Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » American Blower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Readville
Username: Readville

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for more information (pictures, maps, etc..) on the ABC plants in Detroit and Dearborn to add to my company website:

http://www.sturtevantfan.com/A mericanBlower.html

Is the Russell St. plant all original ABC or has it been modified in the 6 decades since they left? Thanks.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Readville. I think you have come to the right spot, as the depth of knowledge here seems bottomless at times. Good luck with this, and thanks for the informative linkage.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the link from Readvilles' site regarding Detroits' old Air raid Sirens: http://www.victorysiren.com/x/ index.htm

(Message edited by jeffrey thomas on May 06, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are referring to the building at 6060 Rivard (@Piquette between Russel and Rivard) that was American blower, then Square D electric, then Volunteers of America. My friend is part owner now, they operate a storage business there.

Readville

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman

My question is how much of that complex is the original ABC of 60 years ago? It seems too "vertical" for a fan manufacturer. I have old photos showing a long, maybe 3 story manufacturing plant with a central craneway.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6259
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the link above:
quote:

Industrial growth in Canada developed a market for American Blower products and in 1912 the subsidiary Canadian Sirocco Company, Limited was established in Windsor, Ontario. The plant expanded over time to 80k sq.ft., eventually closing in the 1990s . In 1913, they purchased the air washer interests, including the patent rights, of McCreery Engineering Co. of Detroit.

The Windsor plant is still standing, I also have picture of it from 1913 if you're interested.

Readville

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm interested. Thanks.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3300
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Blower had buildings on both sides of Russel, north of Harper. Here are two views from 1949, one looking north, one facing east:

1949 north

1949 east

I tried to find aerial photos in which the plant was located near the edge of the photo, to help show the vertical dimension of the buildings.

This one from 1956 shows a bridge over Russell, near the north end of the complex. The old photo on your website seems to be taken from Russell, looking northeast, and if so, then the bridge must have been relocated (moved farther north) later. Also visible is the clearing and foundations for the Ford Expressway bridge over the rail yard.

American Blower 1956

These maps from 1921 show the layout of the plant, but to fit them on this site, they have to be reduced to such an extent that all detail is lost.

Northeast of Russell/Harper:

American Blower 1921 northeast

Northwest of Russell/Harper, the portion still standing:

American Blower 1921 northwest

The present day photo of the Tireman plant you had on your site previously was mine. I can send you a full size copy if you still want it.

Readville

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem,

I thought that photo belonged to somebody so I replaced it with an ABC owned image.

I'd like to see a large modern view of the Dearborn plant without having to drive from Boston :-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a nice view using this software: http://atlas.freshlogicstudios .com/

I have a few other pictures I'll dig for.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.