Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Photo XXXVII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure exactly where this is. It may or may not be Detroit.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, but there are a few subtle clues that might help others: note the "Red Cross" in the window of the office next door to AAA and also the unusual pole next to the mailbox in front of AAA.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if it comes down to narrowing it down to a few choices, the use of the PO's letter-drop Web site could come in handy because most of the ancient letter drop sites are still in place today.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that whoever took the picture was just trying to get a shot of the babe crossing the street.

Ookpik

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz, you are more correct than you realize. I have thousands of photos from this photographer and he/she never seemed to pass up the opportunity to photograph a woman, especially from behind.

Ookpik

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA! If the photographer were reading this thread today, he'd probably ask "Buildings? What Buildings?"

Jimaz

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Ookpik, do you plan on publishing a book of these photos someday? If so, it sounds like a great project. I'd buy a copy.

Ookpik

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, that is one of the many possibilities I am considering. Whatever I decide, I would like to make the collection available to the widest audience possible whether that be via a book, the internet, donation, exhibition, etc.

I mean, who wouldn't want to pay $25 and go to the DIA and see a photo like this:

Ookpik

Jimaz

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! I caught myself looking for clues of the location in the background waves then realized that this is Terryh's field of expertise.

Spot that rump.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The columned building on the far right seems like it would be immediately recognizable to anyone familiar with the street.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back on topic, one of those buildings looks like the style in Rochester or Utica but the others don't match.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean, who wouldn't want to pay $25 and go to the DIA and see a photo like this:

I wouldn't.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Pam on that one.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a Detroit fire hydrant.

What is up with the lightpost? Is that from Detroit?

Also, I can't make it out, but there is a sign on the white building to the right of the red cross building. Also in front of that building seems to be a panel truck with some naming on the side....

Lilpup

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't read it but the sign on the white building looks a lot like a Western Union sign, doesn't it?

This doesn't feel like a Detroit photo - it seems more like a small city in the two-block-long downtown category.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adrian, Michigan

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! Granny was smokin' in her day.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note this woman is carrying what appears to be an envelope in her left hand and what appears to be some sort of clutch in her right.
Perhaps a small change purse.
Also note she is wearing what appears to be an apron, she is also wearing low flat shoes
and the hair is done in a tail as to infer that she didn’t want her hair to interfere with her work.
My guess would be she was a waitress or some counter help.
Her age at the time of the image was in the area of eighteen to thirty noting her stride and posture.

Just giving my observations of this image.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do take into account that your observations could very well be obsolete when taking into Account the AAA and waht appears to be a flower shop in the direction she's walking.

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 07, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 07, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting observations Flybydon. I felt that she was going to mail a letter as not only is there an envelope in her hand but a mail box directly in her path.

Ookpik

Urbanize

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the style of the buildings, it may be an exburban Town in some other place.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize: I'm missing the flower shop.
Are you seeing more than I?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donno, Flybydon. You see all that? All I see is a fine chick with a hot ass. (Are we officially stumped on this one Ookpik?)

Ookpik

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think so. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even Michigan let alone somewhere in/near Detroit. I will post this one on my photoblog located here and maybe someone will recognize the location.

Ookpik

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,
I believe the building you are trying to identify on your photoblog is by the architect H.H. Richardson. If memory serves the photo is of the Allegheny County Courthouse and jail,in Pittsburgh, Pa. If not,Richardson's work is pretty well documented and should be fairly easy to cross ref. Hope this helps.

Detroitfan

Lilpup

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have any other photos that might be related to this one - from a different angle, taken/printed on the same day, bundled in the same batch like they're off the same roll, etc.?

Ookpik

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitfan - Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure it is the courthouse but it definitely appears to be the work of H.H. Richardson.

Lilpup - I do but unfortunately they do not help - kids playing, baby, lady with a little girl, etc., etc. Typical family stuff that doesn't provide any additional clues.

Ookpik

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 888
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too, first thought that other photo was of the Allegheny County Courthouse. But since it had been ten years since I had last seen it, I checked out some images of the Courthouse and it is clearly not the building in Ookpik's old photo.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,I know this is a shot in the dark but: I sent an e-mail to AAA of Detroit to see if they could help us out. I'll let you know if they send back a response.

Ookpik

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bullet! :-)

Ookpik

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ook, I did receive a response from AAA today. I could not determine if it was a bot or human, but they did get back. I wrote a follow up to the original question to keep the ball rolling. I would be happy to forward AAA’s e-mail response to you if wish. If you don’t want to publish your e-mail address here, let me know and I will give you one of mine.

Bullet

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh! Write AAA and ask them if they have anything written about a cute chick with a hot ass ever mailing a letter near one of their offices that probably closed a few decades ago.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I should have told you earlier Livernoisyard, but I sent them a link to this page!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be surprised at how much old information and data from the past wasn't saved at all and was disposed after but a few years, especially before computerization, which started during the 1950s or 1960s. Most newspapers didn't even go digital until the late 1970s.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said: A shot in the dark...And, we may be surprised at what was saved, after all, the photo was.

Ookpik

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet - If you don't mind, please post your e-mail address. I would be interested to read AAA's response - canned or not.

Thanks!

Ookpik

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the fire plug.It doesn't look like any I have seen in Detroit.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

john_doe395@hotmail.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.