Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Classic Traffic Signal of the Week (4-30-07) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember where I took this picture. It may have been off of Conner about a year ago. Anyway, this signal was made by Econolite and manufactured between 1954-1956. This body style was originally manufactured by General Electric in the early 1950s and then picked up by Econolite in 1954. If you look closely at the seams between each signal section you can see water and corrosion damage from the rain. In 1956 Econolite changed this particular casting to reduce the corrosion, so that puts this signal at circa 1954. It also still has its original glass lenses.

conner

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great post! Thanks for shedding light on what is normally something people would not even notice. How common are lights with original glass lenses? I bet they are pretty uncommon.

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all three, yes. There are surprisingly a lot left though. Appreciate the comments, thanks.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has got to be one of the more obscure fascinations I've seen on the forums but I love it.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting they used parts from the green style and didn't bother to strip and repaint them yellow.
Just pieced together with existing parts.

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This has got to be one of the more obscure fascinations I've seen on the forums but I love it."

You should hear the hell I catch from my girlfriend, LOL!

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, this is honestly so cool, I've always been kinda interested in traffic signals but never really followed up on it

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much would one of these cost the city?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This has got to be one of the more obscure fascinations I've seen on the forums

Yeah, so why not just have one thread on it instead of several?

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroit Signal,
I was just coming from the post office at Morang and Harper, and they are changing the signal lights at that intersection. I don't know how you get your signal lights for restoration but thought I would pass this info on to you.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was just coming from the post office at Morang and Harper, and they are changing the signal lights at that intersection.

That is just the new breed of metal scrappers looking like a public works crew. They replaced it with a plastic one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.