Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pollution Monitor To Be Added To Michigan Freeway Ramps (Particularly SE Mi. Freeways) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard this on the Weather Channel earlier this morning from their Traffic Woman. Is it true that The State of Michigan will be placing the monitors on our Freeways next? She just said Detroit, but it will likely involve ALL of SE Michigan IF NOT the whole state. It is just something for every driver to know how much polluted their car really produces (since were one of the most polluted regions in the country). Also, will this involve any ticketing from the Officers?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely recall hearing of this. I believe it was to be initially just informative. No ticket.

Personally, I'd appreciate knowing in advance if I had an emissions problem.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might just be more hearsay, but it's what I've got.

After the Supreme Ct. decided in Mass v. EPA that greenhouse gases had to be regulated by the EPA under the Clean Air Act upon a finding they presented a threat to the public health and welfare (i.e. climate), some states and municipalities began to experiment as to whether voluntary reductions in emissions were viable options. SEMCOG funded these carbon dioxide emissions meters wich use something like a mass spectrometer ray to determine the amount of CO2 coming out of your tailpipe. They also photograph your license plate, and a couplefew weeks later you receive a letter in the mail stating your emissions level, stating how it reduces milage, and providing ways to reduce emissions, no sticks (tickets)yet.

-spiff

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 989
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it a better solution than a once a year inspection for your vehicle at the local auto place or something like that?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From http://www.freep.com:Will voluntary emissions testing work?
quote:

Through May 12 or so, SEMCOG will be setting up sensors that read emissions levels as vehicles drive by freeway entrance ramps all over town, changing locations regularly. The sensors will have signs that immediately tell drivers whether their vehicle’s emissions are good, fair or poor.

The sensors will take pictures of the license plates of vehicles with poor emissions. Using plate info, SEMCOG will get the vehicle owner’s name and address from the Secretary of State, and then SEMCOG will send a letter asking the owner to fix the car.

Compliance is voluntary. SEMCOG says no one will be forced to go to the mechanic.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've driven by it twice now. Both times on the I94/I275 Interchange in different directions. It has a three color display of "Good/Fair/Poor". It's a pretty extensive setup with an RV and sensors on both sides of the road. It sure did slow traffic down.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this will not go statewide. The SEMCOG region was out of compliance for certain pollutants for national air quality standards.

One remedy suggested by the feds was to reinstitute emissions testing, like in the '90s. SEMCOG, among others fought to allow a reformulation of summer gasoline, as well as spot testing of cars.

Since the introduction of more stringent pollution controls in cars in the mid-90s (catalytic converters, pressurized fuel systems, OBD-II, etc.) they are a lot cleaner.

Now, it is estimated that ~10% of the car fleet produces ~40% of airborn pollution of passenger cars. So it makes sense to do spot checking, rather than make everyone have their cars checked annually.

Denver has a permanent exhaust sensor using the same system:
http://www.sign.du.edu/index.h tml

(Message edited by Ro_resident on May 09, 2007)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... whatever.. spend that money on a mass transit system that actually works... and then I wont need my car in the first place.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole AET thing was a farce in the 80's and 90's. The law was written such that if your car did not pass the test, and if the repair was more than $64 you were exempt. Back then $64 would pay for a set of plugs installed and not much else, so the whole program was a dog and pony show that produced no results.
Every so often the politicians (starting out west, where all environmental legislation begins) start a "let's rid the roads of all the old cars", under the mistaken impression that a poor working stiff with a beater '89 Cutlass Cierra is going to go out and buy a new car. If they are going to test, do they expect results?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Semcog wants to institute reformulation of gasoline?

It figures. The cost of gas will go up at least .20+ cents a gallon a la Chicago.

Everyone will pay the higher cost, even those with new vehicles, which don't pollute.

Typical beurocratic approach to a problem, w/o regard to any kind of risk-reward analysis.

And, the refiners will just get richer. They're probably subsidizing Semgog.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shitclog can take their bullshit elsewhere.. Havent they figured out yet that if this current economy keeps up for another year or 2 there wont be an economy left to build back up?

Its like russia... ya their economy is growing 8% year over year... but whats 8% of nothing?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Summer blends' of gasoline have been instituted since the mid '90s in most urban areas across the US due to the Clean Air Act. http://www.slate.com/id/209867 2/

If you are unhappy with having to purchase a summer blend of gasoline, I suggest you contact your senator or rep in Washington:
quote:

SUMMARY: EPA is approving a State Implementation Plan (SIP) revision submitted by the State of Michigan on May 26, 2006, and July 14, 2006, establishing a lower Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) fuel requirement for gasoline distributed in the Southeast Michigan area which includes Lenawee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw, and Wayne Counties. Michigan has developed these fuel requirements to reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC) in accordance with the requirements of the Clean Air Act (CAA). EPA is approving Michigan's fuel requirements into the Michigan SIP because EPA has found that the requirements are necessary for Southeast Michigan to achieve the 8-hour ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS).

From here: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EP A-AIR/2007/January/Day-31/a142 1.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.