Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DTE offering rewards for tips that lead to scrapper arrests « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEW S01/70515025

quote:

UPDATED AT 3:58 P.M. -- With copper theft on the rise nationally, DTE Engery officials today offered rewards for information leading to the arrests of people stealing or purchasing stolen copper.

DTE says as often as twice a day they are having power outages caused by thieves who climb utility poles to steal copper from live electrical lines.

“It’s not only a safety situation, but a service reliability issue as well,” said Scott Simon, DTE senior spokesman.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I have to say is it takes balls to steal live electrical lines.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9174
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they can prove that they were desperate enough they will get a lenient sentence and job offers upon release.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe enough of them will be electrocuted that this stupidity will stop.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These scrappers are relentless. A building under construction in the CBD just recently (last week) had a bunch of copper leads stolen right out of the new mechanical shafts. The purp's snuck in the building through a neighboring roof and cut holes in the mechanical shafts and meticulously cut and removed these thick 7/8" copper leads (expensive stuff) from the shafts. They even replaced the square holes in the shaft hoping that no one would notice and they could come back for the remaining 5 floors.

The amount of thought that went into the theft is discouraging if that dedication could just be directed to something positive and productive...
I know this is a topic discussed on here several times but I felt it necessary to tell that story. As an investor in the city and someone trying to help it's pretty discouraging to see these things happen.

I'm glad to see DTE trying to do something to help the situation.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would like to think that possible 'sentance' of a death penalty would be enough of a deterrent.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The amount of thought that went into the theft is discouraging if that dedication could just be directed to something positive and productive...

EXACTLY!

some (not all) of these scrap jobs require some pretty industrious people to em pull off

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If DTE started a campaign to take over the lighting system, city council and rabble rousers like Agnes Hitchcock would have a fit.

Where are these people when DTE begins a campaign to do what the police department is supposed to be doing? Isn't DTE undermining local rule and a public held treasure like DPD?

Jt1

Post Number: 9181
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where are these people when DTE begins a campaign to do what the police department is supposed to be doing? Isn't DTE undermining local rule and a public held treasure like DPD?

Where does DTE say this is a Detroit specific problem? Is the majority in the city? Probably but not all of it.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diesel,

What's a purp? If it's a hybrid of punk and perp, we are on the same page. :-)

Bumble

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, if DTE said started a campaign to take over the lighting in Midtown, city council and the rabble would have a fit.

DTE is proposing to take the place of effective policing in Detroit. (We all know the suburbs love to privatize.) Where's the outcry?

No outcry equals tacit admission of policing problem?

Jt1

Post Number: 9184
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if that is the case anymore. I think the city wanted to talk with DTE in recent history but the system is so far gone that DTE didn't want to touch it.

My understanding is that all new city lights are going on DTEs grid, not Detroit's grid. Can someone correct me if I am mistaken.

quote:

DTE is proposing to take the place of effective policing in Detroit. (We all know the suburbs love to privatize.) Where's the outcry?

No outcry equals tacit admission of policing problem?

Again, where is this only in the city? They are trying to protect their assets across Metro Detroit. Way to make something a city vs. suburb issue when it was never mentioned.

Your assumptions are a reach.

(Message edited by jt1 on May 16, 2007)

Bumble

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does not matter if the offer of a reward extends beyond the city's boundaries. It is offered in the city, no? If it is offered in the city, why isn't Queen Mother Watson calling this a racist ploy to undermine home rule?

I know it part of the collective psychosis around here to think that everything that happens in Detroit also happens in the suburbs, but copper theft in Detroit is a pretty big problem.

A city like Warren might be stretched thin, and might welcome DTE's involvement in its crime solving, but Detroit has 200 new officers on the street, so I don't see why we need the outside influence of a private corporation.

Jt1

Post Number: 9185
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE is looking out for their assets throughout Metro Detroit. Why is that not sinking in? Why are you trying to make this a race or city vs. suburb thing?

Are there security guards anywhere outside of Detroit? Why? People are protecting their property which is what DTE is trying to do throughout all of Metro Detroit.

So your argument is that something is wrong because the city isn't complaining about a private company protecting their own assets?

Your argument is extremely weak.

Bumble

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who oversees scrap yards?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think DTE should hire bounty hunters.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A city like Warren might be stretched thin, and might welcome DTE's involvement in its crime solving, but Detroit has 200 new officers on the street, so I don't see why we need the outside influence of a private corporation.

are those 200 officers assigned to the copper theft task force? (as if there was such a thing)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 16, 2007)

Bumble

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

are those 200 officers assigned to the copper theft task force? (as if there was such a thing)

How many would such a team need?

Since we have to start at "A," my previous question still stands: Who oversees scrap yards?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How many would such a team need?

i don't know, but obviously more than there are now

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 627
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 you are correct.. anyone trying to make this a racist issue is WAY OFF.. this a problem of folks stealing copper simple as that.. DTE has had the greatest threats to there assets in Detroit..

Yeah my dad used to work for Detroit Edison and the city did come to them to take over the system.. after all the BS.. DTE said NO thanks.. Why are you all afraid of making this system private? I don't see street lights in Warren or Troy.. or otherwise? please explain what your scare is?

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Warren we have our city code enforcers working on Sundays giving 25.00 tickets if you put your garbage to the curb 15 minutes before 6:00 pm. I put mine out at 5:45 on a Sunday and received one. We have our "Garbage Task Force" mobilized, I'm assuming a "Copper Theft Task Force" is convening at this hour.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the victimized property isn`t an abandoned site, who pays for the replacement? Do insurance companies cover such damages? If so, why don`t they pitch in for additional policing? It would be a sensible investment to protect themselves from heavy claims from victimized insurees (is that a word? Y`all know what I mean). Just a thought.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=3275776&version=1&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

Get them bastards!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Get them bastards!

damn straight!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Commander Autrey for his efforts in this crackdown! (He's the guy interviewed in the story.)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3195
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrap prices took a big dive today, according to my neighbor whose daughter runs the office at one metal scrapyard.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble -- Actually, JoAnn Watson was the councilmember who instituted additional rules for scrapyards to help fight copper theft. Of course, enforcement of said rules is usually the bigger problem, but I give her some credit on this issue. She's not as worthless as some of the other councilmembers.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But at the point I began to author these two ordinances, I had no idea the city was being looted."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070511/COL 10/705110335/1164

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.