Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Peterboro Place and C.O.T.S « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone what is going to happen to these 2 places? This is a pretty good area if you ask me and I feel that they should get rid of these places if brush park wants to succeed. Correct me if I'm wrong but having a place were it will attract bums and crack heads are not going to be good for this area at all

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So tell me, where should they move them?

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham

Mg2007

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so whats your answer?? they should stay there?

Cub

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone that goes to those places are not crackheads and bums.

Mg2007

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are they?? Thats what i was told, im sorry if i was wrong? so what are those places for??

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coalition of Temporary Shelter ?
I think thats what COTS is.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked there it was mainly battered women,a few had drug problems but most were simply there because they didn't have any place to go after being beat by their boyfriends.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COTS is a drag on the Brush Park/Midtown neighborhood. Regardless of the good work it may do, COTS attracts petty criminals, drug users, and litter to the area. Certainly, battered women (and men for that matter) need secure temporary housing. The City, however, in order to provide decent services, needs to repopulate itself with a taypaying middle class. I doubt that COTS will remain at its present location for too much longer.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 280
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Common Off The Shelf Software?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COTS was, at one time, the Imperial Hotel.

Mg2007

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with tompage, I mean they do good things and there might be some good people thats just have problems go there but I dont think it going to last much longer and the reason i first asked that is because thats what i had heard yesterday!

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh f off. Let the normal happenings of property, tenant and land ownership proceed. These people will eventually be driven out, so stop worrying about your property values of a 'loft' that you just layed a third of a million on 3 years ago and are now worried you got ripped off for a place with no walls.
Shelters are important for people and these people were here long before you. There of little concern either. If they bother you take your thin skin elsewhere.

Mg2007

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ou need to relax we are just talking I'm not sure why you got so offended that I own a $300,00 loft loll that don't have but I was asking people that would know better on this forum if they know what will happen or if they know anything about this place. looks like you should start a threat "jealous of people with money"

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8941
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas - What type of services like this are in your neighborhood?

Vas

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mg2007-Your youth is evident.

Jt1-Neighborhood Services Organization is two blocks away from me at 3rd and MLK. I hear bums and vagrants screaming at each other outside me window. I hate and love these people at the same time.

Jt1

Post Number: 8944
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha - Thanks. I have always wondered why the NSo is not responsible for cleaning the area around it.

I am sure the workers their work very hard for a great cause but the amount of litter that is strewn about by those getting help at the NSO is appalling. I'm sure their budget is tight but damn the garbage from those going to the NSO is ridiculous.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose some of the folks at the NSO genuinely need help...but, that place has to move for Midtown to move forward.

Mg2007

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iddue313-thats evident!!

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no reason for the filth at the NSO walk-in center beyond the dysfunctionality of this city, the absolute laziness of Detroiters, and the sense that "someone else" will take care of it.

I was in St Petersburg FL recently and visited friends who live in an area similar to the Cass Corridor. Drunk and mentally ill people wandering around and several half-way houses and flop hotels in the neighborhood. (Along with people shelling out tons of money for old and rehabbed housing.) My friends lived just several blocks from a tent city that dwarfed the NSO. Not a scrap of trash on the ground.

The place was unbelievably clean, and I even saw homeless people sweeping up their little corner of sidewalk in front of their tents. Had to do a double take because that's unheard of in this city where homeless people are content to live in their own filth, the rest of society is happy to see them do it, and the city as responsible party does nothing about it except make it worse.

Something is very, very wrong in Detroit.

Vas

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1. No gotcha bud. That would've been if I wasn't near a shelter. If it was NIMBY.

Yeah the trash is appalling. But people that give food and shelter to humans are ok in my book and should be the last people to be messed with. Detroit is moving forward, these people will eventually be gone, if the prickly can't handle it then go move to Royal Oak.

Vas

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warning, Gentrification will happen. If it is blatantly forced, before naturally occurring, you will make deeper resentment and divisions. That is not what Detroit needs.

Cub

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are you proposing they move voluntarily? Where will they get the funds to do so? Will you be the first to give a donation. There is trash in some of the best neighborhoods in Detroit. We as a city need to combat this problem. It is not just the poor, battered, and homeless that litters.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sizable chunk of the vagrants in the brush park/midtown/downtown area will move on within the next year or so when the city clears out the Brewster projects and the low rises by Grand River. The service centers in the cass corridor will be gentrified out relatively quickly as long as development trends continue at their current pace. Sooner or later that property will become too valuable to house the homeless. Patience. Remember this all works on Detroit time.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A sizable chunk of the vagrants in the brush park/midtown/downtown area will move on within the next year or so when the city clears out the Brewster projects and the low rises by Grand River.

They're doing this?

Also, I think Vas has some good points, even if he was being rather combative about it. These facilities are obstacles to development, but they have to go somewhere. And they deserve respect for their efforts.

I vote to send them to Birmingham just to piss off mindfield. :-)

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NSO only gives out a fish. There needs to be organizations that teach how to fish. I know its a cliche but too many people expect things for free. Even at the Cass Park cleanup, some of the homeless were demanding free t shirts and food. They expect it at this point.This idea seems as it has been reinforced for decades in the south side of the corridor. Local churches down here reinforce it.

Maybe there is a way to redesign the messages. Instead of giving out free food, get them to help pick up 2nd and Peterboro for the food. I am not sure the legalities behind the idea but I work for free food all the time. They appreciate their surroundings more.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Lukabottle, anytime you can earn something it has more value and can help build a sense of pride. Not mention the good it could do for the trash problems.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if the City wasn't so strict on permits for providing food, Recycle Detroit could plan some events. Unfortunately, being an emerging non profit, we cannot take the chance.
Maybe this is where we all at neighbors, go out to these organizations and talk to them. At the most, they could laugh at us.
Give them some garbage bags. Food for one full garbage bag.
With the church groups, talk about Jesus Christ and fish. LOL I shouldn't kid. The church next to by apartment building was very supportive with the cleanup. We just need to get people thinking out of the box. I should bring it up to the Motor City Makeovers group in the Mayors Office. Ajane and others may find it interesting if not at least entertaining.

I think I may mess with some of the local groups this week. They can't curse me. They would goto hell.

Cub

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I like that idea Lukabottle.

Jt1

Post Number: 8947
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas - I wasn't asying gotcha like I got you it was meant as a 'Got it. I understand and your opinion carries more weight since you live near the NSO."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5845
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C.O.T.S. has been serving the po'folks in the south end of the Cass Corridor for years and they are not going anyplace yet. It's po'folk's shelter way to keep them in check. If gentrification want's them out where are po'folks are going to seek shelter?

Vas

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh. sorry Jt1

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move the Soup Kitchens near Corktown now!

Multi-Ethnic yuppie gentrification of downtown and other neighborhoods is the true key to a better functioning, clean, business filled, safer Detroit. (downtown and other neighborhoods at least)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.