Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kosciusko school- Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leslied
Username: Leslied

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone go to this school on Tireman? I taught there and was interested in this area. Near Rouge
Park/Warrendale.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Kosciusko from 1957 to 1963 and, in fact, I still live in the area. Kosciusko is scheduled to close at the end of this school year.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5846
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it's pitiful that a DPS School was named after a Polish American Revolutionary War Hero in a once dominant Polish Community of Warrendale is laid to WASTE all because the next generation of Poles Detroit families made a sweet escape to suburbs and filled up with black-folks.

Decreasing enrollment of Kosciusko Elementary School made it possible for the Detroit School Board to shut it down for good.

Leslied

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the area- I can't believe they will close it- but I did check it out this year after the strike- very low numbers. It was a nice neighborhood school.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it's pitiful that a DPS School was named after a Polish American Revolutionary War Hero in a once dominant Polish Community of Warrendale is laid to WASTE all because the next generation of Poles Detroit families made a sweet escape to suburbs and filled up with black-folks.

Decreasing enrollment of Kosciusko Elementary School made it possible for the Detroit School Board to shut it down for good.

I could have sworn that school was in Hamtramck, no?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is too bad but this generation of small families-declining population in Detroit and the loss of existing students to alternative schools is dooming many schools on the city.
When I was a kid many families had 6-8 or more kids not the case anymore.
My former high school-Redford is closing too

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes, you're thinking of Kosciuszko Middle School in Hamtramck, which is still open. The one closing is Kosciuszko Elementary School in the once predominantly Polish Warrendale neighborhood on Detroit's Westside.

Histog
Username: Histog

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Kosciusko from 1958 till 1960. Marie Guyton was principal when I attended. Our class was the first who started the tradition of donating artwork to the school. Our painting was called Red Horses and we all signed the back. As I recall, it hung near the office. What ever happened to it?

Leslied

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The painting is no longer there, I still talk to the other teachers there, it may be in storage behind the stage. What was they school like back then? I taught on the second floor and last year it was begining to leak. Was there ever a playground out back?

Ramcharger

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall the "Little Park" looked something like this (circa 1962)

In warm weather gym class was usually held outside. I guess security concerns prevent that these days.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter went to Kosciosko (yes, I know I'm misspelling it, but its too darned hard) in the 90's. She didn't like it very much so I transferred her to a charter school.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If students can switch schools just because they don’t like a particular school or some of the teachers at that school, it would explain why so many Detroit Public Schools are closing. I will never understand why John Engler set out to destroy public education in this state.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it may be in storage behind the stage.

I used to love going into the prop room behind the stage. It was always filled with such neat stuff.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the beauty of a free market system. If you don't like the goods and services being offered, you should be able to take your dollars (or child) elsewhere.

Leslied

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger- That is so cool! I will share that with the teachers in the building. I was curious for so long and the kids were too. Does anyone know exactly when the building was built?

Ramcharger

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leslied,

I took a walk over to the little park this morning. I see that the legs for the large swings are still there and seem in pretty good shape. All that would be needed are the swings and a coat of paint and they would be good to go. However, I suppose that in our lawsuit happy society the liability issue prevents the city from having the type of playgrounds we had when I was a boy. A few observations I made while I was there were that there are far fewer trees and far more grass in the park then when I was young The heavy kid traffic made for many bare spots and the east side of the park (along Hayden St.) was heavily wooded. In addition, the fence around the park is more than twice as tall as the one I remember.

As for the year the school opened, I would guess it was the fall of 1956. My sister, who is five years older than I am, remembers attending Dixon for Kindergarten thru third grade. She then attended Kosciusko for fourth, fifth and sixth grades, and then back to Dixon for seventh, eighth and ninth grades (Lessenger middle school opened in 62 or 63). I started Kindergarten at Kosciusko in the fall of 1957.

Maybe you could answer a couple of things about which I’ve been curious. Do the kids still pass from class to class in single file groups of five or six kids? Also, do they still use the basement for air raid/tornado drills? Going down there was always exciting and we had lots of air raid drills in the late 1950’s.

Leslied

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the kids do still pass in the hallways in the single file group! This was so new to me when I started working there. They still use the basement for tornado drills which the kids find thrilling. Thank you for all of your information, I will share it with the teachers before the school finally shuts its doors.

Histog
Username: Histog

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Leslied! Thanks for the info regarding the painting. I would love to know if it is in storage. Is there someone at the school that I might talk with? Kosciusko was a great school when I attended from 1958-1960. We had a very active Safety Patrol ( I still have a Pic) My friend George was the captain and somehow he was awarded a dog at the Kennel Show in Detroit for service on the patrol. If it was real cold, the principal, Mrs. Guyton. would make the safety boys hot coco. We had very good teachers and my favorite was Mrs Polk who taught sixth grade. We did move from class to class in lines and went to the basement for air-raid drills. Miss Hughes taught auditorium. We did radio plays where we would read from a script. We also brought ten to fifty cents each week to purchase savings stamps. Kosciusko also had a band and as I recall, a chorus. I think we sang at Ford Auditorium one time. Most parents worked in the auto industry. Most households, I would guess, had an average of three to five children and many mothers did not work. The ethnic make-up of the neighborhood was Polish, some Italian, and people from the South. The borders of our neighborhood were Evergreen to Rouge Park and Joy Road to Warren. It was great place to live.
There was a play ground which we refered to the Little Park. We did play softball on the gravel lot behind the school which ran along Hayden. I don't remember any other ball diamonds in the Little Park. They must have been put there after 1963 or 1964. The Little Park had quite a few trees and it was always very shady. We spent a lot of time in Rouge Park at the Sunkin Bridge, the White House and Derby Hill on Spinoza Dr., and of course Rouge Pools and Mic Mac sports.

(Message edited by histog on June 09, 2007)

Leslied

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool info! I'm going up to the school for fun day and I will check the storage area. I know school is not out unitl the 21st and everything must be out before the door shuts for good, so I will let you know what I find. I am very sad about this- I think the neighborhood is nice and the school was small and like a community. They will be merging with Lessenger next fall. I'll let you know what I find when I go up there next week!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.