Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Worthy new 'detroitblog' essay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crosstown attraction alert:

He's done it again, whoever that admirable urban exploration guide is. Take a look here at what you missed, or maybe were savvy enough to catch, in Southwest Detroit earlier this month.

Need a tease?
quote:

There are a lot of people who think Detroit consists of a few dozen restaurants and bars between Jefferson and Grand Circus Park, or a handful of traditional events within those borders. But the city has . . . countless things to do that remain undiscovered and unknown by most people only because they lie outside downtown’s narrow reach, and outside many people’s conceptions of what Detroit is.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the King does it again

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought I'd learn who deep throat was, but I did. Now I wonder if I'll every discover the identity of the Detroitblog guy.

He/she is brilliant.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He (pretty certain detroitblog is written by a "He") doesn't post nearly as often (or as many photos) as he used to as his blog's bandwidth gets overwhelmed pretty quickly and his service provider apparently doesn't like that.

I gotta wonder what kind of ISP he's using that can be that stingy and/or cheap.

If he needs volunteers with disk space to host images or donate a web account, I'd be eager to assist!

It's probably the best written Detroit-centered blog I've ever seen.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2770
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He makes a great point in that blog.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He (pretty certain detroitblog is written by a "He")

I'm 100% certain:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 428

Mauser765

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bandwidth issues were resolved, no stopping that site now. The best of the best.

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't mean the detroitblogger's a guy, Pam. ;-)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this essay was great - however, if the writer believes that the crowds thronging West Vernor during the Cinco de mayo weekend were sober, he is terribly wrong. I'm sort of shocked that the whole weekend was an exercise in drunkeness and throbbing cars racing up and down neighborhood streets. especially at night on Friday and Saturday the noise level, combined with police sirens going non-stop, was huge.

Having witnessed the explosive growth of this celebration over the last few years, I wonder what level it will go to next. It is a happy weekend - but not sober! And don't try to cross Vernor all day on both days, even at intersections with traffic lights. Impossible.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap - ever heard of the Woodward Cruise ? Talk about a million drunk rednecks.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Doesn't mean the detroitblogger's a guy, Pam. ;-)

Well sure a lesbian might like the models too but the overall article tone sounds male to me.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

based on facts leaked through pictures/entries in his blog here is some info on the detroit blog guy:

-white
-male
-localally published journalist
-25-40 years old

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought this essay was great - however, if the writer believes that the crowds thronging West Vernor during the Cinco de mayo weekend were sober, he is terribly wrong. I'm sort of shocked that the whole weekend was an exercise in drunkeness and throbbing cars racing up and down neighborhood streets. especially at night on Friday and Saturday the noise level, combined with police sirens going non-stop, was huge.

Having witnessed the explosive growth of this celebration over the last few years, I wonder what level it will go to next. It is a happy weekend - but not sober! And don't try to cross Vernor all day on both days, even at intersections with traffic lights. Impossible."

Experienced the aftermath firsthand! $1500 in car repairs from some jerk that decided to go speeding down my SWD neighborhood. >.< Makes me puke a little thinking people can just ram into other people's cars, destroy their property, with little or no regard for the consequences

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sort of thing happens in every city.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think he/she lives in the city or suburbs?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on his prior blog entries, he’s a skinny white guy who lives in Detroit whose name is John, & he’s a Hockey Player. And, if my guess is correct, he occasionally posts on this forum.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard he's "big" in some quasi-obscure undeground techno scene, the really violent/angry techno nobody likes to talk about. Goes by the name DJ Meat Sauce.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9430
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Similar to the robot-geek game programmer from Grandma's Boy?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Detroitblog said the Cinco de Mayo PARADE on SUNDAY was family oriented and sober. Having attended, I know this to be true. He wasn't talking about the bar-sponsored drunken revelry on Friday and Saturday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.