found it funny when I was describing different sections of Detroit to a relative at my uncles property out in Richmond Twp when my uncle cut in and said " Anything south of 26 Mile Rd. is Detroit!"

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5287
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, welcome to The Forum.

Durfee was built as an Intermediate School, FYI.
But brings up two points about the Westside.

First, Detroit has an at-large City Council setup, thus, nobody represents any section of Detroit. With this, the Westside developed into a huge swath of land just really known as the Northwest side, or the Westside. Now compare to Chicago with 50 Wards and 50 Aldermen. So you live in the 44th Ward, 21st Precinct.

Secondly, the school attendance zones have been used from the time they were built to connote neighborhoods, in a casual fashion.
So you might live in Winthrop, or Noble, or Bagley, or Durfee, or Winterhalter.

Farther out, you do have some designations like Rosedale Park, North Rosedale Park, or Brightmoor. Delray has an identity. Corktown has an identity. New Center has an identity. Boston-Edison has an identity. Rouge Park has an identity.

As for Dexter-Davison-Linwood area, you are right.
People just called it by streets.

In jjaba's case, he simply says he lives at Schoolcraft and Wyoming Area. There never was a name for my neighborhood that we knew.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cripes, Jjaba!! You're almost close enough for me to heave a kreplach from my porch to yours!! (I'm Irish, but heaving a beer could be hazardous.)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5289
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, jjaba is Northlawn and Schoolcraft. And you with the kreplach? (Oy veyesmere, jjaba is ducking.)

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Sorry for the delay in answering your question. Hubbell, near Plymouth. My wife grew up on Tuxedo, just off of Dexter. I was exaggerating, a bit, about how close you are, but you get the idea.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5293
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, firm up a week-old matzoh ball, insert in one of those Iraqi bazookas, aim 'er slightly NE, and fire away. Undershoot and you hit I-96, over aim and you've splattered the John C. Lodge.

jjaba, LOL.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In real estate listings I sometimes see an Oakman Boulevard historic district mentioned, or an area of Oakman that has historic or well-preserved homes. Where exactly is this segment of Oakman-I guess I've never passed through there.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In real estate listings I sometimes see an Oakman Boulevard historic district mentioned, or an area of Oakman that has historic or well-preserved homes. Where exactly is this segment of Oakman-I guess I've never passed through there.

http://www.detroit1701.org/Oak man%20Boulevard.html

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"City of Detroit Local Historic District: Established October 6, 1989
State of Michigan Register of Historic Buildings: Not listed
National Register of Historic Sites: Not Listed"

Does being solely designated by the city of detroit as a 'historic neighborhood' qualify it for much? Seems to me that if the city wanted to, it could basically designate about half of the 143 square miles as historic. Just my thought and opinion though.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville wrote:
But what about the area farther east near Balduck Park? Is there a name for that neighborhood?

______________________________ ___________________

For many years we refered to this area as Copper Canyon since many of Detroit's Finest resided there. When I was part of the neighborhood council, we were called Organized Neighbors East, O.N.E.

BTW, I'm going to take a guess that your handle name is short for Kingsville?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking Knoxville ...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^Same here.

Kville

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Kville is short for Kendallville - a town of about 10,000 in Indiana north of Fort Wayne about 25 miles. Moved there about 25 years ago because my job took me there. Now that the kids are grown & grandchildren are here, we can't leave anymore. But our siblings & my dad are still in Detroit area and I still love Detroit and come back at least once a month. We lived there for the first 30-some years of our lives. My wife & I are discussing moving back once we retire.

I understand the street-corner concept of neighborhood names in Detroit and I don't feel a need to put another name to each neighborhood as is common in New York, Chicago, and even many parts of Detroit. But I would like to know where neighborhood boundaries are, which is how this whole forum got started. I also realize that neighborhoods are not always that clear-cut, but usually there is some sort of general understanding by the locals in an area of what neighborhood they're in. So, my old neighborhood as a child (area east of Kelly below Harper Woods and over to Harper) was our area, but I never heard of it by name, unless you combine it with the area just west and call it 7-Gratiot, which in my opinion was an older neighborhood with a different history. Just some observations.

Also, being an east sider, I was looking for help to pinpoint some areas on the west side that one doesn't find names on neighborhood maps. Thanks, Jjaba, for your insights on the school attendance zone concept. I've found several neighborhoods listed in Detroit named after elementary or high schools in the area, which is why I'm inclined to put the handle "Denby" on my old neighborhood. People of the area would recognize it, even if they didn't generally use that name for it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby? On the Westside, we called that "way out in Yemminsville". Born and raised in Detroit, never ever even seen Denby.

jjaba, Westsider.

ps. jjaba's son lives in C-ville.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Pam-it's very informative. It looks like a nice group of homes. -Dustin

Kville

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, if you've seen Mumford (and some of the other city high schools), you've seen Denby, Pershing, et al. The city seemed to have had a favorite high school architect back around 1930.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72 and Kville,

The far east side area formerly known as "O.N.E." (Organized Neighbors East) has recently undergone a new name (which for some reason their newsletter hasn't started using yet).

It will be known as "Cornerstone Village" (being in a corner of the city). The "ONE" name will disappear.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a nice neighborhood on the west side of Detroit bordering Dearborn. The major streets in this neighborhood are Tireman, Meyers, Oakman Boulevard and Wyoming. I have heard it referred to as the Aviation Sub. Also, there is the Old Redford neighborhood on the far northwest corner of this city.

Actually, in old Redford, if you follow Grand River (going northwest) past Lahser Road for a few blocks, on the right (or the north side), you will see a nice neighborhood, with a wooden sign proclaiming it be "Sandhill". I don't know what that official borders are for this residential section, but it seems to be bordered on the west by Berg Road and the River, and on the north by the Golf Course that used to Edgewater Park, and on the south by Grand River.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3449
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sandhill" was the original name for the village of Redford, annexed to the city in the mid-20's.
The "sand hill" that gave the area it's name was located in the middle of Hope Park, Lahser at Florence. In his wild younger days, Barnesfoto defiled the park by going there at night and participating in illegal activities.
Barnesfoto, Dangerous Lawbreaker, Old Redford Ex-Pat.

Kville

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Masterblaster & Barnesfoto. The only name I had seen for that Sandhill area (beyond the Old Redford section) was 7 Mile-Telegraph (another street-corner name).

Gistok, I am also interested in the Cornerstone Village name. Do you have any information as to what the extent of that area might be - what territory it will encompass? A comment you made about that area on another forum came up when I googled that name, and you indicated that it covers the area below I94 east of EEV (Balduck Park area). Will it extend above I94 as well towards Kelly & Moross? Beyond your comment, I can't find much other information about O.N.E. except names of organizers.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville,

Actually familiar with Kendalville having traveled to the Budd Plastics plant there on a previous job.

Welcome

Kville

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - Kendallville sometimes reminds me of a mini-Detroit with all the auto-related industry here (pretty close to the Michigan line). When Detroit feels the auto job squeeze, Kendallville feels it too.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious about the Medical Center area. Is their housing over there, or is it exclusively hospital related buildings ?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to the Detroit Medical Center Larry?

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. the area approximately bordered by Woodward-Hastings-Mack-Warren

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4247
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, Cornerstone Village (formerly ONE) has Kingsville, Mack, Cadieux and I-94 as its' borders. The area north of I-94 towards Kelley is called D.A.R.E. or Detroit Area Residents East... another goofy acronym name like ONE.

Kville

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Gistok. Maybe because those far out neighborhoods had no long line of ethnic history or something like that, people never really thought too much about what to call them. They were like the suburbs back then. It's only in more recent years that the neighborhoods have achieved historic value now that the houses are over 50 years old or more and these areas are the last stop before the "official" suburbs. Morningside, East English Village - they were there before, but there were no such names 50 years ago. I suppose that O.N.E. and D.A.R.E. may one day have a similar experience as they assign a name to the neighborhoods they represent.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, the DMC doesn't have much housing. It is a huge complex of many hospitals: Detroit Receiving (the main trauma hospital in Detroit), Hutzel Women’s, Children’s Hospital, Harper Hospital, and a few other major institutions. There is some suburban style housing south of the complex across Mack Ave. and some apartment complexes to the east. To the immediate north is the V.A. hospital and further is basically the cultural center, and if you go one block west, you reach Woodward.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I attended Wayne State (1969-73), I took a class called Urban History or something like that. The prof knew a lot about Detroit and it's history and sociology. He said that we Detroiters think of our neighborhoods in terms of intersections, and picture what is (or was) there. If you say "Mack and Moross" or "Six Mile and Gratiot", we automatically get a mental picture or the buildings at that location. Other than "Indian Village" I can't think of any neighborhood names on the east side. Harper Woods used to be known as "Pumpkin Hook". My wife grew up in the area of Grosse Pointe Farms around Cottage Hospital (Muir Road and Mapleton) where there are a lot of older, smaller houses. These were supposedly built by the poorer folks who worked on the estates. Those streets used to be called "Incubator Alley" because the families there had a lot of children.

(Message edited by Newport1128 on May 22, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5912
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some info on Detroit neighborhoods.

1. The people there are mostly black with a few ethnic oasis communities on the side.

2. Most the neighborhoods are a ghetto

3. Violent crime is a common plague in the community.

4. Poor schools and few successful evil Charter schools.

5. Some houses are either vacant and abandoned.

6. Few people cut their lawns.

7. Lot's of stray lost dogs and cats.

8. Fewer homeless and DEAD(C)KRAK HEADS running about.

9. Lot's of neighborhoods blockbusting of rental homes in Detroit dwellings. Some of the home are neglected exploiting lots of low-income residents.

10. More Detroit dwellings are in forclosure and on the auction block.

11. More vacant and abandon old retail strips on its main roads.

12. Broken watermain pipelines are a common problem during winter months.

13. Hearing gunshots day and night especially on New Years Night.

I'm sorry about giving not any negative details about Detroit But I still love the everyday action. It makes me strong and more aware. Some suburbanites don't like it even its near their borders. That's my ghetto where I live, work and die.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blocks along the Detroit-Grosse Pointe Park border, Wayburn and Maryland, from Jefferson to Mack are still called "Cabage Patch". I don't know why.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.