Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why should this guy get a free pass? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200705 15/METRO/705150411

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the article - he didn't get a "Free Pass", he received and served a one-year sentence in jail and five years probation.

If your argument is that he perhaps received too lenient of a punishment, then I would agree with you.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9162
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was sentenced to one year and released on time served which would be about 10 months based upon the July 13th date of the offense.

The other 2 months may have been credited for behavior or something else.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow way to beat two federal cases...

If only people from this side of 8 mile in similar situations get that same break...

Jt1

Post Number: 9164
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I would be curious to see the average sentence of a first time bank robber with no previous crimes. I suspect that it would be much, much higher.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 a first time bank robber is doing all ten....there is seldom early parole on federal cases...

Now grand larceny combined with use of a firearms in commission on a felony? Come on now...

The man has basically committed at least three different Federal felonies in this ONE crime...

Yeah...I agree he got a free pass...

Jt1

Post Number: 9165
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 97 the average sentence for a bank robber was 83 months. That is probably skewed higher due to the number of bank robbers with previous histories but certainly higher than one year with 10 months served.

According to the study time served prior to first release was 55 to 60 months for bank robbery suspects. Again, that's all suspects which is probably not a majority of first time offenders.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/p ub/pdf/tspfo97.pdf

Jt1

Post Number: 9166
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin - I do not disagree that he got way too much leniency. I am just curious what is given to others in a similar circumstance.

I also agree that race/class had something to do with this. What annoys me is that he is being lauded as someone that learned his lesson not treated as a criminal. There are a lot of people in jails that are there due to crimes committed due to their circumstance. Why he gets singled out is beyond me.

Another appalling aspect of this article is

quote:

Gorcyca made a public plea for employment and housing for Lawson. Apparently it worked.

"We've had at least two good offers and one of them also involves housing," said Kaluzny. "Some people have criticized Gorcyca for his actions in this case but these people and others, aren't afraid to give him (Lawson) another chance."

There are a lot of people and families in this region that are struggling and have lost jobs. The difference is that they didn't resort to crime to deal with their circumstance. He robs a bank and now he is getting job offers?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But he still got off light regardless in light of all that he could have (should have) been charged with...

Myriads of people within the borders of the CoD have been slammed with lifetime sentences when they were in desperate situations, with next to nothing to fall back on (like a college degree) when they had to resort to some kind of extreme criminal acts...

And that's my beef...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We posted at the same time Jt...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also matters whether the crime was committed with melanin ...

Oops ... I mean malice.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol I am inclined to agree...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, this headline struck me as pretty hilarious...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/13321636/detail.html

quote:

Bank Robber Mulling Job Offers
POSTED: 9:28 am EDT May 15, 2007

TROY, Mich. -- A bank robber released from the Oakland County Jail is considering job offers, plus several free housing options as he gets back on his feet. ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.