Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Latest Sperling's rankings of USA cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

latest rankings list:
http://www.bestplaces.net/docs /studies/crar_list.aspx

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They combine Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI together and they only rank 344?

Must be all those Livonia Nazi's that drove the ranking down!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's how the Michigan cities/areas fared...it's cool to see a Michigan city at #5 : )

5 Ann Arbor, MI
140 Holland-Grand Haven, MI
146Muskegon-Norton Shores, MI
147Niles-Benton Harbor, MI
190Warren-Troy-Farmington Hills, MI
213Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI
234Kalamazoo-Portage, MI
237Lansing-East Lansing, MI
239Battle Creek, MI
242Jackson, MI
270Monroe, MI
304Saginaw-Saginaw Township North, MI
330Bay City, MI
335Flint, MI
344Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI

(Message edited by thejesus on May 09, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Must be all those Livonia Nazi's that drove the ranking down!"

sieg heil!!!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah Karl, front and center please! You have some 'splaining to do...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9093
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So in summary, beyond AA this state sucks. Can't really disagree.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious groupings. Warren-Troy-Farmington Hills?

Jt1

Post Number: 9095
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that too and wondered about it.

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather wait tables in Petoskey than be the mayor of most of the places in the top 100

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This strikes me as just another BS list that serves no purpose other than to find its way to afternoon talk radio. I love Metro Detroit and make it perfectly clear to everyone I know. I'd like to know how you can reduce an entire community into a number rank.

"So in summary, beyond AA this state sucks. Can't really disagree."

Then get the hell out. A lot of what's wrong with this state/region is people like you who have a negative attitude about everything.

Also, I'd really like to know how Muskegon is above most of Metro Detroit. My SO's family is from there, and I visit all the time. Besides a pretty decent beach, there is very little desireable about the area...it's all semi-rural housing and an absolutely dead downtown.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then get the hell out. A lot of what's wrong with this state/region is people like you who have a negative attitude about everything.

I've been thinking positively all day, and I'm just sure that Ford will add at least two new jobs because of it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even Flint ranked above Detroit! Not the news that you want to hear, LOL.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its odd that Saginaw and Bay City are different cities. Normally on lists like this its the Saginaw-Bay City-Midland metro area. The groupings are really strange. I consider that most would group Farmington Hills with Detroit and it wouldn't be in its own group. The whole thing is kinda strange, but whatever.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor has quality of life, no doubt. Good city services. Safety. A decent amount of urban fabric (i.e. Main Street + dozens of walkable and beautiful city blocks). Tons of parks creating a nice mix of city and nature. A good mix of housing stock and prices/options. TRANSIT. JOBS. One of the world's best universities.

Top 5 might be a bit generous (I'd have to think there are 10-20 places that are better to live in), but it is the only truly functional CITY in Michigan. Sure Farmington and Troy are pretty functional, but they ain't cities...and to someone who wants to live in an actual city, they are downright inhospitable.

Ann Arbor, though, is still too small to be considered truly great, and it is too reliant on students, especially seasonal out of state students. Ann Arbor really, really needs to grow its center city population (meaning more year-round residents who have already graduated). Obviously most of the central neighborhoods are locked up as rental districts for students. That's fine. What I'm getting at is that the space between State St. and Main St. needs more residential high-rises and more mixed-use buildings. The new residential development just west of Main on Huron (11 stories I think) is a step in the right direction. A2 is as close as Michigan gets to a 24-hour city, but it is still obnoxiously dead late at night (except for outside of Rick's with all my fellow students). Ann Arbor's population is growing. But tons of the development is outward and low-density, and this needs to stop. The city would be truly great if downtown development were prioritized.

----

Detroit will one day rise on that list. More neighborhood development, better schools, and getting Livonia out of that grouping will do it.

---
The collectivity of the Grosse Pointes should have been on that list. They would have easily been top 50.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Holland-Grand Haven & Niles-Benton Harbor pairings are strange too. Midland isn't even on the list. So apparently Detroit is better than Midland at least! :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about Ann Arbor is that it's exactly what the people who live there want it to be. I prefer larger cities (or at least being closer to a larger city), but I also like Ann Arbor for what it is.

"But tons of the development is outward and low-density, and this needs to stop."

Didn't they implement a greenspace around the city and township?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said.

Regarding the greenbelt...it can only do so much. It creates a nice buffer on the east, and the Huron River is a nice buffer on the north, but development still skips right over this, and beyond the city limits, into the various townships out by US23 or down toward Saline. Same with west of A2 way out on Jackson Rd.

Somebody needs to make a move and build something sweet in downtown A2, great enough to get graduates to want to stay and live in A2. This will create momentum, and hopefully others to follow.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/quote{Even Flint ranked above Detroit! Not the news that you want to hear, LOL.}

There is no reason to take pot shots at us up here. We are all in the same boat.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Even Flint ranked above Detroit! Not the news that you want to hear, LOL.

There is no reason to take pot shots at us up here. We are all in the same boat.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the people who create these lists need to get a life. No place is perfect for everyone, and every place has something going for it. I see I'm living in #154. Tough stuff, I love it. But I love Detroit, too, AND Ann Arbor, AND Bellingham, WA, AND...........etc.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I wouldnt put too much credence in this...between the pairings and then the formula....

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the people behind this are U of M grads. AA has always been 5 or 6 as long as I've seen this report. All the others drift in and out of the top twenty. Has anyone here ever heard of Columbus INDIANA???????

Jt1

Post Number: 9101
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if the people behind this are U of M grads. AA has always been 5 or 6 as long as I've seen this report. All the others drift in and out of the top twenty. Has anyone here ever heard of Columbus INDIANA???????

I am guessing that AA fits well in many primary categories such as education, crime, unemployment, income, etc.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 622
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus Indiana is actually a very artsy place NE of Bloomington IN which is also a very nice place to live - honest.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago-joliet plunged around 100 or so places. I trust nothing like this unless the criteria and weighting are thoroughly spelled out

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Richmond, Virginia at #30? I mean, it's not a bad place, but #30???

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city I live in is in top 25 and I would trade it ANYDAY and move back to Wayne County in a heartbeat. Enough said!

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Ann Arbor for 21 years.

Other than the parking issue, nothing negative comes to mind.

The students (and their parents) support the merchants in Ann Arbor, first class - no less; without them (or the university) Ann Arbor would be a dramatically different city.

I had a business on Main Street (and William) and if the students were out on spring break, or whatever break, (seemed like one break after another) business suffered terribly, we would miss them.

City parking is pathetic and has been for years.

Housing is a tad pricy.

Nights can be quiet on Main Street, students or not. The fall and winter are the best times to clean up; I mean business can very good in these seasons.

I agree with most of what Mackinaw stated.

Still, I cannot believe Ann Arbor is one of the top 5 cities in America.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The criteria change every year, and therefore so do the rankings.

For instance, this years's number 18, Flagstaff, Arizona, was number 244 in 2004. The city obviously didn't change that much in three years, so it's got to be changes in the measuring stick.

And--Gainesville Florida, home of the University of Florida, is this year's number one. It was number 56 in 2004, but was also ranked number one in 1996--coincidentally the last time before this year that the Florida Gators won the national title in College football.

Maybe that is part of the criteria every ten years?

(Message edited by rampartstreetnorth on May 09, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4282
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love lists.... they're so meaningful...

My favorite is still the list of the 6 largest Cathedrals in the world... there's 20 on that list! :-)

And as a kid, I remember going to visit Higgins Lake up in Roscommon County. There were signs around the lake touting it as the "6th most beautiful lake in the world". Somebody had to have come up with that list, or they wouldn't have printed up all those signs! :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a car so I wouldn't know, but it appears to me that A2 has enough parking garages.

If downtown A2 grows like I want it to, though, it will need to investigate the use of underground parking.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus Indiana has been known for its corporate paternalism where the owners of the large corporations in town created a fund where anyone building new construction (such as the church, mall, or newspaper plant) could apply to get extra funds for the cost of making it architecturally significant. Thus, Columbus has a beautiful downtown mall (like Portland), a Newspaper Plant that has lots of windows to the outside world where you can see the paper being printed (so did the family that owns the Dayton Daily News), and a whole bunch of striking and beautifully laid out stuff......It is quite different than most anything else.....

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The data is obviously derived from simple number crunching. The areas noted are Metropolitan Statistical Areas, as determined by the Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/populati on/estimates/metro_general/Lis t4.txt).

Sperling's lists their data sources at http://www.bestplaces.net/docs /DataSource.aspx

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A2 is typical of all small college towns. Ultra-clean, very stable economy due to the college and the revenue it produces. Yuppyish trendy little shops in the absence of the college wouldn't last a month. Some of these towns are almost not even towns at all, they are campuses with a town. Comparing them to other small cities with revolving door manufacturing is hardly valid. I also wonder if this list was produced before Phizer bailed out.

The list creators claimed to have used "dozens" of variables. I wonder what they were. Obviously weather and proximity to high crime areas were not considered.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too suspect that Ann Arbor makes the top 5 by process of elimination. It probably ranks very well in all the "good" categories, and isn't big enough to have a crime problem, etc. It's still a great place to live, however, and I like living there. I have a hard time believing Benton Harbor is "better" than Detroit by so many spots.

This is why these lists mean almost nothing.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was rated in the 50s (I think 57) about ten years ago. They've sliced and diced the region up in a way that seesm to potentially depresse the scores.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.