Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What the hell? Detroit City Council votes to impeach Bush, Cheney « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070516/NEW S01/70516072

By DAWSON BELL

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit City Council approved 7-0 Wednesday a resolution sponsored by the wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers to impeach President George Bush and Vice President Richard Cheney.

Congressman Conyers is the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, where any impeachment effort would commence, and a bitter opponent of the Bush administration and the war in Iraq. But he has said he does not intend to move forward with any impeachment effort -- following the lead of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. (rest at site)

You would think they have more pressing issues to worry about.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. The 8 people worse at their jobs than Bush and Cheney want them impeached.

Best of all the 8th person and the one who sponsored the resolution is on the famous pension junket, uh conference.

I'm glad they are attacking the tough day to day issues facing the city.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word on the street, is that the City Council's next step is for Detroit to secede, and cause an invasion by the US Army, and surrender.

Then enjoy the billions in aid to reconstruct.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they would have impeached Truman

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I really thought this was a joke.

It's like the town idiot calling out the town drunk.

Just plain ridiculous.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any of this suprise anybody?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5514
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you know how many cities have put forth resolutions of this sort, and how often this is done? Non-binding political resolutions are passed in cities every day. Why should this be a surprise?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least they did not issue a condemnation of the Bush Crime Gang for cronyism and incompetence.
That would just be too much irony for me.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7453
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd they've not gotten around to condemning murders in the city - after all, it's non-binding, right?

If I were a business owner considering whether to invest in the COD and saw this type of "leadership" I would be long gone to consider more progressive places.

Like New Orleans.

Oh, and BTW - who elected these losers?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have been busy this week, first making Detroit a sanctuary city and now voting to impeach Bush and Cheney. To paraphrase Harry Reid, I think the war is lost in Detroit.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't worth the ink we'd be wasting on it if blogs used up ink. This is no more and no less harmful than Congress declaring August 5 to be National Brie Cheese Day, or whatever.

Karl, come on. Businesses do not choose locations based on what goofy-assed resolutions the local community chooses to pass. Also, Detroit is hardly the first community to do such a thing.

It's a goofy and harmless protest, no different from people chanting contrived slogans in front of the Federal Building. This will have no more affect on the City (or Bush or Cheney) than for me to sit here with my Labatt's and type these few paragraphs. Utterly meaningless, and silly.

Karl

Post Number: 7464
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor, the City Council hardly sounds like they'd ever be likely to enact some Bush-like business-friendly tax cuts, do they?

I'd be outta there.

There are far more enticing places around the country. Detroit needs to do all it can to emphasis the good points and minimize/eliminate the rest.

Seems they could eliminate this City Council if they really wanted to grow. Apparently, they don't.

Even if "meaningless",

Image is everything.

Stuff like this makes Detroit look the fool.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well...... Shouldn't they have impeached Bush when he STOLE the 2001 election from Gore? And with this being his last year in office.......

I may be on the slow side here, but why did the Detroit CLOWNSIL wait for nearly EIGHT FRIGGIN' YEARS to do somethin' about this?!?!?

Like Karl said, this makes us-the citizens of Detroit-look like fools!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fools like San Francisco, the entire state of Vermont, and many others?

http://impeachpac.org/resoluti ons-list

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

Image is nothing; reality is everything. WMU did a rather extensive survey of where businesses nationwide would expand if they had the chance. High-tax Massachusetts and California led the list. The quality of life is what businesses look for when they expect to succeed and will need to entice people to work for them.

Tax cuts are not what modern businesses look for. Certainly you can set your taxes so high as to dissuade business from coming; but in Detroit that is not the problem. In Detroit the problem is the quality of life (perceived or real) is so low that businesses don't feel they can attract quality employees if they locate here.

A pointless protest resolution by the pointless City Council has no effect whatsoever on that.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"fools like San Francisco, the entire state of Vermont, and many others? "

Yes just like them.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only fools, here, are those that equate this to anything more than any of the other countless, symbolic resolutions and dedications passed in American cities on a daily basis. This one no more, or no less, impedes the work of this municipal council than the passing of any other non-binding, symbolic resolution of any other municipal council in this nation.

Slow news day, indeed. The only fools, here, are those that see this as anything more than fodder for sweeps.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should really help speed federal money into the Detroit region.

Peanut757
Username: Peanut757

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city has enough issues just on the Eastside alone that the council NEED to be worrying about than something like that. If they put their heads together instead of their asses, they will stay busy and always have something to do instead of being idle, and minds wondering off on things like this. Question, how does what they are trying to do now, solve situations like the 90 year old man that got beat up? How does that have an impact on people having to bolt down their cars at night so they will still be outside when they go to work in the morning. I say this because these are the reasons I left Detroit and came back to Virginia.....a

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council's charge was led by Detroit atty Bill Goodman, a flaming liberal if there ever was one, a fine trial atty and a real good guy. The current Bar Journal lists him as still working in NYC and running the Center For Constitutional Rights.I am sure Bill wrote the resolution, counseled the group, and told them where to sign on the dotted line.
I will e-mail him and ask how the resolution is coming along on Rep. Conyer's improper use of his staff to run personal errands and tutor his kids.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is almost as goofy as the grape thrower lady. At least Detroit will make the national news again.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Council can file this meaningless resolution right next to another one that Monica Conyers sponsored - remember the one to re-name the Detroit Tunnel after her husband? At least she was present to vote on that resolution.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9205
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if this only took 5 minutes it is ridiculous that they waste their time with this stuff. It's sickening that they can have all 8 in a room to make useless resolutions but can't get their ignorant heads together to get sheriff's deputies on buses.

I say we pass a resolution confirming that CC is a bunch of fools. Actually they do that to themselves.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Councilwoman Monica Conyers was unable to vote for her own resolution because she is in Hawaii for a national pension conference."

The people at The Onion couldn't have written a better line than that.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAH!!!! What a bunch of maroons! The Detroit City CLOWNSIL or any city council or alderman board can't issue a impeachment hearing for President KING George Bush unless they make appeal to congress in Capitol Hill.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am attempting to send a note of disgust to my City Council, but keep getting error messages. Hopefully they are getting swamped by emails.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/le gislative/Feedback/Feedback_fr ame.htm

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local governments can play a major role in the impeachment process. Individuals, groups or local governments can initiate the impeachment process by sending charges to the Congress for them to act on. Efforts are now underway in several states to initiate impeachment of George Bush. Many cities and counties have already passed resolutions calling for impeachment.

The Bush administration's lying, neglect, tax cuts for millionaires and thievery have had a DIRECT and devastating effect on cities like Detroit and the African American community nationwide (Katrina).

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they do stuff that can actually make a difference in the city of Detroit. I realize this is just an exercise in symbolism but still it's just another fine example of your tax dollars being wasted.

Lafayette

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your concern is wasted tax dollars, then trying to bring down the Bush administration is a public service to save the country and stolen/wasted tax dollars in places too numerous to count, including Iraq. If you care about your tax dollars being wasted, why aren't you complaining about audits finding billions that went to Halliburton for reconstruction now "missing" as the company quietly relocates its Texas headquarters to another country before the investigation begins? Detroit City Council holding one vote for a resolution can't hold a candle to that amount of "wasted taxpayer dollars."

Karl

Post Number: 7491
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we approach the 40th anniversary of the Detroit riots this July, we can see that no scars remain from that event (other than a memorial plaque) and a new, vibrant city has emerged from the ashes - crime free, bustling, and a haven for thinkers of all types. Learning is promoted at a wide variety of venues for higher education while the arts enjoy healthy support in a city rich with ethnic heritage. Population continues to increase as folks from around the world flock to Detroit for its rich architecture, wide diversity, excellent schools and safe streets.

Thus, the city council has time on its hands after "a job well done" and I applaud them for their noble stance.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 816
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a city that has so many other problems and needs so urgently to get its own house in order, the better choice would have been to not take up official time with the impeachment issue.

That said, there is little question that the president has committed impeachable offenses. In the past, I was of the mind that even though the offenses occurred, it was not worth the national effort and grief to pursue an impeachment trial. As conflicts in the Middle East escalate, however, I've begun to think that impeaching the president might be the best way to begin to restore the international integrity and respect that were vaporized by our actions over the past 5 years. It would be an acknowledgement to the world that we understand that we have made some terrible mistakes. Obviously, this would not appease the Islamists who will always need a world villain to justify their jihad, but it would be a start with other more rational peoples.

Karl

Post Number: 7493
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck, Swingline.

With a majority of Dems in both Houses, they can't manage to surrender in Iraq, much less impeach Bush. I suggest you devote your efforts toward getting your man/woman elected in '08.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - Thanks for the chuckle, I needed one right about now. Yes, the libs really have their priorities straight, undermine our soldiers and making sure a bunch of non-citizen lawbreakers feel welcome.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there are no impeachable offenses whatsoever and the libs know it. There is no evidence that the intelligence was "cooked" in any way prior to the war, it just happened to be wrong. Along with the intel that Clinton had and almost every other intelligence agency on earth.

Lets face it, the impeachment crap did not start until we had some setbacks in Iraq and the left saw that as a political opportunity to tar Bush as a failure (at the expense of the country). Even after we did not find WMD's nobody was calling for impeachment, that only happened after the war got more difficult and public support started to wane.

The Democrats that voted for the war were not "fooled" by Bush and they know it. Many even explicitly stated that they supported the war not because of what Bush said, but due to their own assessment. The leading candidate for president for the Dems is one of these people.

Hillary in 2003:

"There is a very easy way to prevent anyone from being put into harm's way, that is for Saddam Hussein to disarm," Clinton told CodePink. "I have absolutely no belief he will. I have to say this is something I've followed for more than a decade. If he were serious about disarming, he would have been much more forthcoming.

I ended up voting for the resolution after carefully reviewing the information and the intelligence I had available, taking people whose opinions I trusted."

Lafayette

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline: getting rid on an incompetent and dishonest federal government of this magnitude IS one of the "so many other problems" you cite the city of Detroit should work on. One example of why this is Detroit's and every U.S. city's problem: Bush administration cuts in federal revenue sharing have helped add to the financial crisis Detroit is in (and many other cities across Michigan which have cut to the bone) and taken desperately needed dollars away that could be used to create the utopia you describe. Revenue sharing cuts = police cuts, Neighborhood Block Grant cuts, cuts to federally backed loans for developers/investors to invest in Detroit, all the things needed to create that great quality of life you describe. It's all connected.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette stupidly wrote:
quote:

The Bush administration's lying, neglect, tax cuts for millionaires and thievery have had a DIRECT and devastating effect on cities like Detroit and the African American community nationwide (Katrina).

Hey, Lafayette, I do not know what cave you have been living in for the past 25 years, but welcome to the 21st century. The fact is Detroit and New Orleans have been crapholes well before the REAGAN administration.

Next...

Lafayette

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no way you can compare pre and post-Katrina New Orleans and just say oh, well, it was a "craphole" before Katrina so they shouldn't have lifted a finger to deal with the crisis. Never said pre-Katrina was a paradise, and what does that have to do with how Katrina should have been responded to? I'm talking about the damage done by neglect and incompetence in handling Katrina both during and after. Because of that alone, not the problems that existed before Katrina, huge portions of the "tax paying" population there have their lives ruined.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All too many of the victims of Katrina were tax consumers, not taxpayers. They long ago became dependent on the federal government and thus gave up one of the main responsibilities of adulthood, which is self-reliance.

When tragedy struck, they were therefore programmed to wait around for the government to come and rescue them. They didn't seem to know what conservatives DO KNOW which is large bureaucratic organizations are by nature incompetent.

Even the local and state politicians took the same attitude. Ray Nagin was quoted as saying "We were waiting for the calvary," not realizing that he and his administration were supposed to BE the calvary.

9/11 was another good example, the planes that struck their targets were filled with crew and passengers who were following all of the regulations and protocols set out by the federal government in the event of a hijack. This is not to blame them, they were doing what they thought was best. Those on Flight 93 acted on their own and thus were able to at least prevent further tragedy.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG this is too funny.

I propose they vote to cure cancer. I can't imagine that they haven't yet...those bastards...all of these people don't have to die.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the purpose of this resolution is???

- Divert attention away from the fact that CC is little more that a one-ring circus?

- Make people wonder if they happen to have anything better to do with their time?

- Draw attention to the fact that CC is overpaid and has too much free time on their hands?

Lafayette

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should support a resolution to cure cancer if the cure starts with state & local government resolutions, as it does with impeachment.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is insane. Why would they do anything that doesn't help Detroit. Who cares about Bush and Cheney?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentlemen, the "libs" don't even need to address the false intelligence issue to come up with an impeachable offense. I'm pretty sure they'll settle for a trial over the illegal domestic wiretapping and electronic surveillance between 2001 and 2004 that President Bush personally approved.

Hmm, which was more of an affront to the American people, a lie under oath about some extramarital oral sex or a deliberate violation of the civil rights of tens of thousands of citizens. That's a tough one. I'll have to think about it for awhile.

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe they did this,how embarrassing

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think the CC did it just to piss of Karl.:-)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing embarrassing about it - be happy they actually agreed on something

under Congressional House rules a state legislature can initiate impeachment proceedings - Vermont already passed a resolution - I have no trouble supporting them - New Mexico has also been mentioned as a state that might push for it

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is embarrassing. We can vote to impeach the president but we cant put police officers on Ddot buses? That is just stupid and none of the incumbent city council members especially the ones who voted against officers on city buses will get my vote.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, maybe you are right and the Council is all powerful. Now they can use their power to help their citizens. Why don't they declare that everyone is now a millionaire and let the good times roll! Then they decree that the temperature never drops below 75 degrees and they can start taking tourists away from Florida.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's not stupid - resolving to impeach the Pres doesn't cost anything and theoretically might help, considering the party in power

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that the Democrat-controlled Congress has an even lower approval rating than the President, I don't think anyone has to worry about any Articles of Impeachment.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Amazing. The 8 people worse at their jobs than Bush and Cheney want them impeached. "

Oh, I beg to differ. There is NO ONE worse, nor more incompetent than these guys.
At this point in time, it's so painfully obvious, what rock do you have to be under not to get it?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the reaction here you'd think this doesn't happen at all levels government every day. I know they have better things to do, but I don't see how this any more embarrassing than anything they've done or anything other legislative body have done.

There are far more meaningful things taking place on council, ,of course, the local press doesn't find time to cover those ISSUES. Joann Watson maintains council agenda on her web page-about the only worthwhile thing she does. If you take a look most of this week has been taken up with budget hearings, but NOT ONE goddamn word from the Freep or Snooze about the outcome of the discussions this week. But council spends two minutes on a BS resolution and it's front page news? C'mon this should've been a news brief at most
http://www.detroitmi.gov/legis lative/CityCouncil/Members/Wat son/Watson_currently.htm

This is what council discussed the day resolution ya think they could've spend as much ink on some of this?

930 AM DISCUSSION Committee of the Whole
Economic Emergencies declared by other States

ATTENDING: City Council Fiscal Analysis & Research Analysis Divisions

10:00 AM CDBG/NOF Committee of the Whole

Community Development Block Grant/Neighborhood Opportunity Fund (CDBG/NOF)

ATTENDING: City Planning Commission; Planning and Development Department

1:30 PM BUDGET HEARING Committee of the Whole

Buildings and Safety Engineering Department

ATTENDING: Buildings and Safety Engineering Department; Budget and Finance Department

2:00 PM BUDGET HEARING Committee of the Whole

Workforce Development Department

ATTENDING: Workforce Development Department; Budget and Finance Departments

2:30 PM BUDGET HEARING Committee of the Whole

Municipal Parking Department

ATTENDING: Municipal Parking Department; Budget and Finance Departments

3:00 PM BUDGET HEARING Committee of the Whole

Detroit Water and Sewerage Department

ATTENDING: Detroit Water and Sewerage Department; Budget and Finance Departments

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they wonder why people move out and never return? Christ almighty, if I did this kind of crap on the clock I would be shit-canned. Do they think people are going to be in awe of them for being so out spoken?? Gheesssshhhhh...Barf!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our tax dollars at work. Wasting time on a useless resolution on our dime. Who votes for these people?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Detroit City Council that wanted SMART out of Livonia.

And now, SMART does not qualify for any federal transit grants for the low-income or minorities because of discrimination.

Thanks again, for sleeping on the job.

Wake Up, DYers and learn the TRUth about the real reasons we don't have good public bus service.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the people on this issue can settle down a little bit, at least Detroit isn't alone on this vote.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were simply participating in our democracy-something more of us-maybe more than ever-should.Symbolic gestures draw attention to issues.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, more wasted money that those of us that work hard to generate will be forced to supply.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we at the Grosse Pointe Coffee Club and Detroit East Side Boosters organization voted to impeach the Detroit City Council.

Symbolic as it was, we all believe it was a powerful statement that we invite you to join in on.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we get some sort of grant?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe council wouldn't have to vote on the "symbolic" issue if congress would get enough balls to vote on the real issue.

Just a thought.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5962
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

You quote that it was the Detroit City Council that wanted SMART out of Livonia.

NO!!!!!

It the Livonia City Council that propose a resolution to have the SMART BUS opt out and the folks in Livonia voted YES! because of the Super Evil Wal-mart scare and possible more black residents living in their cookie cutter neighborhoods next to the Evil Super Wal-Mart Center.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.