Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Man arraigned for allegedly shooting two for being on his lawn « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live in the city, you might want to take any keep of the grass signs more seriously.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070428/NEWS01/ 70428010/1003

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incidents like this are about disrespecting someone else's wishes. The homeowner felt that he was disrespected because the men walked across his lawn. From what I saw on the local newscast, the homeowner had his grass roped off. Now, why would these two guys go out of their way to walk on the homeowner's grass when it was clearly roped off? I think that's at the heart of the incident.

Also, did the homeowner have run-ins with these guys before about walking on his grass or did they have a conflict over something else? The media always gives incidents like this a "disbelief" type of response to boost interest in the story. They rarely follow the story to find out what the essence of the story was really about. Usually you'll find out more if the media reports on the outcome of the trial, but only if they're doing a human interest story on the victim or the accuser.

BTW, if you're having an argument with someone and they leave angry and go into their house, then wouldn't common sense tell you that they might be going to get a weapon and that maybe this would be a good time to run away?

(Message edited by royce on April 29, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now, why would these two guys go out of their way to walk on the homeowner's grass when it was clearly roped off?"

because they're both dumbf*cks who were clearly asking for trouble...I doubt either one of them is of any use to society...

without knowing the facts, I can't say the homeowner was justified in shooting them...a warning shot probably would have done the trick... but it seems clear that these two idiots had the power to avoid this outcome but chose to play with fire instead...

(Message edited by thejesus on April 29, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Royce 100%. If you look for trouble, you’re going to find it. I think he did the world a favor by getting two (maybe three) dumb asses off our streets. The media plays this up because it is stupid all around and that gets ratings. I recall a story a few years back about a pedestrian killed by a hit-and-run driver. Oh, the outrage by the locals, who swear cars go too fast down that street. They (the media) asked if the speed limit should be lowered to 25 MPH. They never said a word about how people never cross at the cross walk, step blindly into the street, and challenge drivers to hit them. Dumb asses all...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damm Kids!

Keep Off

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is incident is a prime example of Detroit, hence mass exodus. Of course, not knowing all of the details, I'm sure they probably got what they were looking for.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY, THERE'S A REASON WHY A SIGN THAT READS 'PLEASE KEEP OFF THE GRASS' IS ON THE LAWN, FOLKS! (LMAO)

In agreement 2 what's been said so far, common sense would tell these dumbf*cked retards that if they see a lawn that has its perimeter surrounded, being roped off, fenced, or what have you. YOU DON'T TREAD ON THE DAMN GRASS ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU FEEL LIKE IT, that should've said 'red flag' right then and there when that 18 y.o. and the other dude (WHO'S OLD ENOUGH 2 BE THE BOY'S FATHER 4 CHRISSAKES) who should've set the proper example by not walking on the man's grass.

Now this elderly cat may be looking at a life sentence just 4 the sake of protecting his property. I will say this, maybe that was extreme using a sawed-off shotgun which eventually resulted in a loss of life and another in limbo-maybe this is a lesson for younger people to think twice before walking on someone's grass-when most of us were kids, the neighbors and our folks would go upside our heads for doing something so foolish.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this matter.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem like these two were asking for trouble. However, we can hardly condone shooting them, can we?

Follow up - why did this man have a sawed off shotgun?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt the shooter will be sentenced to life in prison. Probably some sort of lesser charge, manslaughter maybe... I guess we'll see. If the circumstances were right, I could see him not doing any jail time. My money's on 0-5 years.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"just 4 the sake of protecting his property."

I hope some attorney weighs in here! It is just outrageous that someone who killed another human being would be thought to have committed mere manslaughter. Walking on someone's grass is not punishable by death. I hardly think that some grass ranks right up there in property law as a major ownership item.

Residents of Detroit don't have the right to impose the death sentence. So he was sick of people "disrespecting" his grass - I'm sick of car alarms going off all night and loud music all night - I work and need to sleep. Wouldn't that be a human need? Think if I killed the car alarm owner I'd only get manslaughter?

I'm sure that you know that a person has to feel threatened for his life - and have immediate cause to feel so - before that person can shoot or defend himself to the death.

I'm concerned that bulletmagnet, dougw and waxx think that its pretty normal or excusable for the guy to engage in cold-blooded murder (when you walk back inside, you surely have enough time to think things through) over his grass rights. Why is correct - its something like this that makes people think twice about whether they want Detroiters as neighbors.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a case like this on a DDOT bus in the early 80s. An older gentlemen had some kind of disagreement with a younger guy who was smarting off to him.

One day, the old man(mid-80s) shot him on the bus and killed him. The young kid was definitley a smartass, but is that reason to die?

I think the old man did some hard time(2-3 yrs) and rest was commuted.

There is more to this story than we'll know, unless we talk to people who live on this block. The vast majority of senior citizens are victims of crime rather than perp's of it.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The logical take on all this is this: The guy has probably put up with this crap for a long time. Who would not get pissed when someone violates your space i.e. your personal property? I am not condoning anything.But I am almost certain that these are mtigating circumstances_ much like the bus incident given by mjb3.

Is that reason to die? is the question. Well .....yeah.......if you mess with the wrong person. I may be giving people too much credit for brainpower but one would think that anyone in any big city including Detroit would be wary of anyone else in case they had a firearm.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11539
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on CL, you almost sound like you're siding with the shooter in this case. Why not take this opportunity to tell people that until crimes like this get under control, the city will never come back.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me again how Guns save lives and decrease crime.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe these hoods didnt kill the old man and his family, because they knew he had a gun?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shooter (by the way, at 56 I wouldn't say he was exactly old) is a common felon with three felony convictions. He's a typical Detroiter.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really serious 1953, the man in the heat of argument over some useless grass decides to grab an illegal firearm and illegally fire on two people.

If the hoods(your words) were armed they would be the only people who would have had a legal reason to open fire.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the shooter is an unemployed WHITE man laid off in the past year from GM. He is still collecting unemployment. He has a couple of Dobies to scare people when he walks to the mail box and 90% of the time always carried a handgun!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8951
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grass grows back, lives don't.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's not yours, don't touch it.

( over the top reaction, but... )

If it's not yours, don't touch it.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tell me again how Guns save lives and decrease crime.

This man was a felon and was prohibited from buying a gun legally and it was illegal for him to even own a gun. So he must have gotten it through illegal means. So tell me again how gun control reduces crime? We've all see how well "drug control" reduces the availability of drugs. Why, you can't even find drugs in America, let alone Detroit!

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not excusing what the man, did. If anything, I was saying that I understood his anger. And toward the end of the thread I posted earlier today, I did say that (maybe) it was extreme-CORRECTION-it WAS extreme! But like Citylover said, You take so much (crap), it makes you snap sometimes, AND in agreement with citylover (as I stated earlier), I'm not condoning what happened, the shooter had EVERY God-given right to be mad, but it could've been handled another way. Not to make light of what happened, but I still stand by what I said in the 1st thread, STAY OFF THE DAMN GRASS! I will also side with Dougw on this, though. More than likely manslaughter charges will be in his favor, saying 0-5 years.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, why does his color matter?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quozl, why does his color matter?

It does not matter much Ferntruth, I think I saw that he had RED liver spots on his face, GRAY hair and YELLOW teeth with BLACK cavities too.

Kind of like a modern day RAINBOW man.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the two kids who walked across the lawn were illiterate and therefore unable to read the "Keep Off" signs...

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obey the law and obey peoples private and reasonable requests and you might be alright.

No guarantees!!!

neither party did these things and look where they ended up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.