Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit water department waste « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On 10th street, between Church and Bagley, there are two Detroit Water Department manhole covers that, for the past 2 1/2 weeks, have been spurting out a stream of fresh water. I have mad a number of call to the city, with no response. This is about 2 gallons every minute. Thats over 50,000 gallons of water being pumped out and send 200 yards down into the storm drains. I have made several calls to the water department amd to the city, and so far, the only thing that has happened, is that D.W.P put some cones up around the pool that has formed on Bagley.
Can somebody with some connections make a call
and stop this waste of a natural resourse.
Thank you.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9081
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Corktown Cousin told me at dinner tonight that their water was piss yellow today.

He called the Department, and was told to let the water run a bit since they were working on things.

Took a while, but it finally cleared up...his anti-flouride self was a wee un-nerved, though.

They live at 11th and Leverette, right around the block from this...I'd bet Corktown Mark might have some news, too.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 942
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's oldest neighborhood probably has the oldest water mains?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the manhole covers have EJIW (East Jordan Iron Works) on them? Thats where my husband works as a programmer Detroit is a major customer of EJIW

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we must be on a differant line. water is clear and cold right out of the tap at my place. Actually I am a little closer to the leak then your cuz but maybe on a differant service source.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My Corktown Cousin told me at dinner tonight that their water was piss yellow today

Hey Gannon, maybe he should check the Chlorine Residual in the water to see if he is getting 1.0 mg/L. It might be a cost-cutting measure by the City of Detroit and his neighborhood is getting effluent recycled from the Wastewater plant.

Just a thought.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9098
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought...to pulverize his precious fears of mass-utility delivered products into MANY wee pieces that could all grow into their own neuroses...he reads and posts here, I'll have to run over and do some psychological triage now.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.