Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Velvet Peanut Butter Logo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a copy of the Velvet Peanut Butter Logo that they can post here? This is another one of those brands that I thought was everywhere, but no one here in Arizona knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those three little brats that used to be on the side of their building?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard the Velvet Peanut Butter recipe & rights belonged to a subsidiary of Ralston-Purina I found on Google Image Search an old image from this forum. My brother went to school w/the last "brat" & he was typecast, I ran into an actor guy out west who started out with the "Peanut Butter Players"-they would perform fairytales @ schools & were sponsored by Velvet. I found images of an old jar & lid on E-Bay(check completed listings)& Jason Stollsteimer of the Von Bondies wears a shirt w/the logo on it(which I would kill to have)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were the labels affixed under each brat? Fresh? Pure?.........What else? That velvet sure would melt nice on toast!

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh, Pure, Delicious.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My search of teh Google only lists one measly link for Velvet, which points to a (useless) placeholder on a "Detroit Pictures" website.

Eons ago, my parents used to buy Velvet peanut butter all the *@(~% time.

I did not even realize it had disappeared from the scene. When did that happen?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1968 I went with my cub scout troup on a field trip (in my den mother's '55 Buick) to the Velvet Peanut butter factory in Livonia. It was on the south side of Schoolcraft, long before the Jeffries I-96 freeway came through there, and seemed a long way from 7 mile/Lahser, where we were all from. I remember huge sacks of peanuts in the warehouse section, the machines that ground them up, but my most vivid memory of that was the "Goober and Grape" line, the machine that poured peanut butter and jelly into the jars (four jars abreast, very quickly). At the conclusion of the tour we were all given a jar of "Goober and Grape" to take home. The last jar of Velvet I saw in a supermarket was produced by ConAgra in Arkansas.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they brought back Sanders, they can bring back Velvet peanut butter...Cambrian, there was nothing like it melted on hot bread.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a 3-1/2 story apartment building on the SW corner of West Grand Boulevard and Third that had one of its brick walls painted with the iconic Velvet triplets. Long gone.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to see that Velvet painted sign every day ...it's amazing how something like that disappears, and you don't notice.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of it.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a nice copy of the Velvet Peanut Butter logo. I'll post it tonight when I get home.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click here to see a Velvet Peanut Butter ad, circa 1954.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ velvet.jpg

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet was the best. It contained peanuts and salt. Period. No sugar. My dad used to polish the floors at the plant office on Friday nights, and I'd go with him. I remember the huge mirrors above the vats, allowing you to see the PB being mixed inside. It was cool.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy,
Where was the Velvet plant?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on the south side of Schoolcraft just west of Middlebelt.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reuseable tumblers to boot! Jelly came this way too. Now thats common sense recycling.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Ed_golick! That was just what I was looking for. I have a five year old nephew who looks just like "Fresh" and I wanted to show his family tonight.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to know a girl who said that she was just like Velvet Peanut Butter; fresh, pure and delicious. Found out later that she was a little nutty and not so pure.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the guy that owned it retired. I also remember there was a big deal when peanut prices went up and he said it was hurting the business.
It's true about the ingredients. The best peanut butter I ever had.
Anyone remember the owner's name?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a scan of the lid of the jar I have:

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that meaning of "fresh" has just about disappeared since then. From the look on the kid's face, it looks like they're depicting the "overly bold" meaning of fresh.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the 3 lbs tubs, and you had to stir the oil up that was on top to get the right consistency. They made great pails for sand castles at Metro!

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember just staring at how odd the boys' faces are when I was eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid. When growing up in Westland, I never knew just how much of the things we bought was made locally. I just thought these things were everywhere else too. Like this Velvet peanut butter, Better Made (Maid?) Potato Chips, Towne Club pop, Vernors....

Never in a thousand years would I have remembered the name of the Velvet peanut butter until someone brings it up. It makes me wonder just how many memories like this I have that I just can't remember on my own. You just take for granted the thousand things that make/made up your life and never realize it's gone until someone says, "Do you remember ...."

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the smooth or "creamy" Velvet peanut butter had a multi-color label while the crunchy peanut butter had the brown label.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought the three kids on the label were earlier incarnations of the Pep Boys.

Feh. Me & my wild imagination as a kid.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my wife used to live in the "Peanut Butter Building" on Third & the Boulevard back in the late 70's while working on her master's in art at WSU. She claims the rents were dirt cheap, the roaches ferocious, but the neighbors great and diverse. Many stories, art-inspirations, heartbreaks and unconscious times were had back then!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to get Twin Pines milk home delivered in the brown bottles. Mr Myers was our milkman. He actually watched us for a while after my mom had to take my brother across the alley to get him stitched up (at the clinic on Greenfield) after I pushed him into the corner of our concrete porch.
That wouldn't happen today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.