Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Gorcyca asks for leniency for laid off auto worker turned bank robber « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070501/NEWS03/ 70501029

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He thought it was bad finding a job in Michigan after being laid off? Now no one will hire him with that on his record.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around this one...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...he pretended to faint – a move he would later tell police would guarantee him a jail cell and three meals a day."

I'm not sure what good it would do sending him to jail since that's what he wanted. Sounds like he needs psychological help pertaining to dealing with difficult situations more than anything else.
Save the taxpayers some money and hopefully this guy can get some help.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will make Faux news in 10...9...8...7...6

...and you can bet they'll say DETROIT instead of Oakland Co.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a Kim Worthy pulled this shit you can bet your ass that someone would call for her head. I guess its okay to drive drunk and carry a loaded gun into a bank in Oakland Co, just as long as you "satisfy" the right people.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is a mechanical engineer, but cannot find a job anywhere.

Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange, must be more to this story

Iheartthed

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess its okay to drive drunk and carry a loaded gun into a bank in Oakland Co, just as long as you "satisfy" the right people."

And fit the right profile...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11541
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The guy is a mechanical engineer, but cannot find a job anywhere.

Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

You must not be from around here, eh?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope this doesn't become a trend.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say anywhere in Michigan, SS.

Given that it was widely reported that even the college students are going to leave Michigan as soon as they graduate, this doesn't bode too well to those who already have degrees.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MEs in SE Michigan are trained as a part of their continuing education to always ask if their future customers wanted fries added to their orders.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4317
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the guy was 61 as well. I doubt any company in Michigan will hire a 61 year old engineer.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Computer Sci grads from UoM who have not yet had any Michigan job offers. One graduated three years ago without even one interview in MI.

Yet, he works in Detroit retail for $7/hr. Go figger...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he's a former campaign contributor!!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 891
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isnt he at the age to debate possibly early retirement not continued working

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engineer or not, B.Sc., M.Sc, even P.E. - are unemployed in this region. I don't find it hard to believe at all.

I know of people similar in situation to what Livernoisyard stated above. Comp. Sci graduate, ME, EE, ChemE., and whateverE ..... have been seeking jobs for the past 6-12 months - nothing ! MichWorks.org the state-sponsored organization that your tax dollars fund, can't help them anymore because the resume writing seminar, interview skills seminar, and etc. aren't helping one bit.

Don't be so comfortable if you're currently working, because the rug can be pulled out under you at any time, and then when you can't pay your mortgage and your gas/electric bill ..... perhaps you will start to relate to the feeling of being helpless and hopeless.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9008
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes him any different than someone living on the street that decides to rob a bank to help his plight?

This smacks of classism if you ask me. He is getting a pass because he is educated and more people can relate to him. I think it is utter bs.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This smacks of classism if you ask me. He is getting a pass because he is educated and more people can relate to him. I think it is utter bs.

Wake up, Jt1! Ingest some caffeine. Rarely do any criminals really do time--whatever race or class they belong to...

I'm referring back to when I last lived in Wisconsin some ten years ago. Back then, some 80% of convicted felons were granted probation instead of prison. But the probability of doing any time whatsoever is even much less than that when one considers how the criminal justice system operates.

It routinely reclassifies a large percentage of arrested criminals on felony charges to misdemeanors in order to speedily dispatch them through the judicial process. And the unfortunate few who do do time are often granted early release because there's no place to place them all. That's the way the real world operates...

Mcp001

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a word JT1: Absolutely nothing!

Even someone from LaSalle Bank couldn't believe what was going on with this guy's case.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rarely do any criminals really do time--whatever race or class they belong to... "

Unless they rob a bank!

Edit: And isn't this the same prosecutor who was holding an office pool over how long it would take another individual in a high profile case to return to prison?

(Message edited by iheartthed on May 02, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I'm not defending the actions of Oakland County's DA. I'm just spelling out the facts of life.

Most captured criminals do not ever do time except for the time served before conviction or reclassification of charges for those unfortunate enough to not being able to post bail. That's no closely guarded secret, but a factoid well known to all players in the criminal justice system.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9010
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be interested to see what the average sentence of a bank robber is. If it is consistent with this, great but if there is a precedent or typical sentence then I have an issue with it.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't stealing a loaf of bread, the guy robbed a bank! Thats a federal crime. And if he didn't get a case of the nerves before he ran out the door he would have had the FBI after him, not the Oakland County Prosecutor. Now "time served" is sufficient to rehabilitate him? He must be Gorcyca's brother-in-law

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why bitch about this particular case when just about every DA or federal prosecutor does this (or similar) type of "plea bargaining" on a routine, daily basis? This one case just happens to be publicized. Why not bitch about all the others that the public never hears about too, while you're at it?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.