Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Banking in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question for all Detroit residents out there.

I'll be moving to the city very soon, probably somewhere in the vicinity of Midtown/Woodbridge/Corktown. Where is the best place to do my banking? I've been at TCF but closed my account today since they have no branches in the city. I'd like to avoid Comerica.

Are credit unions a possibility?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chase has a strong presence and LaSalle (Bank of America) is opening branches in the center city. There's Charter One, too.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit unions abound. Michigan First is a good one.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Lasalle - lots of branches, plus most CVS stores have their atm's

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit Union One was my credit union when I lived in Detroit. They only have one location downtown however (on Monroe just east of Campus Martius), but I was very happy with them. www.cuone.org

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chase has a wide variety of locations from the east side (I believe on Gratiot) all the way over to Warrendale. The advantage of many locations in the city is the much wider range of free bank ATM's all the branch locations provide.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to truly support the community, choose First Independence Bank (FIB) http://www.finb.com locally, african-american owned bank.

There are some inconveniences - their ATM spread is shallow compared to the others, but as far as presence in the city of Detroit they're pretty good.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chase because of the many locations, friendly staff and number of ATM's. There's one on Gratiot and Warren, Kelly in Harper Woods (bordering the city), Woodward in Boston-Edison, Downtown Branch (old NBD head).

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the one on Trumbull in corktown a little understocked on things like check registries but they do provide good service.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, there's one on 8 Mile & Van Dyke, and Jefferson in Harbortown.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been happy with National City, and they have a nice presence in the city too. Otherwise, I would say go with Chase...

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully you can find a good credit union at this website http://www.lovemycreditunion.o rg/

*disclosure - I work at a credit union

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"MSU Federal Credit Union... We've got your best interest at heart!"

:D

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any experience with Premier Financial Credit Union?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With so many bank holdups, I would suggest you keep your money safe in your mattress.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no MSU credit union in Detroit, though, only allied credit unions.
National City is handling my mortgage. I'm currently with Huntington, but it's only area location is Hamtramck on Campau.
And The_rock, the bank holdups have mostly been in the 'burbs. This guy's talking about moving to Detroit.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica has always been a good institution and they employ more people here than most of those other banks, I'd say go with them unless you really think the working class people of Detroit should pay a price because Comerica is moving a few of their officers to Dallas...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 902
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your credit union is a member of the co-op network (as most are), then you can go to basically any credit union's ATM and it is treated as your own. http://www.co-opfs.org/public/ locators/atmlocator/index.cfm The reason is because credit unions are local (occasionally regional) businesses so through this exchange they have more power to compete with national banks.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the right thing. Bank at Comerica; most branches, most ATMs, nicest employees etc. Keep Comerica from sending its remaining 7000 employees to TX. Or, punish them because they're moving 200 employees there over the next 3 years; cut off your nose to spite your face.

(I'm a shareholder and I approve this message.)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica doesn't want regular accounts. Its a long-time business stance. Comerica wants business accounts. Listen to Comerica commercials - when was the last time you heard one that encourages personal banking?

To keep people from trying to open or even keep small personal accounts, Comerica charges huge fees. Really, it won't hurt them, or their employees if you and I don't bank with Comerica.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do your banking in the city, make sure you don't go into the branches on the 3rd and 17th of the month. They are usually lined up out the door with no-accounts cashing gub-ment checks.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap...I bank with Comerica and pay no fees at all, unless I bounce a check (which I haven't done in a LONG time). They had to make that move to stay competitive. I have been with them for over 30 years...since they were Detroit Bank & Trust. Opened my account in a downtown branch in 1976 while working in the Lafayette Building.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Bank of The Commonwealth (or was it Manufacturers National Bank?). It is a well run institution based in Saudi Arabia. I used to work there many years ago and I can assure you they have lots of (old) money in reserves. Many Motown royalty checks went through there.

Oh, is it called Comerica today?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 26, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.