Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Red Wings not selling out playoff games « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been looking at the box scores and noticed that the Wings have not sold out at least three of their home playoff games. This would be unheard of in recent years. I'm guessing the economy in Mich is making people think they have other priorities than dropping around $100. for a ticket. My wife and I last went to a Wings playoff game in 2002 when we were still in Detroit and it cost us a bit over $200.
Has there been any comments in the Detroit media about the games not selling out? I see the Pistons are still selling out their playoff games.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been quite a bit of rumblings about the attendance on the local sports talk.

It sounds like the outrageous prices are to blame. I understand elevating the prices, but there is no way that I'm going to pay $90 per seat in the upper bowl...and I am a hardcore hockey fan. It's just not possible in this economy.

Hockey is a niche sport and that is understandable. The casual Detroit sports fan is likely to buy into the playoffs, but certainly not for that price.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think interest in the Wings is up compared to the last two-three years because they're a better, more energetic team, but the economy is down, and with prices that high ($90 for a top corner), you will see empty seats. I put about 10 percent of the blame on the fans, because I know there are fans who follow the team but don't have enough passion to pay for tickets the way that Tigers fans paid any amount for playoff tickets last year. I also blame them because they are spoiled and they are totally going wait-and-see on this team, and this also shows in the lack of energy among those who are at the games. But 90 percent of the blame still goes to Ilitch, who is not responding to the market, and who clearly doesn't care about the bad image of empty sections at playoff games. Dude...just give those tickets away if you need to.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people (me included) have had the luxury in the past of getting tickets from vendors as gifts. Most companies are hurting and can't afford to buy the tickets to hand out to their customers. I was lucky enough to go as a guest last Thursday. Upper bowl, $90. For free it was fun, but I would only be willing to pay about half that amount if I had to buy the ticket.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree on your first point Mackinaw. I don't think there is any question that attention to the Red Wings is way up this season. The fan base is making somewhat of a transition to a younger generation, much as the team has done.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I split a couple of season tickets with some friends. We've had tickets for 15 years. We had a long discussion about getting the playoff tickets this year.

One of the issues was the price. Our $54 regular season seats became $99 seats for the first round. They are $108 for the second round.

The Issue I had was with the regular season schedule. Since we seem to play so many games against really bad teams, I thought the Wings record was greatly inflated. I didn't believe the Wings were capable of winning the cup. I'm sure other long time fans thought the same as me. Judging by Nashville's first round bounce it looks like they had the same problem.

In the end we decided to only get the first and second rounds. We passed on the third round and stanley cup rounds. so expect to see way more seats open up if the Wings make the third round.

I'm huge hockey fan and long time Wings season ticket holder. My Dad was a long time Wings season ticket holder before me. My first hockey game was at the old forum in Montreal, when my family lived there. If I think the tickets are overpriced, I'm sure many other long time fans do also.

Now that my Dad lives in Nashville, He is a Nashville season ticket holder. He has great seats on the blue line 7 rows off the ice. His seats are only $11 more per game than my middle of the upper bowl seats. Similar seats at the Joe would be over $100 during the regular season. He has better seats, in a better arena, for a similar quality hockey product, at a much better price.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along with the bad economy and high prices I think one should realize that even in a good sports town like Detroit you can only push it so much. We presently have the Pistons going strong, the Tigers drawing very well and close to capacity sometimes ( which is unheard of in early season before ) and the Red Wings which seem to be selling at 90-95% of capacity. Its a bit of a shocker for the Wings but overall with all the attendance downtown its nothing to be really ashamed of, There has been 60,000 plus sport fans milling downtown on weekends lately which is good by any means.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill,

You are absolutely correct. The attendance the Tigers are drawing is amazing. Typically, attendance really doesn't start booming until after school gets out for the summer. However, the Tiger's avg attendance is already higher than last year. 2006's average attendance at Comerica Park was 32,048. So far this year, after 12 games, the average attendance is 32,582. This number is almost guaranteed to go up as the weather warms up and the kids are out of school. The Tigers have a VERY good chance of breaking their attendance record this year if they have another good season.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long does it take for Mike I. to take a hint??????

I am a huge wings fan, but those prices are ridiculous.

On ticketmaster.com, you can find blue line 4th row tickets 1 hour before the game starts........ for $153.00 apiece. Pfff!

Make it affordable, or suffer the losses.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the radio yesterday they mentioned that the Pistons had 500 $18 tickets, the next cheapest is $44. The Wings cheapest seats are around $66.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticket, gas to get there and back, parking, food/beer = watching the game at home Thanks Mike!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is a combo of factors:

sports overload (Tigers winning, Pistons and Wings in playoffs)

Company freebies - way down

Local economy - sucks

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11542
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not hard to believe, most of the Wings fans have jumped ship and headed over to Comerica Park. Ilitch is still getting his money either way.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best seat in the house ... is in your own house. Priceless.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to go to some of the Wings games should I be in Detroit. But even though I usually only get to 1 or 2 games at the Joe a year, even I'm not so sure I'd pay the prices they're asking.

It is just too much. I might be more inclined to mosey down to CoPa. I'd rather watch the Wings than the Tigers, but not for 3-4x the price!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5088
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mighty Detroit entertainment dollar is getting stretched thin is what's going on. If anyone's on any sort of budget, one's gotta decide where their hard earned dollar's going to go.

I'm wondering if the fact that all of the games are broadcast also hurt the attendance. Now there are distinct differences between actually attending the game and the comforts of one's home. Each has its own nuances and conveniences.

I'm just thankful that we don't cheer on the Blackhawks- where the owner hardly broadcasts any games and has no local interest other than the true die hards. At least with our Wings, we're given an option to attend the games or watch them at home.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the kicker. I was watching the Tigers game last night and Rod and Mario did a minute or so staged bit advertising the Tiger's Family Fun Pack or whatever. 4 tickets plus 4 dogs plus 4 pops plus popcorn (I think) for $62! That's $30 cheaper than than 1 ticket in the worst part of the Joe for the Wings!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 tix, 4 dogs, 4 pops, $63.

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a life time fan of the Wings, there is only 1 more home game left for this year, as S J is too much of a match for our beloved Wings. It has been a much better playoff run this year as Datsyuk has finally scored in the playoffs.They still are not a playoff contender. What are the prices gonna be when the new arena goes up. Whew!!, only Mike Il knows for sure.
Go Wings Go, and thanks for a good season

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Supersports comments.... yup... Mike Ilitch is getting his money... either at the Joe or at CoPa.... or if people would rather gamble their money away... then Marion Ilitch is getting it at MotorCity.

It's a win, win, win situation for the Ilitch's!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C-p.

I hope you saw tonight's game :-)

3-1 and I'd agree with you. A hit off a defensemen and the post, a 2-2 tie, and Stanley just might be coming back to Hockeytown, where it belongs!

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome 81, yes I did, and it works like a charm for me , anytime I bet against the Wing , they end up winning.
I'm gonna keep up my system,(hopefully to something more than just getting past the Shark).
What a finish to another scary start of a game.
I'm gonna end up getting early repeats on my hi blood press med's.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the posts about the level of interest and the ticket prices. Just from a personal anecdotal level, I perceive that the level of interest in the Wings is up considerably this year. The team is fun to watch and has a great combination of veterans and young talent. We're very lucky to have this team.

But the team has clearly overshot the local market with the ticket prices. Many of the individual everyday-Joe (non-corporate) season ticket holders are tapped out by the cost of the regular season tickets. Doubling, tripling and quadrupling the prices for the playoffs just makes it too expensive regardless of the level of interest in the team. Lower bowl third round tickets (the Wings will make it that far) will be something like $250.00 apiece. Even alot of businesses will balk at that cost. I think that it is entirely possible that there will be empty seats for the third round.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the above factors combined with the fact that the price of an HDTV set has dropped tremendously as of late contribute to the poor attendance.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What amazes me is the Wings' stubbornness in this situation. Other teams (Lions, Pistons) have routinely "purchased" their own tickets that remained unsold and donated them to various charities. The Lions used to do this when they were close to a Silverdome sellout to avoid a TV blackout, and the Pistons have done it in the recent past, too. There is nothing to be gained by sitting on several hundred tickets when they could be donated to charity or youth groups. The more people who come down to the game, the more money to be made, simple as that. More parking revenue, more food/drink purchases, more souvenirs, etc. Plus it makes the game an "official" sell-out, and there are fans in the seats. Stubbornness and stupidity. Amazing.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed something watching the game last night. The difference in crowd energy between "hockey towns" and the newer cities is very noticable. For instance, when you watch a game in the Canadian cities, or the original hockey cities up north, fans cheer for more than goals and saves. When a puck is cleared during a power play, the crowd roars. The crowd cheers when a player is faked out of his skates, whether it results in a goal or not.

You don't see this in the newer hockey cities. I just found that interesting. I don't know if it's knowledge of the game or what.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why won't the Wings do what the Pistons do - 500 to 1000 seats for the playoffs at $18 a piece?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336,

They've had it SO GOOD for so long that they got greedy. It's too late for this year. Maybe they will learn for next season.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the most depressing thing about the Red Wings - I want to go to a playoff game very badly, but I can't bring myself to buy an upper bowl ticket for $70.00 X 2 + food/drink + parking = way too much. If I wanted to really enjoy the game, I would have to be in the lower bowl which equals $$$! Way TOO Much!

C'mon Mike...... allow the masses to come. I would definitely splurge for lower bowl tix if they were 20 - 30 bucks cheaper, but what they are asking is still too high.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're missing an important point here about the Red Wings playoff games: For the first time in many years there is NO market for scalped tickets. Mike Illitch has priced the tickets a little higher than scalpers would normally receive. Therefore, even if he doesn't sell out every game, he gets maximum ticket price for each and every ticket. This really is great marketing, unfortunately. If you really want to attend a Wings game there are many ticket broker who offer tickets at a discount. See ebay or the local papers for outstanding bargains.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.