Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Spanish courses in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a few words haveing lived most of my young adult life in Imlay City which has historically had a large population of migrant workers from Mexico as well as second and third generation Mexican and Puerto Rican Americans. Apparently there has been a proliferation of "illegals" how they know who is legal or not I don't know, but there are more bodegas in the downtown district. I have always appreciated the flavor of diversity the Spanish people have given my little but growing town. I have over the years seen migrants spending money in the movie stores, supermarket; laundromat etc. They purchase cars and gas. I was disapointed to hear resentment of the increased presence of Mexicans. I argued, debated and discussed immigration of migrants with family and friends who are not intolerant extremists but have misguided hostilities and cultural misunderstandings toward the migrant workers.
As far as I am concerned they deserve a welcoming center.
There are many millions Spanish speaking people south of our border. We now have free trade. Por Que not amigo's shouldn't we have bilingual requirements for our students? I want to learn spanish myself. Know the usual phrases(and some) bad words etc. Can anyone reccomend a good school for Spanish?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

community college is usually a good way to learn the basics, and the cost is usually pretty good. depending on where you are, i know OCC is all right but i don't know much about Wayne CCC.

if you can float the expense and time, Wayne State would probably be a better option than community college.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took 3 courses at Macomb college in Espanol and 1 course at Wayne State. Macomb was just a good as Waynes class. The price makes it worth it at the community college.

Terryh

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much jtw. I think at this writing the Royal Oak campus of OCC no longer has a spanish class. Wayne State probably would be a better place. Thanks for the advice.

Terryh

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will look into the Macomb courses if it is cheaper and just as good as Wayne State though I will have to pay a little more as a non-resident of Macomb. Thanks fareastsider.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, this is your best bet:

http://www.rosettastone.com/en /individuals/languages/spanish -latin-america

You will learn faster and more essential elements of the language (for your purposes) than through traditional instructor-led language schools.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hunch is he's just looking for a spanish school to cruise for T&A...

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then I recommend going to Latin America or Spain to take courses.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community college classes would be time consuming, (but there would be lots of twenty year old girls there!)
...Courses abroad are great (But Spain is not a bargain right now what with our dollar being so low).
I'd start with Rosetta Stone, then go abroad and look for Rosetta Hernandez...

CEPE has great courses for foreigners at the UNAM in Mexico City.

http://www.losangeles.unam.mx/ cepeing.html

There are language schools aplenty all over Mexico and Guatemala, but some of them are in places filled with gabachos (i.e. Cuernavaca).

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh,

Pienso que los comentarios son muy buenos. Ahora, tengo un año en Monterrey, Nuevo León, México. Aunque estudiaba la gramátca del español en la preparatoria, cuando llegué a México, hablaba niguna palabra. Todavía no hablo como un hispanohablante, pero puedo expresar bien cualquier cosa.

[I think that the above posts are good. I now have been in Monterrey, Mexico for a year. Although I studied parts of speech and the grammar in high school, when I arrived to Mexico I could barely say a word. In spite of not speaking like a native speaker, I can already express just about anything.]

DO:
Find interactive Spanish CD-ROMS
Converse with native Spanish speakers
Learn about the multiple cultures of latinos
Discover your personal methods for learning

DO NOT:
Buy CD's or the tons of "promising" books on the shelves
Assume that knowing the "language" allows you to effectively communicate... one must know about the people and how they think

In-classroom teaching is not for everyone, and neither is immersion. However, I believe being dropped into the environment has been the best option for me. I will not only be returning to Detroit nearly fluent, but I have gained much more. I gained a ton from living continuously with Mexicans, such as new customs and values.

The experience has been priceless. And shockingly, Monterrey, the richest city of Latin America, is a lot safer and wealthier than Detroit. I love Detroit, but the wealth of this city was actually intimidating when I got here...and still is. The American stereotypes were so far from the truth.

You'll learn the grammar in the classroom, and you'll learn how to have flowing conversations outside of the classroom.

Moreover, you'll add about 300 million more people to your potential international social network.

(Message edited by Young_Detroiter on May 15, 2007)

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

orale, YD, asi que eres un Norteno en el norte... que lo pases bien alla' y y si te da tiempo, te recomiendo un viajecito a la Barranca del Cobre, y un pueblo que se llama Batopilas....

Young_detroiter

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto,

Está todo bien por acá. Pues sí, soy un norteño y regiomontano adoptado...jaja. Me encanta esta ciudad. He viajado por todos partes de México, pero todavía no conozco los lugares que me mencionaste. Ya me falta tiempo, pero deseo conocer más antes de que regrese por el fin de verano. ¿Cómo conoces tan bien esta tierra? ¿Eres de aquí? La preocupación mía más grande es que no tendría muchas oportunidades de hablar español allá en Detroit.

- Jovencito de Detroit (Young Detroiter)

Young_detroiter

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRANSLATION

Barnesfoto,

All is well here. It's true that I am a northerner and an adopted "Regio"...haha. I love this city. I have traveled everywhere in Mexico, but I missed the locations that you mentioned. I do not have a lot of time, but I desire to see more before I return to Detroit in the end of the summer. How do you know this country so well? Are you from here? My greatest concern is that I will lack opportunities to speak Spanish in Detroit.

- Young Detroiter

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Que?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the International Institute on Kirby had good classes

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD,
Soy nativo de Detroit, nada mas que tuve la buena fortuna de estudiar fuera del pais, igual que tu.
Luego, hace 10 anyos, me fui a vivir a la Ciudad de Mexico por unos 18 meses. He viajado mucho por la republica, pero jamas a Monterrey.
Conocozo mas el centro y el sur del pais.
Aunque pronto te vas, la Barranca del Cobre no te queda lejos...En tren puedes ir, y es un viaje realmente chingon. Si te da tiempo, vale la pena.
En el fondo de la Barranca, esta el pueblo medio abandonado de Batopilas. Era un pueblo muy rico y muy importante por las minas de plata que habian...Hasta los dias de la Revolucion Mexicana, cuando la mayoria de la gente se fue.
Desde Creel, te puedes ir en camion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.