Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The future of the US Hockey Hall of Fame « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With ongoing trouble at the US Hockey Hall of Fame in upstate Minnesota, there has been rumblings that it may move and even with the latest news that it will reopen this may with new management, its future is still uncertain. With this being said, there has been talks of moving it to the Twin Cities to the Excel Center or Mall of America. However, I think Detroit and/or Illich should look into enticing the HOF to move to Hockeytown USA. Yes, I understand the tradition of Hockey in the Iron county of Minnesota, but this HOF may thrive in a big city and what better place than the US city where people already associate hockey...., Any suggestions for a location? I suggest, if Illich does build behind Fox, that strip of land along Columbia Ave. that he at one time proposed to redevelop (between the Fox and State.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 592
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect to hockey in Detroit and the State of Michigan (i've been a card carrying member of USA hockey since I was 3)...our amateur hockey pales in comparison to that of Minnesota.

If such a hall of fame is to exist, it should be there. I visited the USHHOF in Eveleth, MN on a few occasions. It was absolutely spectacular--giant hockey stick and all. The problem was location. If given a proper home downstate (NOT Mall of America) then it should succeed just fine. The USHHOF is a celebration of American hockey, which is 80% amateur. I would hate to see it turned into a commercialized shopping mall attraction.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on May 12, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they ever would do it here, I vote for where the Ford Aud is.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread way back when on this.

I tend to see Minnesota as the natural home. But doesn't mean we shouldn't try to steal it :-) Cleveland has the Rock N Roll hall of fame..... WHY?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NHL Hall Of Fame in Toronto is located inside an old old(haunted?) bank built into a mall(I wish they displayed more of what they had)-I fail to see why that won't work with the Mall of America

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because, as far as I know, the mall of America isn't haunted

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"With ongoing trouble at the US Hockey Hall of Fame in upstate Minnesota"

what kind of trouble?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cleveland has the Rock N Roll hall of fame..... WHY?

Because legend (mistakenly) has it that Alan Freed, a Cleveland DJ coined the term "Rock and Roll".

Alan Freed

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.