Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » E-Bound I-94 Woodward Exit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having ( another) Sr. moment. Is there an East-bound I-94 Woodward exit?
My 4 year old AAA map shows one, and I know there is a West-Bound Woodward exit, but I am having trouble visualizing an east-bound one. I guess I thought the first exit East of the Lodge on I-94 would be I-75. Maybe Woodward is there in between.
My neighbor thinks there is and you get off at what is called the Woodward exit, but it actually takes you directly to South-Bound John R. That would do.
Help is appreciated from anyone but jjaba who will undoubtedly ridicule me.
Thanks,

The Rock

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's for John R. It's actually a notable exit, as it has a vestigial bus loading lane that was never used.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting, i always wondered what that lane was for

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 18, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks, D-nerd. I appreciate your help. A vestigial bus loading lane gives me great pause, Sounds like something from Anthropology 101.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drat you all, now I have to go to my unabridged Webster's and look up "vestigial".

Professor (not of English) Scott

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5160
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For being the gateway into the Cultural Center, I really hope that one day the streets surrounding that exit will get cleaned up a bit. It's better than what it once was but still has a ways to go.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 915
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was 12 or 13, I was fascinated by a rooming house that had a second-story hole in it right at that exit. You could see into it like a dollhouse. What a sight!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, the area is actually pretty nice at John R and 94 as you exit their and proceed to the cultural district. The Hubbell Group has done many new condo/town home developments in that area. I don't know what more you could ask for.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5161
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, are we talking about the same exit? Sure once you head further down John R (Palmer at least), it's a little nicer but you still have to go past a few empty lawns and a burned out party store before you even get into something I would consider inviting.

So yeah, I could ask for more.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 917
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's block-by-block right now. Kirby looks good, with workmanlike in-fill, tasteful restorations, and lots of green in season. It kind of looks like I imagine old Detroit to have looked. But, yeah, closer to the freeway it's pretty early days yet.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the single story cinder block structure at the corner of the ramp and john R is NOT awe inspiring. a block down the S drive, at hendrie and beaubien, there is another wonderfully decrepid two-story, though that one is (suprisingly) occupied. kirby is nice, but the last building before the 75 service drive appears to have been recently opened up, at least the chevy astro (minus its wheels) resting next to it has been towed away...

the new construction in the area and the restorations on ferry are really nice looking though. the townhouses, north of ferry and east of beuabien aren't much to look at, but better than the empty blocks that preceeded them anyways

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 21, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.