Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone been to McNarney's Public House yet? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish pub located right next door to the RenCen (old River Rock location).

Web site has just been spruced up. They have a lot of plans for the summer (including a huge Fire Works party), so drop on by.

http://www.mcnarneysdetroit.co m

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9156
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stopped in there for an FSC, met the fabulous owner/manager and her sparkling partner who runs the entertainment.

I want to make this a regular spot, but will not go upstairs for entertainment until I get my new earplugs...I've heard from too many that the noise level is ear-killing, and I cannot afford that. Need those ears for my work.

(same applies to the Buzz, btw, when their djs are pumping up the volume downstairs I take my pizza to go, and will never pay a cover for upstairs until they let me sample the goods)

The damned GM type-As get WAY too loud downstairs during happy hour as well...while I love to occasionally witness them talk over each other while NOT listening to anything all the way through, it is NOT something I will pursue often. Not exactly MY idea of a relaxingly good time!

Now, if they could get some serious decorative echo control on the walls and ceiling, and get the bands to play at a reasonable level (at least for their first few sets), then I can consider becoming a regular.

Even IF they hit me for an extra dollar on my Guinness pints after the specials end...the atmosphere devoid of type-As (after happy hour ends they run for the door) is more than appealing, it is wonderfully comfortable. Food is fantastic.

The people who work there are outstanding...this place really could be a hit, I hope my criticisms voiced here get to the right people. I did say them when I was there, but often verbal complaints don't land correctly.

Too many distractions for a new owner...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice writeup in today's Freep weekend section...At McNarney's Public House, everybody knows your name (sort of):http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705100303

We did have our weekly FSC there a few weeks back. And I've been there a half dozen times besides, introducing friends to this fine new establishment. The food is terrific, and the entertainment first rate (Thornetta Davis, Lady Sunshine and The X Band, and Bruno's Boys, among others).

(Message edited by Kathleen on May 10, 2007)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gannon!!! FYI, I have not been blown out by too loud music in any of the times I've been there. The noise level has been very comfortable, but maybe my ears are too accustomed to loud music.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9157
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

For EVERYONE'S information...thanks for the correction. I'm sure Shannan and especially Lisa are happy you spoke up to counter my second-hand reporting. Perhaps you're used to the volume levels common today, many people seem to be...while I notice those who are uncomfortable before they run to the door early. I sense other's discomfort, and that usually adds to mine...cannot explain it.

Now I'm scrambling to remember those who had reported otherwise, Kathleen. Funny, I had YOU as one who told me they were loud...but it could've been Dave.

I know I'm over-sensitive to this, as I am with all live shows and movie soundtrack playback. (Some system equalization, or lack thereof, sounds like they are trying to weaponize the music!)

I'm only going by second-hand knowledge...coupled to that first visit with the unbelievably loud RenCen folks yelling at each other downstairs! That discomfort was more than I could bear, Jams and Shannan's mother can attest to my anxiety peak!

I am probably quite wrong to make such a huge deal out of this. I would be happy to eat my words publicly...and will do so if additional direct experience proves otherwise.

I am a supporter of them either way.

Cheers!

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just there last night. The chowder is awesome! And Pat is a great bartender who has a lot of history working in the D.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need to go there, heard lots of good stuff

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there on St. Patty's Day but haven't made it back yet.

But now that this thread brought it up, I will have to make sure I go back!

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable Chicken Wings! Only made it for an early evening pint but would go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't 6000 miles away. Pat the bartender was very personable and knew his stuff.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how about those Fried Dill Pickles!!!! Every meal I've had there was delicious!!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of us who use public transit despite the inadequacy of it - I should get off the East Jeff bus where?

Rivertown has no public transit at all south of Jefferson, does it? Hmm... gotta do something 'bout that.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In front of the Renaissance Center. Then head east to St. Antoine, the south to Franklin, turn left 1/2 block.

This map on the McNarney's website should give you a good idea of the route: http://www.mcnarneysdetroit.co m/dp.php

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4972
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get off the Jefferson bus in front of Nathan's Deli, across the street from Sts. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church and cross Jefferson, the exit ramp, the boulevard, the entrance ramp and Jefferson again, across the surface lot to their door.

Very much becoming my new favourite place, the Reubens, both turkey and traditional corned beef are scrumptious, although the fish and chips rank high in my regard as the most authentic in Downtown Detroit.

For those of you that don't bother with the vagaries of Mass Transit in Detroit, please be aware that most nights, I'm guessing not weekends, you can park across the street, sit at the bar and watch your car.

BTW Drankin21, I shared this with Pat (my neighbor)
quote:

Pat the bartender was very personable and knew his stuff

She assured me she was still female, possibly you met Paul, the guy with the Scot's accent.

No matter what, she and I found it very funny.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or Drankin21 was just blotto enough not to know the difference.

Thanks Jams, you obviously ride the bus whereas Kathleen, who was trying to be helpful but would send me on a 3/4 mile walk, probably does not.

Those of you opening businesses in the CBD, help us out: can you please include such info on your web sites? For instance: from the PeopleMover, get off at the Bricktown station and blah blah blah. Or: Take the DDOT Jefferson bus, exit at Riopelle and walk blah blah blah.

The folks at TRU will help you with such directions if you don't know it yourself; check out www.detroittransit.org and that will tell you how to get a hold of them. There are some of us intrepid folks who pays our money and takes our chances on the DDOT and the SMART. That way, to paraphrase Jams, I don't have to watch my car while sittin' at the bar. (Though frankly driving a stick-shift with 300,000 miles on it is about the best security system ever devised, IMVHO. We profs don't all get the big vig you think we get.)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Professor...You're right, I don't take the bus anywhere these days. But I do walk around downtown, and I'd still walk to the light at St. Antoine to cross E. Jefferson rather than cut across E. Jeff and the medians and the I-375 exit and entrance ramps!!! The difference between my way and Jams' way is maybe a block, block and a half, but in my opinion, much less dangerous in terms of traffic and steadier in terms of the ground I'm walking on!!! Of course, there are times of day when there is less traffic, but why take chances? Besides...the walk'll do anyone some good!!!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all!
Just went tonight for the first time. Good food, good service. Will be going back for sure.
Anybody know if there is outside seating for dinner upstairs on the deck portion or is that strictly a bar ?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.