Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What is being built at 14th & I75? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the new building being built on the north east corner of 75 and 14th?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A church

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you serious Broken_main or just messin'? Seems to be an odd place for a church in the Corktown neighborhood there.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A church......In a neighborhood....shocking....

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good because at the moment, Detroit only has 1 church per every 5 residents...this should help bring that ratio down to 4...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I was gonna say that that would be shocking except that 90% of that neighborhood's residents are gone and I think that its original 'neighborhood church' went with it....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9065
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a Mormon church being built around there, too, or is this the building in question?!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a Mormon church being built around there"

That would really really surprise me!!!

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so surprised as well! Crazy stuff!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be TOO surprised. The LDS church is, so I hear, the fastest-growing denomination there is.

Gannon

Post Number: 9069
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm taking a bike ride with my camera for youse here in a minute.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I asked the contractor...the answer that they gave me was "I think it's a church". So i took that as a definite answer. We will see.

Gannon

Post Number: 9074
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, took in a great Slows dinner and a pint of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter...then another pint of Guinness at the Gaelic League...and rode across the street for some good shots in the sunset lighting...but there are NO signs anywhere on the building.

Too boring to waste even digits on, and it was getting too chilly for my shorted ass...I'll try to get some shots another day.

I got confirmation from my favorite 'jack' Mormon that it is indeed the new LDS church...they might only use the term temple for the big ones, didn't get the chance to ask him that.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 941
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the large Mormon churches/temples are usually nothing less than extremely ornate and fancy. I guess I never believed that the City of Detroit could use another one of those, but I guess it does.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then it definitely isn't a temple, as cinder blocks abound

Gannon

Post Number: 9085
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We haven't seen the veneer yet.

Didja see the Muslim Mosque being built on Ford Road for all those years?!

It didn't look like much for a very long time either.

I'm curious, though, I've never seen a church with such a garage door on it...

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mormons have held services at the CPA building for a while, so it makes sense that they would move to establish a place of their own and not have to use makeshift facilities.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 945
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still hard for me to imagine that there is a concentration of Mormons in the area, let alone any concentrations of people. Are the Irish in corktown converting?

Gannon

Post Number: 9099
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, not if my favorite jack Mormon has his way...he says he entertains the youngun' missionaries often, and always tries to give them something to think about.

Saw a few of them riding their bikes on Woodward after lunch today...they're easy to spot. Ain't TOO many dressed up white dudes riding bikes in pairs in the city.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon, i think you just found the reason for the garage door.... bike storage

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4246
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the beautiful closed churches in Detroit, it's a wonder why they started from scratch...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.