Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DC close to losing black majority « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like years of gentrification is turning Washington DC whiter. The story below says DC will lose its status as a majority-black city by 2020, becoming a metropolis without a clear-cut racial majority, a la New York and Los Angeles. You have to wonder, has such a transformation already started, or even possible, in Detroit? Could we end up seeing the equivalent of Coleman A Young and L Brooks Patterson going after each other from different sides of 8 Mile?

D.C. May Be Losing Status As a Majority-Black City

By N.C. Aizenman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 17, 2007; Page A01

The District of Columbia's longtime status as a majority-black city appears to be diminishing, even as Maryland and Virginia continue to experience a dramatic rise in their minority populations, according to census estimates released today.

The 14 percent increase in non-Hispanic white District residents and 6 percent decrease in blacks from 2000 to 2006 are probably the result of the gentrification of once-affordable city neighborhoods, demographers said.

The impact on the city's racial makeup is noticeable. In 2000, blacks made up 60 percent of the District's population. By 2006, that figure was 55 percent.

If the trends continue, the city will almost certainly cease to be majority black by 2020, said Robert E. Lang, director of the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech. "It will wind up more like a Los Angeles or a New York, with no clear majority."

Nationally, minorities have far higher growth rates than non-Hispanic whites and make up more than a third of the U.S. population. Their numbers topped 100 million in 2006, with Hispanics accounting for 15 percent of the U.S. population, non-Hispanic blacks for 12 percent and Asians for 4 percent.

From 2000 to 2006, the number of non-Hispanic black residents in the District declined to 322,000, the number of non-Hispanic whites rose to about 184,000 and the number of Asians increased to 18,000, a 20 percent gain.

"What you see are whites moving into the city because they are able to afford the pricey housing in all these areas that are gentrifying and becoming much more middle and upper-middle class," said William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution. "Meanwhile, the city is becoming more unaffordable to lower-income black families."

Although the data are too general for definitive conclusions, Frey said it is likely that many black and Hispanic families are moving to Washington suburbs.

Ironically, Lang said, many majority-white cities in the country will become more multiracial and multi-ethnic because of the higher rates of growth in their minority populations compared with those of whites.

The trend is evident in Maryland: From 2000 to 2006, the state's Hispanic population grew by 48 percent, the Asian population by 28 percent and the non-Hispanic black population by 10 percent. The non-Hispanic white population declined by 1 percent.

Similarly, in Virginia, the non-Hispanic white population increased by 4 percent, compared with 46 percent for Hispanics, 36 percent for Asians and 8 percent for non-Hispanic blacks.

Because the white populations of both states were so large to begin with, whites remain a sizable majority. And only four states -- Hawaii, New Mexico, California and Texas -- are majority-minority. In theory, Lang said, the entire country could reach that status by 2040.

But Lang questions whether the term "minority" will be defined the same way by then. Nearly 2 percent of the population is identified as multiracial, he noted. And that percentage is likely to rise with intermarriage among races and ethnic groups. The notion of what is "white" is also likely to shift as it has since the 1900s, when Southern and Eastern Europeans were not counted as white.

"I don't think that officially there will ever be a moment where we're at majority-minority status, because long before you get to that point, the meaning of the term majority will be completely redefined," he said.

The U.S. Census Bureau also released statistics on age: Two states, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, had the second-highest percentage of people 65 and older, each with 15 percent. Florida remained No. 1 with 17 percent.

www.washingtonpost.com

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I think it's already started, and it's a very positive thing...

but I don't understand the comment about Young and Patterson...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story talks about how African-American and Latino families are moving to the suburbs.

quote:

Although the data are too general for definitive conclusions, Frey said it is likely that many black and Hispanic families are moving to Washington suburbs.

I wonder if the roles would stay the same but the locations would change if Detroit followed this trend?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that Detroit is about 50 years behind cities like NYC and DC, look for this to finally occur here about 2080.

(Message edited by Fury13 on May 17, 2007)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would Detroit follow this trend? The dynamics are completely different.

DC is extremely expensive and has a strong economy while Detroit is extremely affordable and has a weak economy. Who is being "pushed out" of Detroit?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Considering that Detroit is about 50 years behind cities like NYC and DC

Maybe 30 years behind NYC and 10 years behind DC. I remember visiting a DC 10 years ago that looks nothing like it does when I was there a month ago...

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The housing situation between Detroit & Washington is so different, i.e. very expensive Revolutionary War houses in Georgetown; a solid, permanent, ever growing employment base with the government; and people willing to pay expensive tuition for top notch private schools in the city.
I don't see anything similar in Detroit vs. Washington here.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5874
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway,

Good point, over the past 35 years Washington DC was segregated to the point that black-folks wouldn't even leave Georgetown unless they want to get beat up. By the 1970s DC's black population increased up to near 70% white flight to the suburbs has reduced DC's white population to 15% but now gentrification, rising violent crime, city corruption, scandals from Mayor Bailey and housing opportunities in Maryland's Prince Georges County cause more black folks from DC to migrate over there by the thousands and more white folks are slowing coming back to DC or move someplace else. Today DC white population has increased to over 30% a sure sign that reclaiming their nation's capital and protect their American's treasures from vandals and terrorists and more Hispanics in DC are on the population growth, too sneaking their way into black DC neighborhoods.

A simular tread could happen to Detroit, not right now but within 20 to 50 years.

With gentrification of DC neighborhoods comes rising property values in which more poor minorities can't afford and " NOUVEAU RICHE" middle class folks can buy. That could be the main reason the lots of DC black folks are heading the Maryland suburbs.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The housing situation between Detroit & Washington is so different, i.e. very expensive Revolutionary War houses in Georgetown; a solid, permanent, ever growing employment base with the government; and people willing to pay expensive tuition for top notch private schools in the city.
I don't see anything similar in Detroit vs. Washington here."

Well, for years DC was known as the Murder Capital.... and so was Detroit. So there is your similarity.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also,the price of homes and townhouses in nice neighborhoods is out of range for most young couples after getting married

Since there are so many trashed areas east of the White house, many of those vandalized and vacant townhomes are a good investment. Also, as wealthier people move in, the thugs move out and take much of the crime out of the area. Hope it continues to happen, I remember where thugs were attacking tourists at the monuments so bad last year that they had to post security after getting so many complaints.....Sounds like a good plan to me

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since there are so many trashed areas east of the White house, many of those vandalized and vacant townhomes are a good investment. Also, as wealthier people move in, the thugs move out and take much of the crime out of the area. Hope it continues to happen, I remember where thugs were attacking tourists at the monuments so bad last year that they had to post security after getting so many complaints.....Sounds like a good plan to me

???

Truth be told, housing values here have gone through the roof since 1999. A lot of the groundwork for this was laid over 30 years ago, when the Metro was constructed.

Many of the folks "pushed out" bought their houses years ago when they were dirt cheap, and have cashed out with the increase in housing values. For example, on Capitol Hill, you could buy a 2000 sf rowhouse for $150,000 about five or six years ago. The same house now goes for upwards of $600,000. I don't feel too bad for someone who makes those kinds of capital gains that quickly.

Houses here are no longer a good investment. Single family homes in Anacostia now start at $200,000, and the median home price in the city is $429,000. You can't possibly expect to cover your mortgage payment with the rent you would collect.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a slow but steady gentrification of many DC neighborhoods for the last 30 years. This followed a 1950's-1970's suburbanization and white flight scenario common to most Eastern U.S. cities.

The recent DC experience illuminates the incredibly strong demand for an urban living experience among middle and upper middle class Americans. The strength of this demand occurs despite the condition of the DC public schools. With the exception of a handful of elementary schools in the upper NW part of the city, achievement levels in DC public schools fall in the bottom quartile nationally. There are not a lot of private school options with tuitions less than $15,000 annually. In most cities, gentrification on a small scale can be driven by childless households. Bad schools usually kind of caps the demand among households with children. But in DC, a very massive gentrification is being driven almost totally by childless households. It seems kind of unique to me. But, then again, the DC economy, dominated as it is by government and affiliated white collar industries, is unique.

(Message edited by swingline on May 17, 2007)

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before we can begin to compare what's going on in Detroit to what's happened in cities like DC, NYC, and Chi, over the last few decades, the economy of the State of Michigan and southeastern MI will need to improve dramatically.

A few areas near Downtown Detroit are currently undergoing gentrification surrounded by vast areas of decay in a stagnant or still declining economy.

This situation in Detroit does not begin to compare with the housing markets in DC and NYC.

In DC and NYC, former city residents are being displaced and moving to the suburbs mostly because they're being priced-out of the actual cities. The economies are thriving, the populations are increasing in these cities and in their Metro Areas. The price of everything, especially housing, has appreciated. These cities are what we call world cities, with diversified, adapting economies. The companies and educational institutions based in these places compete to attract the top minds in the world.

Sadly, the above description does not apply to Detroit. Perhaps it never really has. Until Detroit satisfies the above description, and many other factors come together, I would not begin to discuss Detroit in comparison to a place like DC.

Does anyone have any numbers that show the White population in Detroit increasing? If I had to guess, I would say Blacks and Whites are still leaving the city at an alarming rate, while perhaps the Hispanic population has grown somewhat? Am I close here?

Danindc

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In most cities, gentrification on a small scale can be driven by childless households. Bad schools usually kind of caps the demand. But in DC, a very massive gentrification is being driven almost totally by childless households. It seems kind of unique to me.

Nationally, only about 25% of all households have school-age children.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7478
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Detroit African Americans continue to accelerate the extermination of their own population via the black holocaust (58% of all AA pregnancies aborted) and much higher than average murder rate, while whites venture downtown to new, more secure places like the revamped Book Cadillac, the possibility of such a changeover could happen more quickly than anyone anticipates.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As Detroit African Americans continue to accelerate the extermination of their own population via the black holocaust (58% of all AA pregnancies aborted) and much higher than average murder rate..."

That's pretty depressing. Any way to lift up Detroit short of genocide?

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a subway/efficient mass transit Detroit will never see the housing appreciation DC or NYC has enjoyed. Part of what lures young adults to Chinatown/Logan/Prospect Park/Harlem is the critical mass of other young single/educated professionals. I'd venture that the majority of residents in the "gentrifying" neighborhoods of Chinatown/USt/Logan/Penn Quarter or Hamilton Heights/Williamsburg don't have children so the focus isn't on schools. It's on quality of life, low crime and all the city has to offer at your fingerprints, sans having to drive to get there.

Karl

Post Number: 7484
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, if you can figure that one out and how to get elected mayor at the same time, Detroit may well rise out of the ashes. Bill Cosby has the answer for Detroit, but Detroit isn't yet ready to listen.

Good luck.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this has been an interesting thread, keep it up

English
Username: English

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"English, if you can figure that one out and how to get elected mayor at the same time, Detroit may well rise out of the ashes. Bill Cosby has the answer for Detroit, but Detroit isn't yet ready to listen."

Honestly, I blame hip-hop and black Generation Xers (my generation). Gen-X's nihilism and "Whatever" attitude just isn't a good look for black folks.

But hip-hop is on the way out. Soon, it'll be the music and culture of the old folks. Everything cycles back around, I think... soon, it'll be cool to go to school, graduate, hold down a job, take care of home, marry, have children, and live productive lives.

The only worry I have is that by the time black Detroit comes around, it'll be too late. Lord knows there aren't enough jobs for everyone in the region already... what happens when the large percentage of city residents who have dropped out of the workforce drop back in, so to speak?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Belleislerunner

Also, what seems to get lost on your point about mass transit is the synergy and vibrancy that is lost as a result of being chained to your cars for everything. That is what is really attractive about places like NYC, SF, etc. There are very few places in s/e Michigan that can offer that type of environment. The city proper is one of the very few places in the region that is even designed to offer that. It's only missing the key component of an efficient transit system.

Danindc

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Well, that and half the land doesn't have to be parking lots just to accommodate the building occupants on the other half of the land.

Karl

Post Number: 7486
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, the "lack of mass transit" is not what's causing Detroit's problems.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, may your comments be taken at face value, or are you humoring the tsk-tsking white folks who are critical of perceived missteps being taken by the black community?

Danindc

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Uh, the "lack of mass transit" is not what's causing Detroit's problems.

Well, when about a third of your workforce can't get to a job, I'd say that's a problem.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Uh, the "lack of mass transit" is not what's causing Detroit's problems.

Are we talking about what's wrong with Detroit or the African American community? Either way, you've been way off the target in your diagnosis.

Michigan

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saying that the lack of mass transit is the problem with Detroit is putting the cart before the horse.

Detroit used to have mass transit, did it not? It didn't stop nor stem the cities decline. The city has lots and lots of problems. Lack of mass transit is WAY down on the line of what needs to be fixed there.

Karl

Post Number: 7492
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, I must respectfully disagree.

From "Field of Dreams" -

"Only if you build mass transit to the ballpark, people will come."

Michigan

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, but will those people live inside or outside the city of Detroit, Grasshopper

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking of starting this thread about 5:00 a.m., but wondered if it would generate 1). little interest and 2). be considered another DC post even though the urban theory principles are relevant in some degree to Detroit.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, when about a third of your workforce can't get to a job, I'd say that's a problem."

That is of course assuming that the 1/3 you mention is willing and able to work.

Belleislerunner

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl is right. Mass transit needs to be in place for the people/jobs to come. Without a subway the city would be nothing more than skyscrapers w/ attached parking garages. What then is the difference between having your office building in Troy or on W. Grand in terms of creating urban density. You're never going to leave it or venture more than one or two blocks away. Subways allow people to live in one section of town, commute to another, eat lunch in a third - all within an hours time. This spurs economic development at each Metro stop in turn providing jobs for the residents thereof.

Even the trickle down effect is rewarding. Most subways have free newspapers for riders (e.g. Express or AM New York). Thousands of kids ride the subway to school every day and while many may not read the papers - thousands do. Think of the positive impact on the reading comprehension, world view and general awareness. The children become exposed to successful people in the print and one day can achieve to be like them. They see businesspeople on the train in suits/ties/laptops heading to work who become role models for the young to emulate. How many urban youth in Detroit have the opportunity to read a newspaper on the way to school each morning and be exposed to thousand of "working adults" aka positive role models that reinforce the value of an education? That's why you tend to see cities with subways having a "higher educated" workforce.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Detroit used to have mass transit, did it not? It didn't stop nor stem the cities decline.

Seems to me that the decline of the city actually coincides with the dismantling of the transit system and the implementation of the urban renewal projects (freeways).

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yes, but will those people live inside or outside the city of Detroit

A lot more will live inside than you think. The market for big city urban living options, i.e. lofts and high-rise condos, has been drastically under served in Michigan for a long time. The people demanding it have been here for a while too, at least until they move the NYCs, Chicagos or San Frans of America. This explains why the loft and condo projects in city centers, especially in Detroit, are the only bright spots in Metro Detroit's dismal real-estate market. Imagine the demand if the economy weren't hurting so much right now?

And the school district isn't as key as most people would think, although it's still important. People who prefer this lifestyle stereotypically don't have kids. If they have already raised their families or don't plan on having one, the schools don't matter as much. Remember families with school-age children only make up 25 percent of the families in America. If they do plan on raising a family later on why not buy, or rent, a place for a few years in a city center and then sell it for the suburban home when they're ready to have kids?

Mass transit is essential to creating a dense, vibrant city center. Creating a rail-based mass transit system, say along the Woodward corridor, is one of the best things Detroit can do to encourage gentrification.

Michigan

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting ideas from all. but i am not yet comvinced

Danindc

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

interesting ideas from all. but i am not yet comvinced

Of what are you not convinced?

Michigan

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that building a large mass transit system is a prerequisite to reviving Detroit.

Danindc

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask yourself this: how much density (or "critical mass") can you hope to achieve if two-thirds of the land downtown must be dedicated to automobile usage?

Michigan

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand. But LA does it. San Diego does it. Atlanta does it. Miami does it. New orleans did it.
I am not saying it is a bad idea or that it should never happen. But given limited resources I think other factors should be addressed first.

Belleislerunner

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LA has an efficient subway. I've taken it from LAX to Downtown to Burbank. Miami also has an subway that runs throughout downtown (a la People Mover) and an extended route that goes past Key Biscane/Corral Gables. Atlanta has the Marta system. Have you ridden any of the mass transit in any of these cities or do you just assume because it's not NYC, DC or Chicago it doesn't have a subway?

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make no mistake, CarHeads were not only instrumental in killing Detroit, they have been instrumental in keeping it down.

They successfully shut down and dismantled a great street rail system and have successfully kept out all transit in the region for more than 50 years.

They are truly evil.

Danindc

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Diego has the Trolley, that opened in 1981, paving the way for cities like Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake, Houston, and Phoenix, to build light rail.

Even Los Angeles is making attempts to densify its downtown, although if you ask me, most of the LAs and Atlantas of the world are barely urban. Most of these cities, though, were built around the car. Detroit was wholesale gutted and retrofitted to accommodate cars.

Karl

Post Number: 7496
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"CarHeads were not only instrumental in killing Detroit, they have been instrumental in keeping it down....They are truly evil"

I can assure you that when folks around the world think about/look at Detroit and consider whether to visit/live there, public transit is, um, around #17 on the list.

This, after twice in our nation's history, Detroit was the wealthiest city on the planet.

Michigan

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are joking about the trolley being a major mass transit system in San Diego, aren't you?

Danindc

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the San Diego Trolley a major system? Well, it does carry over 107,000 people per day (4th largest light rail system in U.S.). That's more than the much-ballyhooed Portland MAX.

Karl, perhaps you care to explain the significance of the surface parking lot in downtown Detroit, if transit is #17 on your list. Or why young people aren't exactly flocking to Phoenix, Detroit, Kansas City, and other transit-poor cities. Perhaps it's because they don't want to live in places that consist mostly of parking???

If you must know, I personally made a deliberate decision to relocate to a city that had good public transit, just so I wouldn't have to drive everywhere. There are many others in my generation who think similarly.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - Public transit itself may be down the list, but proper public transit sets important groundwork for other things that make a city vital and attractive - it leads to higher living densities that spur things like walkable streets and active storefronts - two critical things in making your city an attractive place to be and visit.

Belleislerunner

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about SE Michigan. When you have friends come to visit do you tend to take them to Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Downtown, Mt Clemens or Pontiac or do you take them to hang out in Sterling Heights, Warren, Lincoln Park or Livonia? What's the difference between the first set and the second. While not embracing mass transit, the first set all have a critical mass/density associated with make it an attractive place to visit. One can walk from an art gallery, to a coffee shop, to dinner to an ice cream store without having to drive. That's hard to do on Big Beaver or Hall Rd.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Karl is right, it's becuase of all the boogey men that live in the city and i hope English is just not really trying to entertain Karl (granted alot of what she says may be true but it is more so a symptom and not the cause).

Word of advice English, you know his mindset don't encourage him...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on May 17, 2007)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greater downtown Detroit is taking baby steps this trend.

Brush park-midtown -once single family victorian homes and apartment mid and high-rises and ALL WHITE, Sat abandonded for decades, Now being converted to multiple unit condos. New condo units filling empty spots from I-75 east to I-94, All this plus re-developed storefronts along Woodward, formal grand ballrooms turning into lofts, thriving restaurants, art museums, and a growing college campus and medical campus.

Corktown: white people are returning, pouring tons of dollars in cute, brightly colored cookie cutter victorian homes, prices are through the roof.

Woodbridge: Housing projects are falling down, making room for Woodbridge estates. single family houses in the $200,000 range. The hood is being outpriced.

Mexican town: Mexican population glowing like wild. retail and international welcome center. more brand new single family homes then anywhere else.

Laffeyette park: A stable downtown adjacent neighborhood, slowly growing north toward gratiot.

Riverfront East: Breaking ground on over $160 million worth of high end condos and a state park.

CBD.
BOOk Cadillac--67 CONDOS,$300,000 TO 1.4 MILLION, plus moe condos atop 10 story parking structure. Pick Fort Shelby-- 73 not cheap apts, plus 375 hotel rooms. 1001 Woodward-- entire high rise converting to condos.
Roger Penski is the new freakin head white man in charge along wit Olympia entertainment owner. Sound like we are headed to a whiter city as these trends continue. Black folks dont wanna pay the high price to heat these houses, plus they seem fed up with feeling neglected for the new frontier moving into downtown. Blacks are moving down south and sterling heights, canton, warren, dearborn, Bloomfield, Royal oak, Farmington, troy. while the white population in Detroit is acually growing

Karl

Post Number: 7498
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how many murders did "boogey men" commit in the COD last year - and so far this year?

Murders are indeed a symptom. The cause comes from the homes of Detroit.

Not the schools.

Not the streets.

Not the churches.

Not the mayor, or city council.

But the homes.

Danindc

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murder can happen anywhere. What's your point?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And how many murders did "boogey men" commit in the COD last year - and so far this year?

Murders are indeed a symptom. The cause comes from the homes of Detroit

Let's see so many omisions and distortions of real world facts, so little time...

According to Karls twisted logic (yet again), then that means that even I am a murder and a criminal since I came up in a single parent home, became a Graduate of DPS, and spent every day of my life in the City of Detroit...

Now that being said then why have I not murdered anybody yet? Hmmmmmm...could it be that Karl does not see individual Black men and Women...all he sees are Black Folks that all engage in groupthink!

But dammit I keep forgetting that crimes like murder and others do not happen north of 8 mile nor west of Telegraph...

What was I thinking?

Let me show the products of two gentlemen who came up in a two parent home, in a very exclusive suburb and see how they turned out. Did this begin "in the homes of Detroit"? Or is it still a ghetto thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E ric_Harris_and_Dylan_Klebold

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on May 17, 2007)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_Stylin, unfortunately your previous post is ridiculous and doesn't come close to responding to Karl. He's not indicting all detroiters, nor is he saying crime only happens in Detroit. And your genius idea to throw in the Columbine murderers helps your point how?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MBR if you dont know the history please censor yourself....

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not defending Karl, he's ridiculous as well, you should just do a better job of responding to his argument and bringing up the Columbine tragedy as somehow helping your point is absurd.

Let's get back to the real issues of this thread. Does anyone know what year the CoD became a majority black city?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the real point here is we must look at the trends,, the greater downtown area is rapidly turning young, white, and finacially stable. So how does that compair to wat happened to D.C 15 YEARS AGO?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4141
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No MBR the point I made with that is that Karl always talks abut how growing up in a single parent home will always result in a criminal/murderer/robber growing up...

So I cancel his bullshit with the fact that these two peons grew up relatively well off with BOTH parents in the home and killed a dozen people in one shot !(no pun intended). If it all starts in the home with two parents since Detroit has a high percentage of single parent homes then what happened there? THAT was my point

Karl

Post Number: 7506
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

".... Karl always talks abut how growing up in a single parent home will always result....."

Not true.

It all starts in the home - good and/or bad. Single parents & 2-parent homes have all turned out good and bad.

Detroit has both a high % of single parent homes and African American homes. accompanying a high crime rate. Bill Cosby addresses those issues well.

Odd how certain Detroiters are reactionary to the messenger - regardless of race - if there is any suggestion of upsetting the status quo. Sometimes it seems that the only "solution" certain Detroiters see as viable is "outside money"

Queensfinest

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_remix said "...the white population in Detroit is actually growing"

Can you or anyone else here provide the statistics? Is this just something you feel might be happening?
Please provide a link. Thanks.

Queensfinest

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, by "growing" population, I assume you mean an increase in numbers, for the white population.

Seems like after the trends over the last 50 years or so, an increase in Detroit's white population would be big news. Haven't seen anything on this so far so it's intriguing.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone "HONESTLY" tell me who consumes the drugs that fuel the wars that raise the crime rates that drive the negative sentiments about my city.

PLEASE

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5517
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't read through this except the first post, but Detroit is not getting more 'white'. In fact, the 2005 American Community Survey show it slowly getting more 'black' up to 85% or so, and that a measurable amount of those classfied as 'white' are actually Middle Easterners and hispanics. Detroit is slowly gaining back its 'foreign born' population, though.

So, no, the demographics aren't trending towards Detroit losing its black majority, or becoming more 'white', for decades barring some major back to the city movement by whites. The movement back downtown seems to have many people fooled. It's a tiny trickle, and its not an all-white movement, either.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 17, 2007)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to DetroitRising.com's neighborhood profiles Corktown is one of the only communities with a noticable white population and a non-black majority (of the 50% white population 25% is latino). http://detroitrising.com/corkt own.htm

from what I can tell according to this website the only neighborhoods with a sizable non-latino white population are Indian village at around 32%, East Riverfront (25%), and more nominal %s of ~20 at Midtown, Woodbridge, Downtown

I dont know how accurate those statistics are

(Message edited by apbest on May 17, 2007)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick look-up on American FactFinder finds that there are only 9 Census tracts in the entire city where non-hispanic whites makes up a majority, including in the far southwest (2 tracts), far northeast bordering the pointes (3 tracts), New Center (1 tract), and the far west in the Warrendale area (3 tracts). They make up 30 to 45% of the population in a few areas around those areas mentioned.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think the City of Detroit will lose its status as a majority black city. Pockets of Downtown and Midtown are certainly becoming more evenly balanced between races, which is interesting because most people in my neighborhood for example ( Lafayette Park) want that, many who have moved here from the burbs recently see the color balance as a major plus, I agree. Diversity is a major asset in the life experience. Downtown,Midtown and its neighborhoods I feel will be a very well blended area by 2010 at the latest. I do not believe the city neighborhoods will follow the same trend however. Until the Public school system becomes stable and respected you will not see white families moving in and black families are leaving for the same good reason, they want their kids to have a good education. Now there are certainly some very good teachers and a few well respected schools in the DPS but the overall system is not perceived in that manner at all. The neighborhood safety issue is another big problem. Downtown however, while not perfect by any means, seems to hold its own fairly well lately on that count.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just speculating, but I would guess that Detroit is bleeding lower class white residents faster than it is gaining upperclass white residents, which is why the stats say the city is getting blacker?

If the development boom is successful, this will change quickly, IMO.

Danny

Post Number: 5877
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill

You quoted that I dont think the City of Detroit will lose its status as a majority black city.

YES IT WILL!

Give it about 50 years and Detroit will turn itself from a majority black city to a ethnically diverse cool cities like Seattle, Virgina Beach and Austin with more lofts and condos and higher property rates.

Iheartthed,

You quoted that I'm just speculating, but I would guess that Detroit is bleeding lower class white residents faster than it is gaining upperclass white residents, which is why the stats say the city is getting blacker?

I say that the city is already been blacker since 1975 and its going to continue to blacker until after 2050 when mosty middle class black families continue to follow the white folks to the suburbs or any other U.S. cities. Then the po'blacks will follow them, too. Once they tried to come back to Detroit to stay. It's going to be hard to find a house, condo or apts. for the property values are too high. The same effect is happening right now in Washington DC.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2009, we would have added:
500 new condos in CBD, Book, Griswold, 1001 Woodward, Pick Fort $300,000-1.4 million

800 Riverfront East condos, $300.000-1 million
150 new residents in Brush Park
200 new residents to Woodbridge estates 11
350 new residents on Woodward cooridor(midtown)

the majority of the new residents moving to the greater downtown area is young, white, indian, middle eastern, asian and black. mid to high income, hightly educated individuals.
They will have world class hotels and entertainment venues at there disposal. this also includes great restaurants and bars all in walking distance. By 2009 we would have added many restaurants, clubs, and bars. More small businesses will fill in the gaps throught downtown to meet the needs of area residents; furniture stores, convienent stores, pet suppliy stores and coffee shops. This in itself will change the fabric of the greater downtown population. You say the white population is the city of detroit is not increasing, but guess what? The very small percentage of white people in Detroit is not decreasing. They live in corktown, Woodbridge, Indian village, Boston edison, riverfront and other neighborhoods that are on a rebound. they ain't leaving these areas and when these 100's of high-end condos and lofts officially open, this population will increase in numbers. Black middle class is still moving out, looking for "new housing",jobs and Walmarts in far off suburbs; canton, Sterling Heights, Brownstown, Royal Oak, Clinton township, Farmington Hills, Taylor. Creative artsy fartsy types with multy colored hair and tight bell bottoms from the 70's are finding lofts and condos around greater downtown. This had to have happened in other cities that have currently rebounded some 15, 20 years ago.

Danny

Post Number: 5880
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great comment Downtown_remix,

All of those requirements for a better cool Detroit takes ethnic people power and not by one majority race alone. Detroit is developing and the rest of the Coleman Young generation have to join Archer/King Kwame's bandwagon or be lost in the shadows.

Coleman Young's legacy is long gone so don't wait for his return. Get over it and move on with your lives. We Detroiters don't need to be in his stronghold or anybody else. Break away from the racial bickering and race cards and lets make Detroit an ambassador to the world.

(Message edited by danny on May 18, 2007)

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh your the famous Danny. They say on the forum that we must be related, i guess because we know the difference between Detroit 1990 and Detroit 2009. I couldnt have said it better myself

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5522
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who doesn't know the differences between the Detroit of the 1990s and today? I suspect most of us are old enough, so you two don't have a monopoly on that.

The small percentage of whites is getting smaller, again, if you take the time to look at the Census and 2005 American Community survey. The 'white' population went from 12.3% in 2000 to 11.1% in 2005. This shows that whites are still moving away faster than blacks. The white population loss has slowed greatly for the sole fact that there isn't much left, but please do try looking at the numbers.

The other interesting phenomenon is that Detroit's foreign born population (the lowest of any of the top 15 or so major cities, I believe) is finally starting to creep back up, and the hispanic and Asian populations are also starting to inch back up.

There are A LOT of interesting demographic dynamics happening in the city, at the current time, but none that will yield anything near a majority, or even plurarlity, of whites for the forseeable future, at least, not with the development that is occurring, now.

Danny

Post Number: 5887
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Lmichigan,

But what white folks are leaving Detroit? The older families or the younger families? Mostly the older white families that been around since the 1930s are moving out but the younger white empty nesters are quickly moving in. The percentage of whites in Detroit is decreasing but not very quickly. It would rebound about 25 to 50 years. White folks must have a key role in Detroit's business or they could LOSE the reputation or their image. They are the ones who founded, settle and developed Detroit before black-folks, Mexicans, Arabs and East Indians come and make it topsy turby, upsy daisy and around about inside out. So Detroit needs people power, soul power and love power and not black power, white power, Arab power, Mexican power, racial power or hate power. It's action NOT TALK and its needs solutions and empty promises.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5526
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm saying, though. In fact, you went and repeated some of what I said (i.e. the white population still decreasing but much more slowly). Barring some huge change (and one could happen) it will be 25 years or more, that we'll even have to ask ourselves the question demographic question about Detroit.

I know you make nothing but moral judgements about demographic changes (i.e. it being 'good' or 'bad'). I'm not, at the moment; I'm simply following the numbers. I tend to agree with your judgement (Detroit needs more people that care about it, period), but you don't need to try and talk over me like I'm disagreeing with you.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as word gets out that D E T R O I T is a hot, safe and strikingly beautiful place to live,
as soon as our Book Cadillac, Fort Shelby, and a built from scratch riverfront housing and shopping district graces the covers of city living magazines, and featured on episodes of HGTV,
as soon as the North End along with the other 6 neighborhoods getting fixed up and those amazing homes around Boston/Edison gets fill-in housing and nice retail, the perception of living in Detroit, (specifically 12-15 neighborhoods throughout the city) will change very rapidly.

We are literally in the planning stage of the city changing hands. As the diversity of races left the city some 40 years ago, they declared they would once return and reclaim a city once known to be the most beautiful city in America.

The white population thats still leaving the city have been here through the "war" that changed our fabric from a melting pot to a separatist region. There fed up, dont see any progress and will never return, but the population of different races moving in the city are from a passionate group of generation NEXTers. They weren't here through the "war".
2012 will be a huge time for the city.

Danny

Post Number: 5890
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,

If you believe that every last white-folks are moving out of Detroit until their population reaches 0% you have to be kidding. Older white families from the European immigrant era are almost long gone. But the younger white empty nesters are slowly coming back to Detroit to live somewhere in Downtown and midtown areas. The white population of Detroit will rebound by 2050 just the white population of Washington DC.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the population of different races in my apartment building (Trolley plaza), Kales, Woodward lofts, Merchant row, and various Harmony park lofts greektown lofts,capital park lofts has already made the shift. Middle Eastern couples, white girls, college jocks, trendy blacks, gay people are lookin for high-rise and loft living, art, entertainment and colleges. When more high end living spaces start to mix in with our existing crop of downtown housing, a breakthrough will begin

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit used to have mass transit, did it not? It didn't stop nor stem the cities decline.

Indeed, Detroit used to have a very good mass transit system, and the elimination of that transit system perfectly correlates with the decline of the city:

1890- Detroit has a population of 205,876

1892- The first electric streetcars in Detroit begin running.

1900- Detroit has a population of 285,704

1910- Detroit has a population of 465,766

1920- Detroit has a population of 993,678

1930- Detroit has a population of 1,568,662

1940- Detroit has a population of 1,623,452

1950- Detroit has a population of 1,849,568

1956- Streetcar service in Detroit is completely shut down.

1960- Detroit has a population of 1,670,144

1970- Detroit has a population of 1,511,482

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you do nothing but twists words. I never once implied that the white population would totally disappear. The only thing I've said time and time, again, that you can't seem to get through your head (possibly a learning disability for all I know, if nothing something more than that) is that all things considered, and barring some dynamic change (which could happen), that Detroit doesn't even have to ask itself about losing a black majority and then plurality for at least another decade or two.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 20, 2007)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel offended by the term "non-Hispanic whites"?

Why are pidgeon-holers denying Caucasians their cultural heritage? Shouldn't the terms be "Caucasians of (European or Middle Eastern) descent"?

And what about, say, Mexicans of Spanish heritage (a.k.a. Criollos)? What are they called? Is the US going to a government-sanctioned caste system, now? Well, let's not discriminate; let's pidgeon-hole everybody. How about "non-African blacks" or "non-Asian Filipinos"? It's just getting much too crazy.

Does anyone else feel likewise?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hispanic is a purely cultural term to recognize a sizeable and growing semi-cohesive minority group. It makes sense to me. Eventually, it will be changed just like all racial and ethnic categories have, over time. Until then, it makes sense to me.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to surf through a lot of these posts and have a comment or two.

Re: Whites.

When one disaggregates population change in Detroit a single demographic, race, is too narrow to accurately portray what is happening.

As many posts here and other threads indicate, to speak of "ALL" whites is to miss the truth.

One probably should speak of population age groups, e.g. 19 - 24, 25 - 29,... 65-74, etc. etc.

I suspect there will be increases in the white population in CERTAIN age groups (e.g., 19 - 24, 25 - 29, and maybe a few more).

There will be population decreases for certain other age groups.

Of course, we won't know that for certain until 2011 or 2012 when detailed 2010 Census data is available.

For those patient enough to wait, there could be some fascinating data for census tracks in say 2012. That will really show what is happening along the river front, CBD, Brush Park, around WSU, Corktown, etc. as Downtown Remix indicates.

I suspect census tracks for those areas will show big population gains, increase in household income, higher educational attainment, etc.

As noted, this 'back to the city' phenomenon is real and is happening in many cities such as D.C. and Detroit.

Michigan

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

erikd- Those statistics illustrate an interesting correlation. Now, we need to demonstrate the causality, if any. Is there any research that discusses the relationship? I think WSU or EMU or someone must have done some analysis of this and proposed a causal relationship for this.
It seems like the type of thing an urban planner would love to research and explain. If you find anything please share it. Again, that was good data, thanks.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to make a comment about Erikd's data which he presents.

My guess is that closing the streetcar system in '56 (I had an uncle who drove one and retired from it) is probably a spurious correlation to the decline in Detroit's population.

My guess is that 'white flight' was happening and that the streetcar closing just happened at the same point in time.

As suburbanization and 'white flight' was happening all over the country I'd guess the population shift would have happened anyway.

Hell, I could make a spurious correlation between the Iraqi war and sharp rises in stock valuations as the two happened at the same point in time.

(Message edited by emu_steve on May 20, 2007)

Michigan

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My gut reaction is to agree with you Emu_s. There is often a correlation with no causality. That is why it would be interesting to see if any research has been done to demonstrate that there is or is not a causal relationship here. Perhaps a relationship has been demonstrated. Or, Perhaps there was a tremendous decline in street car use that drove the city to cease the service. Perhaps it was done to preserve neighborhood segregation.
I don't know. But someone must have researched this.
I know that when St. Louis began building their light rail system, it was intended to loop and link the entire metro area with the airport. Staunch resistance from the wealthy white neighborhoods that did not want the "element" that might arrive on that light rail system have effectively killed that system. It now runs airport to down town and back. A financial disaster and service failure.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Michigan.

D.C.'s subway system had several interesting aspects which relate to your points.

There were 'issues' as a few areas (e.g., College Park) didn't want the subway fearing that crime would follow it. Georgetown didn't want all the increased folks overwhelming the neighborhood.

The 2nd is that the subway makes it possible for suburnanites to work in the city (as intended) and also makes it possible for those in the city to take the subway to the 'burbs where the jobs are. Many of these service workers do not have cars to get to their suburban jobs and there are few jobs in their neighborhoods.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord,
I lived in Motown for the first seventeen years of my life, so I'm checkingin/out.
I'm glad the passion for the city is still here, the civil tone, and the amazing facts brought to my attention.
I like to hang out with smart, passionate people.
Regards,
Koko

Bertz
Username: Bertz

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse the thread jack, but where is Rasputin? In the past he would have defiantly put his two cents in on this one. I don’t follow the forum like I used to so please excuse me if has already been explained in past threads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.