Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Classic Traffic Signal of the Week (5-7-07) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took this picture at Bagley and First about 2 months ago. The signal featured here was manufactured by Crouse-Hinds of New York sometime in the late 50s to early 60s. It has a cutaway visor on the bottom section which is rare for anything later than the 1940s in Detroit. The original visor was probably replaced after it was hit at one point. This signal has been retrofitted with LED modules to replace the original light bulbs inside. If you didn't notice already it also has a post mount for the old style street signs that were mounted on top of the traffic signals.

bagley-first

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there were modern boom signal installations all over this city than strung over head. that is all i gotta say because it shows the city uniformity

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a signal like the one above on 8 Mile at Mound. I'll try to grab a picture of it if you havn't already.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bullet. Always enjoy your pic threads!

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, Joe,

There are a handful of those same signals (Crouse Hinds Type-M's) scattered around downtown Birmingham still. (In case you're trying to complete the collection.)

Ryan K

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a side note - new signals are strung over the intersection of Tireman-Littlefield-Esper as of Sunday May 6. They are not functioning yet and the old signals continue to work, including the post mounted green ones, but it seems their days are now numbered.

Excellent photo by the way. I greatly enjoy these traffic light photos and threads :-)

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am HEARTBROKEN to hear we are about to lose the Tireman-Littlefield-Esper intersection! This was my single most favorite classic intersection in Detroit. No other intersection seems to mix so many different elements of signal equipment. (Oh yeah, and it includes at least one CH Type-M head as seen in Joe's photo above,)

I am surprised that they would even put new signals there. I don't think that intersection has enough cross traffic to warrant it. Whenever I'm near there, I notice much of the cross-traffic circumvents the signal using the streets around the parameter of the "square".

Wow - it really looks like this summer might just be the end for old signals in Detroit. In the last 2 months, evidence of signal work has spread rapidly throughout what now looks like the entire city. We were already down to a fraction of the pre-12"-lensed signals we once had in the mid-90's. It looks like this Spring/Summer they are really going to make an effort to finish things off. It'll be interesting to see what is still remaining at the end of the year.

Ryan K

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics?

Sad times indeed...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.