Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mayor talks neighborhood rejuvenation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9171
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEW S01/70515053/1001/NEWS#article comments

Hopefully the details will be released soon.

If you are looking for a reason to laugh or cry (depending upon your POV) the comments in regards to this article should do it.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what happened to Boston Edison? I thought that was one of the "reinforce" neighborhood

midtown/woodbridge would be another good reinforce neighborhood...just dont want them to go the way of palmer park

Jt1

Post Number: 9173
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think BE was part of the plan but I could be mistaken. I would suspect that the plan is to improve/stabilize these communities then move on to others. BE would be a very logical candidate in my opinion.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BE was not part of the original plan.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not usually one to agree with (or even read) the freep reader comments, I have to say I like the simplicity of this one:

quote:

There is a common sense policy that the city is lacking- if you want city services, live in the city. Turn off the water, obligate people to move back and Detroit’s problems fix themselves.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this money is put to good use and not pittled away with cronies and relatives!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe how ambitious this is.

Sorry that was a little misleading; sarcasm was intended.

(Message edited by hans57 on May 15, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, this is only 30 years too late.
This is another bullshit plan that I won't believe until I see it in action. So much talk, so little action.

Jt1

Post Number: 9177
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gosh, this is only 30 years too late.
This is another bullshit plan that I won't believe until I see it in action. So much talk, so little action.

So what are your suggestions?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan is interesting, concentrating resources in neighborhoods in a fashion similar to downtown is something needed for along time. But as always the devil in is detail like who's going finance the bonds? The city is no condition to take on any more debt

Paulmcall

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My suggestion is to follow through on these and other plans. Unfortunately, what we too often get is another photo op and then a big nothing.
I'm afraid Detroit will just have a downtown that thrives and the neighborhoods will become ghost towns.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm afraid Detroit will just have a downtown that thrives and the neighborhoods will become ghost towns."

Is it not better to have one or two nice areas than ten mediocre areas? Detroit is still loosing population and will never be as dense as it was. Is/was it a bad idea to do the recent improvements to downtown? Why is a thriving downtown a bad thing?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great thing...figures people are yapping and bitching about it already.

I don't recall a specific neighborhood plan actually being launched and implemented in the city...EVER. Not when Coleman Young was in office, and NOT when Archer/Hendrix were in office.

If this thread were, "Kwame Kilpatrick secures QuickenLoans, Chrysler, Flagstar Bank, Toyota to build world headquarters in Detroit and has gotten promises from all 4 corporations to not only build their own skyscrapers, but to pitch in and restore ALL of the historic theatres and structures in the CBD, AND move all of their employees downtown," someone on this thread, well more than one, would ask:

"What has he done for the neighborhoods."

Geesh...you people drive me crazy.

Quinn

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really can't believe anyone is bitching about this:

DetroitNews article:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070516/METRO /705160410&theme=Metro-Detroit -mayor

Neighborhood fix-it plan: Mayor wants $225M to clean up six areas

Amy Lee and David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The city will spend $225 million, including $125 million of its own money, on six hand-picked neighborhoods in a bold experiment Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick hopes can halt decades of neglect and decay.

"We need some continuity to get out of this 40-year rut," Kilpatrick said Tuesday as he unveiled long-awaited details of his Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative.

The plan stresses community involvement, as well as the need for $100 million from foundations and other investors, to become a success. None of the outside money has been committed yet.

Kilpatrick is seeking six project managers who will be accountable for the success and failures in each neighborhood. Those managers, who should be hired in the next few months, will be expected to file quarterly reports, showing that customized goals set for each area are on track.

The mayor, who announced Tuesday he'll run for re-election in 2009 and see the five-year initiative through, said Detroit neighborhoods that aren't on the project list won't suffer or lose services.

The plan requires levels of involvement from the neighborhoods, businesses and city agencies such as police and code enforcement officers.

"This is really the first time everyone is coming in the room and talking together," said Linda Smith, executive director of U-SNAP-BAC, which will team with the city and others in East English Village to attract businesses and provide youth training. "It's making a difference."

The mayor and his staff will visit the neighborhoods today and tell residents what to expect from the plan he announced in general last December.

The six targeted neighborhoods -- the Northend, Brightmoor, Grand River-Greenfield, the Osborn community, Seven Mile-Livernois and East English Village -- cover about 13 square miles, roughly a tenth of Detroit's entire footprint.

Kilpatrick and Christine Beatty, his chief of staff, said the easiest parts of the ambitious makeover are things the city can control, such as demolishing buildings and cleaning up vacant lots. The hardest are improvements that hinge on others, such as convincing businesses to locate in the target communities.

"Some of these things just take time," Beatty said.

Each neighborhood, the mayor said, has a "bible" that lists, in some specifics, what the city hopes to achieve. Among the goals:

Public safety: Invariably, residents want illegal activity to stop. The mayor's staff has pledged to reduce prostitution and loitering up to 50 percent in some areas, work with Wayne County prosecutors to boost convictions 10 percent and fix traffic lights.

Children: Reduce truancy at select schools 15 percent, provide year-round youth-employment training and improve areas for children to play.

Quality of life: Remove 50 percent of abandoned vehicles within 10 days in some areas, demolish all dangerous buildings within one year in the Osborn community and establish community gardens in all neighborhoods.

Business: Acquire land for new stores, foster façade improvements and improve relationship with business groups.

A longtime homeowner in the Northend neighborhood, Thelma Grissom, 75, embraced the mayor's plan to target prostitution.

"We need the policing," said Grissom, who lives in a neighborhood where 20 percent of the 1,977 buildings are vacant, according to a Detroit News survey last winter. There are no grocery stores and 11 liquor stores. "But the police have to be good and do their jobs."

City money will be used in conjunction with cash from foundations, said Anika Goss-Foster, the city's director of philanthropic affairs.

She said there are no firm pledges of cash but foundations -- such as the Skillman Foundation -- are ready to step up.

The plan is ambitious. Kilpatrick and his predecessor, Dennis Archer, have had some success in reviving the Central Business District that roughly follows Woodward from the Detroit River north to Wayne State University.

But fixing the neighborhoods is a daunting task in a city that is losing population, where three of every four children live below the federal poverty level and 47 percent of adults are functionally illiterate.

His targeted neighborhoods contain 23,759 buildings of which about 15 percent -- 3,518 -- are vacant. There are five times as many party stores as grocery stores, about four of every 10 commercial buildings are vacant and there are more check-cashing shops (19) than banks (15).

Coney Island operator Antonio Harry welcomes the mayor's vision and hopes it will bring added prosperity to his restaurant on Livernois just south of Seven Mile.

"We need more retail that draws customers from all over the city. If any retail comes in, it will help us," said Harry, who thinks getting rid of vagrants and graffiti, as Kilpatrick has pledged, will be a good start.

"The dollar stores and places like us are fine, but if you can get some bigger places in here -- the Gap, maybe -- that would help."

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it not better to have one or two nice areas than ten mediocre areas?

The problem is, downtown has only a very small percentage of the city's residents. Unless, of course, the Disney fun-all-the-time tourist trap is your idea of a "city".

quote:

Detroit is still loosing population and will never be as dense as it was.

Sounds like you've given up already. Thanks for contributing.

quote:

Is/was it a bad idea to do the recent improvements to downtown?

Some of them? Yes. Empty lots are hardly improvements.

quote:

Why is a thriving downtown a bad thing?

Perhaps relative to Charlotte, downtown Detroit is thriving. I'm not convinced. You have 80,000 people who work in the greater downtown area Monday-Friday, 9-5. Other than that, activity downtown is highly dependent upon scheduled special events, most of which require paid admission. Not exactly the stuff of Jane Jacobs.

The mayor's plan isn't exactly bad. It's a bit vague, though. I'd like to see more details, especially as far as the "how" instead of the "what". I'm also concerned about the extremely large amount of bonds being requested. If bonds are going to be issued, this is perhaps a reason better than any. The City of Detroit doesn't exactly have the most stellar bond rating, though.

I'm also curious as to why the six chosen neighborhoods are scattered all over the map. Wouldn't it make more sense to form a contiguous area of redeveloped neighborhoods, and grow them outward? The mayor's approach seems to want to create islands.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find funny is that the city finance department is saying the city can't afford to do it. That's an oxy-moron if I ever heard one! What the hell is your purpose then if you can't afford to take care of your citizens?! Cook the books or whatever is necessary, but that's the one thing that shouldn't even be debated, come Hell or high water. If you can't afford that then you might as well just roll over and die...

Focusonthed

Post Number: 973
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I particularly liked this quote from today's Free Press. Sums up my feelings on a lot of things.

quote:

"People don't care like they used to," Davis said. "If they did, it wouldn't be no need for a plan by the mayor. People would just do what needed to be done."

Not that I don't think something has to be done, but for some reason, things are just different these days...it's sad.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an interesting question: is it better to pick six neighborhoods scattered about the city or would it have been better to pick a contiguous area? I suspect the Mayor is hopeful that improvements in the area will spread, then you will have seven "hubs" from which the revitalization of the City can emanate. (The seven are, of course, downtown plus the six mentioned in the articles.)

I think this is worth a shot and it seems like a decent stab at the issues. Better than trying to take care of the whole 139 square miles at once, or doing nothing.

I also found it interesting that the plan involves working with neighborhoods at three different starting points. That's clever; it never would have occurred to me to do it that way.

Let's see what happens. I think this is not a bad way to try to reverse things.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The freep writes:
quote:

The six neighborhoods were divided into three categories, two neighborhoods in each. They are: redevelop, which have poor housing stock, no retail and large strips of vacant land that need to be completely rebuilt; revitalize, neighborhoods with decent housing, a mix of homeowners and renters and need more retail stores, and reinforce, areas with stable housing stock that need improvements in quality of life issues, such as better city services and petty crime.

The editor must have fallen asleep near the end of that sentence, or else Kilpatrick really wants better petty crime.

Petty, as always, in Ottawa.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it not better to have one or two nice areas than ten mediocre areas? Detroit is still loosing population and will never be as dense as it was. Is/was it a bad idea to do the recent improvements to downtown? Why is a thriving downtown a bad thing?"

Again, "You Can't Have a Thriving City with a Lively Downtown Without Lively Neighborhoods".

Dabirch

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did everybody miss something here -- the mayor is talking about "floating a bond" to get the financing.

Detroit has junk bond status, meaning the expense will be a direct hit to the taxpayers. On a $125m float, that would be in the neighborhood of $12-$15 million in interest and amortized fees annually -- if it was a 10 year note.

Borrowing money that would ne used in a non-cash generating manner, or to pay down existing debt, for a city that has a budget deficit is just bad fiscal policy.

If dollars need to be borrowed -- and taxes need to be increased -- they should be devoted to existing needs that are not being met. I.e. pubic safety and education.

As a taxpayer, the last thing I want is for $125m of borrowed city funds being spent on an area where i do not live, own property, or frequent.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your house is on fire, and you have to borrow money in order to put out the fire, I say borrow the money.

I say borrow the money even if your bedroom isn't in the part of the house that's on fire.

If all that is true and you have to pay high interest because your credit is not excellent, I still say borrow the money.

But that's just what I say.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I agree. Borrow the money for education and public safety.

But don't borrow the money to remodel the kitchen.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But wouldnt a remodeled kitchen raise the overall value?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, and so would a new garage and a second story addition.

And if I was in a good financial position where I was looking at increase value and creating wealth, and could afford the risk, it may be worthwhile.

However, if I have bad credit, and have to get an adjustable, interest only loan -- one that I have to be creative just to cover the payments on a monthly basis, I would be a piss-poor financial manager.

It increases the tax burden and increases the debt level of a city that is already over leveraged and struggling to meet is obligations.

I just can't understand how it could get done.

And also, while remodeling the kitchen might raise the value of the house, taking out a second mortgage would just eat away at the equity.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ever notice whenever the media is focused on another Kwame blunder he pulls a rabbit out of a hat?
Of course, it's all bs and when the dust settles he's off in another direction. I wonder how long they can put off balancing the books. I guess when they finally can't borrow off of or sell any more city assets.

Quinn

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So on a Monday Kwame is slammed on a television station. Tuesday he coordinates hundreds of workers, managers, directors and volunteers to create a very complicated plan that takes community coordination in the next 10 (okay I'm giving you the weekend too) days in order to take attention and focus away from the slamming.

Hmmm.

Paulmcall, I've got 6 friends who work for the city, and this "Next Detroit" is all they've been talking about and planning for the past 6 months. Believe, me...it's all I hear at the bar, on the phone, in emails, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway...rest assured this isn't some hastily thrown together plan to take the spotlight off of a story that happened last week.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went to the EEV meeting; the policing plan announced was rather vague and broad. I am not sure what to expect from this plan.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree - the Mayor has never put bloated announcements out there to re-direct attention from his mistakes. That has never happened.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 977
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the timing of this announcement was related, but come on guys, don't act like this plan hasn't been known about for months. It's been on this site forever for christ's sake.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just went to the EEV meeting; the policing plan announced was rather vague and broad. I am not sure what to expect from this plan.

Since the Mayor and City Council appear to be dead set against hiring new police officers, I worry the "policing plan" boils down to: police 7 areas (the 6 targets + CBD) and ignore the rest of the city.

At least, until the next time 2 kids get murdered by drug dealers.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5866
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KING KWAME can talk about rejuvenation of the Detroit's ghettohoods. Bit I don't see him and his T.H.U.G. mafia with their broom and dust pans cleaning up any Detroit communities.

Fixing Detroit takes action not talk.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

May I say that it took exactly 5866 posts for me to actually, 100%, agree with you.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All - This good stuff happening more than any other mayor in my 30 some years of living here has done and still ya'll are a bitching.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules,

Do you take action for Detroit's ghettohood or are you one the talkers/ Me the Ghettoman and the rest the Street Prophets are action makers in Detroit ghettohoods for over 10 years and few results had been made. Do you part for Detroit. If you have property, keep it clean and tell you neighbors to do the same. Detroit will not get any better until we take action NOT TALK!

KING KWAME can't do it alone, The city council can't do it alone. The people od Detroit can do it. We are the ambassadors representing our city to the world so that more jobs and community development will came.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But wouldnt a remodeled kitchen raise the overall value?"

That's what I was thinking. Only new, up to date stuff that's approvable will lure the fish you want to your hook.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm all for great ideas and plans but there comes a time when you have to see some results.
There have been great plans for the Grand River- Greenfield area for years. The old Wards and boarded up Federals building are still sitting there looking like hell.
When they have a police foot patrol, pigs will fly.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already paving streets in EEV.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's doesn't mean one bit in NEIGHBORHOOD rejuvenation, just Driving ease for the neighborhood commuters. Our streets in NE Detroit have been repaved years ago, but the neighborhood hasn't gotten any better or worse and possibly even ease DOWN the hill.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This good stuff happening more than any other mayor in my 30 some years of living here has done and still ya'll are a bitching.

When the Mayor does something good, I praise him. When he screws up, I criticize him. Unfortunately, there have been more screw ups under the current Administration than any in recent memory.

When Coleman Young was Mayor, if I called 9-1-1 because there was a group of drug dealers fighting near my house and shots had been fired, the police would show up. The same thing hasn't happened under Mayor Kilpatrick.

I've had to call 9-1-1 six times in the past 18 months, including 1 case with shots being fired and two other cases where guns were present. DPD hasn't responded to any of those calls.

You can talk about all of these "improvements" that the Kilpatrick Administration wants to make. Unfortunately, because he and the City Council make public safety such a low-priority, all that really means is that hookers and drug dealers will simply have a nicer place to ply their trade.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9429
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much can be done by those who live in the neighbourhoods. Various block organizations, cleaning up one's own mess, cutting one's own lawn...these little things add up quickly.

You can't help those who do not want to help themselves no matter how much money is thrown at the problem(s). In a matter of months the area will look the same as it did previously.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize -
would you buy a house just because it has a nice new kitchen, if the bathroom were in shambles? it's lipstick on a pig!

Quinn

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did everyone hear that? Dabirch and Danny are in complete agreement!

I'm glad you've finally found someone you can form a brotherhood with Dabirch...I couldn't imagine a better match.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I were at friends house who live in EEV. It looks great (other than the repo'd houses) the streets are being torn up and redone and our friends said the city even planted 100 and some new trees after they cut down dead ones.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detailed plans for each neighborhood

Brightmoor
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%20Brightmoor%20-%20May%20 07.pdf

7 Mile/Livernois
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%207%20Mile%20Livernois%20 -%20May%2007.pdf

Greenfield/Grand River
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%20Grand%20River-Greenfiel d%20-%20May%2007.pdf

Northend
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%20Northend%20-%20May%2007 .pdf

East Englsih Village
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%20East%20English%20Villag e%20-%20May%2007.pdf

Osborn
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Ho mePage/NDNI/NDNI%20-%20Work%20 plan%20Osborn%20-%20May%2007.p df

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An "Extreme Sports Urban Park" in Brightmoor...
Didn't see that one coming.
Personally, I like this initiative. Just getting people talking about neighborhood cleanup and admitting there's a huge problem is a good start. Plus it looks like they're actually going to do this.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our EEV friends said the mayor's staff had several big meetings, well attended by many residents, and they all had input into what they wanted. They are really excited about it since things are already happening. I hope it comes to Grandmont soon.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a great first step for Detroit.
it seems that more neighborhoods will be targeted once these initiatives get off the ground. It's nice to see that many projects will be complete in a 2-3 year time line and the other longer lead time items are also long term plusses (business development, facade improvement, etc.)
not that Eastern Market is a neighborhood and not the the City is involved in maintaining it anymore but today i couldn't help but notice how trashed eastern market was coming in from mack/orleans, hope that the current management can get a clean up crew in order soon to canvass the entire area.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the cops respond any faster to citizen crime watchers?
These neighborhood term papers are wonderful to read but who is going to implement them?
Are the cops going to respond any faster?
Are the neighbors going to take back their neighborhoods?
Who the heck is going to start up a business in these areas?
Where is the money?

Davidmausolf
Username: Davidmausolf

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The downtown area is starting to finally create some momentum by itself, and I think it would be beneficial to get those that work downtown to actually live downtown. That could make it feasible for more businesses to open. Most of the companies I see downtown get very low foot traffic counts on the weekends, which makes a buisness plan difficult.

Heres the powerpoint on his plan:
http://www.google.com/notebook /Next%20Detroit%20Neighborhood %20Initiative

Paulmcall

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget downtown for a change ok?
We're talking about neighborhoods here.
Blight Busters is about the only thing that has made any difference over the years.
These high minded ideas are great but the residents have to want it too. Unless they get fired up and demand services plus put city official's feet to the fire nothing will get done.
It's tough to get dispirited folks inspired.
Evidently we need an urban Ghandi not a bling Kwame to lead the people out of their squalor.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize -
would you buy a house just because it has a nice new kitchen, if the bathroom were in shambles? it's lipstick on a pig!"

No, but I wouldn't buy a house with maintenance over 50 years old.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take an old house in Ann Arbor over a "new house" in Detroit any day. Location, location

Urbanize

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll take an old house in Ann Arbor over a "new house" in Detroit any day. Location, location"

We have a misunderstanding here. It really doesn't matter how old the house is, but how well the house is maintained. Take Detroit and San Fran for example. San Fran DID maintained the fabric of their neighborhoods, keeping thme nice and tidy, having them look more welcoming to the new families and present ones (with great and imporving city services). Where as Detroit, you haev Vacant lots everywhere, half working street lights, and other things that are a big issues in determining where I live. Basically, I would rather live somewhere with up-to-date, improved, maintained services and neighborhoods rather than some place with old, declining neighborhoods and services that only resemble the past and not rebirth.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.