Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » B-17 Liberator Flyover « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Luv313
Username: Luv313

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody see the restored B-17 fly over yesterday? It was about 2 pm Sunday afternoon in the northern suburbs. I was wondering what the occasion was because I understand that there are only a few of those in existence with only one or two being in Michigan. The shiny aluminum aircraft body gleaming in the bountiful sunlight was a beautiful sight to see. The sounds of the engines roaring at a cool pace reminded me how proud I am to be an American knowing what that airplane contributed to this country during WWII. I think alot of them, if not all of them, were built here in Detroit too. Truly a genuine piece of Detroit "muscle" that deserves mention in this thread. Does anybody know why it was flying yesterday and where it was going?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It belongs to the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run.

It flies fairly often, you can ever hire it for a flight.

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/b17/b17flex.php

Here it is last summer.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonny Eliot out for a joyride?

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We live about 10 miles from Selfridge and are used to jets and helicopters flying around our area. But the sight of that beautiful aircraft flying in the skies yesterday was something to see.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it yesterday as well.. kool shit to see a 70 year old aircraft..

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luv313, if you clicked the link provided, you will learn that the B-17 is the 'Flying Fortress'. The Willow Run built B-24 was the 'Liberator’. I have seen the B-17 pictured fly due west over 9-Mile Road many times. Both aircraft flew missions over Europe in the Second World War.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both also flew in the Pacific, but the B-17 only early in the War.

Bob Cosgrove

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 7th and 8th you will be able to see the following at Willow Run:

17!!!! B25's
2 B17's
5 P51's
5 P47's

That will be a hell of a sight to see them come in. I had a chance to see the planes land during the bomboer symposium

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the finest men (Robert S. Tower) I ever knew was a pilot of one of those birds during WWII...he was shot down over Holland and spent 3 years in a POW camp...I was privileged to work for him in the '60's...Warren Woods Tower High School is named for him.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love these old planes, I think they're amazing and I am a huge fan of old military nose art. My mother, on the other hand, not a fan. She was a little kid in the Netherlands during WWII; she had difficulties watching Band of Brothers as the sounds (tons of planes rumbling over head) bring back those frightening memories for her.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would absolutely love to see that event! Alas, I live hundreds of miles away. Some day, I plan on saving the money and going on a ride in a B-17. It would be a truly awesome experience. For this non-Detroiter, where exactly is Willow Run?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6254
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman -

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q &hl=en&q=yip&ie=UTF8&z=13&om=1

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of B25s in the lineup for the July 7-8 event--http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org /airshow/aircraft.htm, but no B24 Liberators.

Is the B24 that difficult to restore, or were they all scrapped after the war?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the map, Aiw. Sounds like it will be a great show!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

of the 18,000+ B-24s, many many were scrapped. there were many hundreds of B-17s flown from the Wichita Boeing plant to Altus AFB in Oklahoma to be taken back apart and sold for scrap. im sure there were many '24s done this way as well...

the Yankee Lady (829) was at one time the only B-17 with functional superturbochargers. they are about $200,000 each to rebuild (in 1992 dollars). since these planes are no longer flown in the flight levels requiring the performance enhancement the 'chargers provide, most owners forego the expense...

the museum, when they started to restore the Lady, decided "hey, we live and play in the greatest industrial area in the world. why dont we get some corporate sponsorship to help get these 'chargers rebuilt." the museum ended up with 6 or 7 completely rebuilt (zero-timed) superturbo chargers for FREE. or so ive been told...

david

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blue Angels were supposed to be at the Willow Run show this year - have they cancelled their season or are they still a go?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigan.gov/homela nd/0,1607,7-173-23616-164605-- ,00.html

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics I shot at Willow Run in 2005.
Four B-17's flying the "Missing Man" formation.
It was billed as the largest gathering of B-17's since the end of the war. The most amazing part was standing behind the row of planes before they taxied. Nearly blew us over. I couldn't imagine sorties consisting of literally 1000 of these planes in the air at once.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably part of this.

The exhibit is very well done and is still going on if anyone is interested in attending.

Admission is free, but donations are encouraged.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, love these old warbirds and have gone from Maine to Oregon just to see them both on the ground and in the sky. And there are still representative B-17's, 24's, 25's and even a B-29 that still take to the air at various airshows.
Unfortunately,my favorite, the much maligned twin engine medium bomber, the Martin B-26 Marauder, is no longer flying as Kermit Weeks, warbird owner down in Polk City,Florida has elected to keep this rare old warrior on the ground though it was the last of several thousand built for the war effort that was still certified to fly. It probably has lost its certification by now, but still remains a very attractive static display at his museum there. There are only about 7 or so of the Martins left in various museums.
I've been aboard Week's Marauder in Oshkosh, WI at the huge EAA Airshow where she then flew, and have been to Polk City on three different occasions since just to say hello.
My uncle's B-26 was named Malarkey during the war. He was a Captain-pilot, but when he came home following VE Day, his beloved old Malarkey was left behind to be scrapped to help rebuild Germany as were so many of those old bombers. First they took the engines off, then they just blew 'em up with charges of dynamite, row after row after row.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luv313, I'm not sure whether or not I saw that particular plane fly over.

The one I saw had the same silhouette, definitely with four engines, flying due east at low altitude over northern Utica. It looked dark gray to me, not shiny, but that may have been because of my viewing angle. It was definitely not a commercial paint job.

Luv313

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jimaz, that was the one. It was the same one in the picture that AIW posted up, because I remember the red tail with the "L" on it.

Thanks for posting up all the information, guys; I'm definitely going to that air show in July. It'll probably bring back memories of me and my grandpa going to air shows and him telling me all kinds of stories about the planes; you know how grandparents are.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luv313, thanks. Well, what do you know. I wish I could have known ahead of time. I'd have had a camera ready!

Luv313

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just driving down the road and happened to look up. I swerved off to the side of the road into somebody's front yard and took in the moment.

Buffalobob0709
Username: Buffalobob0709

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May 7
I happened to see a B-17 flying quite low over San Rafael CA. I looked up a tour schedule and found out it was on its way to visit the Napa County Airport. What a sight! The roar of its engines was unforgettable.

The_rock

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Yankee Lady will be taking to the air again on Monday May 28 at the Yankee Air Museum Open House and again on July 6 and 7 at the Thunderfest Air Show.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Thunderfest Air Show?

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall seeing that plane flying over in the past few years. The sound is awesome. That is some real american iron or should I say aluminum! I love hearing the stories about them being shot to s#!t and still flying home. Hats off to our parents and grandparents built and flew these things that helped win the war!

The_rock

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Thunderfest(Thunder over Michigan) Air Show is the name of the air show conducted annually by the Yankee Air Museum. The website is yankeeairmuseum.com and you should be able to get the details there. It is a two day event, and is one of the best airshows in the country.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.