Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mezzanine GRAND OPENING « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who's been? i went yesterday. It's a minimalist high end contemporary furniture store, cool stuff, funky location in the heart of the broadway cooridor across from YMCA.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mezzanine.

Just sayin'.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't been yet, but Mezz, along w/ the Bureau of Urban Design, are both on my to do list.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benzedrine, dexedrine, mezzanine... what's the difference?

Archy
Username: Archy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went today...The owners aren't done yet they have about a third of the space open to the public with some of the first round of furniture and accessories in the space. The stuff they had was nice though. The elevator ride is fun...I haven't been in an attended manual elevator in awhile! They still have work to do but should be a nice store when all done.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was soooooooo GAY....NOT A BAD THING, JUS AN OBSERVATION. IT'S LOCATION ON THE 2ND FLOOR MADE ME FEEL LIKE I WAS IN NYC.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ According to ModelD, I think that's what the intent is...whether you knew it or not. If you didn't, then I guess the owner hit a home run...bravo for him!!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish them good luck - nice to see places like that and the Bureau for Urban Living. We need places like that Downtown to make it a vibrant place!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9055
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We need places like that Downtown to make it a vibrant place!

And places like that need customers to stay in business. If you like the place make sure you support it instead of 'meaning to get there.'

Not directed at you, just a general comment.

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the mezzanine?? where is it

Jt1

Post Number: 9058
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mezzanine-online.co m/news/

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and don't forget

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/mezzanine9207.asp x

"soooooooo GAY" huh? It's about time.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 833
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this place is awesome! The Mod furniture and accessories are exactly what I have been looking for and can only find in snobby shops in Birmingham. Now, I don't have to drive all that way!

Besides, the owner is quite easy on the eyes.... :-)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really curious, what makes a store "soooooo gay" Downtown Remix?

I think the place is beautiful. The vast expanse of windows are great, the furniture is amazing. I am confident this store will succeed!!

Props to the owner for opening in the CBD!!!!!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 836
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mezzanine is more expensive, Fury13.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the buzz lasts longer.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

may I ask? If the store is on the 2nd fl , whats on the first floor?

Whoever said that this reminds them of being in NYC well, hate to break it to you but in NYC just like anywhere else business owners flee from any space but the first floor.

I have seen very, very, very little business of this nature done above 1 st level.

I hope they do succeed but me thinks in Detroit just as any other city in the U.S. people will pass on going in simply because it is not on the first floor.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People will come because it is a destination type store.Hopefully those walking back to their cars from a cultural event i.e music hall, the fox etc, etc may also check it out. I don't know much but being on the 2nd floor seems wholly unimportant.

I love the whole midcentury thing. If I could afford it I would buy at Mezzanine.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

may I ask? If the store is on the 2nd fl , whats on the first floor?

Whoever said that this reminds them of being in NYC well, hate to break it to you but in NYC just like anywhere else business owners flee from any space but the first floor.

I have seen very, very, very little business of this nature done above 1 st level.

I hope they do succeed but me thinks in Detroit just as any other city in the U.S. people will pass on going in simply because it is not on the first floor.

Um, yeah, Wally2times? I hate to break it to YOU, but I think you need to visit NYC a little more often. The ICF Group and M2L, two of the biggest modern furniture dealers in NYC, both have second floor showrooms.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. This second floor concept didn't just pop into my head over mimosas one Sunday.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi City Lover,

well, I hope they do make it because the city needs a real boost economically but I just have to disagree, being street level to any business is of major importance.

Visibility and Foot traffic being one. Laziness being second.

Jt1

Post Number: 9059
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

well, I hope they do make it because the city needs a real boost economically but I just have to disagree, being street level to any business is of major importance.

Visibility and Foot traffic being one. Laziness being second.

Depends upon the type of store. As stated above this is more high-end, destination type goods. Drunks walking back form the Tigers game aren't going to impulse by a chair for $1200. I would suspect the business model is higher priced items requiring less volume.

I am guessing that the business plan isn't based upon selling 1000 $11 items a month. Those places really need visibility and foot traffic but Mezzanine is for a smaller niche audience that will find them.

All my opinion - I am not speaking on behalf of the store.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you don't even have to go to the second floor store if you don't want to! Just shop, buy ans ship online; Jesus people...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9106
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jt1.

All these diatribes of 'common retail sense' are again just averages of numbers through the common retail model of 'come one, come all'.

Can't anyone see that by design the stuff Dial has done on the second floor will filter the non-customers away...or better yet, INSURE that those who DO make it are way more inclined to be purchasers, so he isn't wasting resources being a tour guide...chasing folks away from loitering...making it easy for any undesirables to smash-and-grab merchandise from the front windows.

Nah, in MY business as well I'd welcome a display store off the beaten path. As an old retail floor veteran, in anything from a high-end Men's Clothing operation at a mall to a great number of hifi stores to car sales, I've come to appreciate that being on the first floor in an easy to reach highly visible area makes for a river of time wasters.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HMM GOOD POINT,,, I look forward to seeing more loft conversions along the Broadway and Harmony park areas that can support these new stores. "Rags" high end clothing store on the ground level below Mezzanine, also Specticles Urban wear.

Blondy

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has nobody gone and checked it out??

Two years ago this forum would have been full of reports on the store.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9126
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll go Friday afternoon...I've got this thing against shopping in places where I just KNOW I'll be spending money, heh. ONLY until, of course, I have it to spend.

Friday will be a total fashion party, ending with that Launch, Vol.I at the FD Lofts...with the Wound Menswear Collection, Camillo's art and a few djs. It only seems right to start it all at Mezzanine.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went last weekend and fell in love with the coat trees - actually shaped like trees!! I'm ordering them today!!

Blondy

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those coat trees really are adorable. I liked the thick rugs too, I forget what they are called, but they have like one color in the middle of each strand.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you like this place for your furniture, don't forget Bureau Home Design on Canfield (across from TJ's, next to MCBW) the new home wares store... (plus you can buy my soap and greeting cards there!)

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andylinn i think i bought one of your cards!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume this place is above RAGS but I have not seen a sign that says "Mezzanine." Where do you go in?

(Message edited by royce on June 07, 2007)

Rayls
Username: Rayls

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a great store in Ann Arbor.......but will even the wealthy in Detroit stop looking for a discount alternative for their retail desires? Quit window shopping and buy something! Then wear that fabulous wristwatch to Avalon or your next free wine and cheese art show. Detroit would rather let a great retail space fail than pay full price. Just ask J L Hudson!

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that's a great sentiment but don't worry! Things have been going really well, especially for a "soft" opening.

Royce, the signs are not up yet, but are supposed to be up this afternoon. You enter at the building entrance, 206 E. Grand River and take the elevator to the second floor.

Thanks for thinking of Mezzanine though! I'm still working on getting the word out, so bring your friends by!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.