Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Irving theatre fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw channel 4's coverage, the storefronts looked pretty cooked, the theatre can't be in god shape as a result. Another one gone.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third Alarm with building
collapse.14 hours service time.
Earned there pay on this one.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out of town for this weekend, so this is news to me. The last time I drove by the Irving was maybe a week ago, and I noticed the entrance was "open to trespass."

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, wonder how the Asbestos stage curtain held up...
It was a charming old theater, but no way was anyone going to do anything with a moviehouse in Brightmooor...

It's been open to tresspass for over a year.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another sad chapter in the long long story of Detroit's demise. Went there a lot as kid when I lived on Burt Rd. Brightmoor used to be good place to live but wasn't most of Detroit until the early 1970's?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove past the ruins yesterday-all thats left is a pile of bricks which was getting hauled away.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5869
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good bye Irving theatre. Po'folks burned to the ground like they don't give a S&^%! about Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would "po folks" burn it down?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5871
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Becuase they don't give a S&^%! about Brightmoor or those hillbilly woodframe ranches anymore. They burn it down, wait for development company to come in, build some houses and bring the middle income family.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chances are the development companies would be much less likely to develop in an area with burned out structures. Seems to me I am or your argument is missing something.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny says some stupid things sometimes.lol

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he said anything stupid , they're building new houses all through brightmore . Some of them are right next to burned out shacks , but , they're new houses none the less .

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that means "PoFolks" are burning the shacks down?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood theatre buildings are left that are vacant? I know of the Civic and the Eastown Theatres. Are there any more????? ( I am also going to ask this question in the "Neighborhood Theatres" thread)

The reason why I am asking this is because if these buildings are not secure and are open like the Irving Theatre was, THEN WOULD ANYBODY BE WILLING TO HELP ME BOARD UP THE ENTRANCES OF THESE BUILDINGS. I AM FOR REAL!!!

I believe that the (few remaining) neighborhood theatres could be used as catalysts for neighborhood revitalization. The few remaining should be preserved.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.