Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Slow's Bar BQ.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going tonight for the first time in awhile...
What should I order?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BBQ

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...It's called "The Reason" on the menu. Mmm, hungry now.

Oh and a side of cohn bwehhhd. ;)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9216
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slowsbarbq.com

If you want to check your options before getting there. The beer list is much more difficult to choose from than the food menu.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9233
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be afraid to try their Macaroni & Cheese.

Also, if you're into good beers, they have a few of the Samuel Smith's on the menu...Taddy Porter is a good, rich, dark beer.

Haven't had a bad thing on their menu, get their earlier than usual to avoid their line!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I've ever heard mixed reviews on was the ribs, which reportedly were a little dry and tough (never had them personally).
I always get the BIG THREE, excellent. Also, if you've got a big hunger, the wings are phenomenal, dry-rubbed & smoked w/ your choice of sauce, and the mac & chez too.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find their corn bread disappointing. Perhaps it is more "authentic" but not nearly as good as Boston Market (I know you can't believe I'm comparing them, but I LOVE BoMa cornbread!)

The Mac and Cheese is damn good. I had the ribs 2x and thought they were pretty darn good, but I'm not a BBQ conniouseur (sp?).

I had a pulled sandwich once. If I'm not thinking of some other BBQ place I've been. Recall it being pretty darn good too.

Their extensive menu of sauces certainly makes all their stuff taste better....

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Brisket with NC Sauce

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go at peak time you will be in for a wait. That is not a bad thing, it allows you to try many of the beers.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows BBQ is one of the biggest things I miss after leaving Detroit. Can you guys open one in LA please?!!!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The apartment above slows is on the market right now and Im seriously considering it. I wonder if they'd deliver upstairs.

Reason on texas toast, apple bbq sauce, side of mac 'n cheese and an edmund fitz porter to wash it down.

Gannon

Post Number: 9236
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The smells will drive you mad.

I have enough trouble between Sala Thai and Roma Cafe...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for my $8, nothing beats The Genius.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn straight andylinn.

...on a kaiser with a side of waffle fries and a hennepin to wash it down

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't go wrong with the spicy cole slaw, tasty! The Yardbird is primo too, with the Jalapeno mustard bbq sauce....oh, what am I saying...it's all good. Chef Brian and the whole staff are primo, too.

Stromberg2, going to slows tomorrow.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions...

I ended up getting the BIG THREE with mac and cheese and mashed yams. I also got a belgian wheat beer that was good.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has the service improved recently? I have had a couple of profoundly bad service experiences there. So bad it has slid down quite a ways on my list of favorite places to eat.

And I always get the Yardbird-minus the NC Sauce. Need to leave more room for the apple BBQ sauce...

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to try this place soon! I go to Famous Dave's every week, but it seems Slow's has comparable or even better food the way you make it seem! And it's closer to home!

Mdoyle

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm really?! Im there almost once a week. Even when its super busy and i still usually get my food in at least 15 mins. Im waited on immediately at the bar and when im looking to be seated. It gets crammed in there most nights during dinner time. You might need to make your presence known more. I think its great that it gets busy. I heard they made will farrell waited 45 mins for a seat.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9218
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle - I may be full of it but I question Zimm. Seeing that Slows does not put any sauce on their food I question "I always get the Yardbird-minus the NC Sauce." They suggest the sauce but you never have to order it minus the sauce because the sauce does not come on the food.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mdoyle - I may be full of it but I question Zimm. Seeing that Slows does not put any sauce on their food I question "I always get the Yardbird-minus the NC Sauce." They suggest the sauce but you never have to order it minus the sauce because the sauce does not come on the food."

Jt1-
A low # of posts does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about. to quote their menu:
"The Yardbird $ 7.95
Applewood smoked, pulled chicken, sauteed mushrooms, cheddar & bacon with Slows Mustard Sauce."

I was wrong-it was the Mustard Sauce, not the NC Sauce. Either way, I ask them not to put it on. And yes, you were full of it.

And MDoyle, like you, I have had excellent service at the bar. The bartenders have never been a disappointment-anything but! My problem is that I have had poor service on the floor, and it's not related to the overall busyness of the resturant. To the contrary, the worst service I've had there was with the resturant half full. I've had waiters who were so clueless, they seemed like cooks pulled out of the kitchen because the waitstaff hadn't shown up. Things like never coming back to check on my long empty drink for the entire meal (where I've had to go the the bar myself with my empty glass to get a refill) or a 10+ minute wait after asking for my bill until I finally get it (again, having to go to the waitstand to ask for it again.)

And as I mentioned, it has only been a problem over the past 6-12 months. My service experiences were much better when they first opened. Of course, Jt1 wouldn't believe me because I hadn't posted when I ate there twice in Slow's 1st week...

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been down there since March; have they started outdoor seating & dining. I believe they have a side patio for outdoor seating, right?

Akoper
Username: Akoper

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either of the ribs and NC sauce. It's sublime - it's perfect.

(Hats off to chef Brian Perrone.)

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NC sauce is always added to the pulled pork--unless you request it without. It gives it a little kick, but doesn't overwhelm the flavor if you want to add another sauce to it. I'd recommend apple barbeque. Man, I'm getting hungry. Too bad I'm 290 miles away from Slows.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outdoor seating is available now. With patio furniture thats as unique as the inside. Ill be down there in about and hour and a half... Reason here I come. And Zimm Im sorry to hear about your poor experience. Im friends with some of the staff so that probably helps as far as service goes. When my drink gets low I usually just go up to the bar and have em refill it.

(Message edited by mdoyle on May 19, 2007)

(Message edited by mdoyle on May 19, 2007)

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JP's Revenge: Best goddamned ham sandwich ever. Oh my god.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, is LJ's Lounge or the Irish-American Club a good place to repair after a dinner at Slow's?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not the St. Louis ribs.

Pulled pork is good.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3529
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl: LJ's is ok, but the beer selection is much better at Slow's...There is also a bar several doors down from Slow's that will be opening soon.
I've been away for 5 months, and boy am I homesick.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto

What is the new bar a few doors down?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Barnesfoto for the info. Will be taking my family there next week for some BBQ when we are in town and wanted to check out some of the local spots.

(Message edited by quozl on May 21, 2007)

Mdoyle

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually was invited into the new bar. It's two doors down from slows next to the reality company. There were two people (man and woman) out painting the second story window trim yesterday and I asked what was up. They were really excited to tell me all about it. I now forget some of the details about the type of bar it was going to be (an afternoon at slows can erase a memory). I do however remember them being really enthusiastic about the original bar still being in really good shape. The rest of the place was gutted down to the brickwork, some initial framing was in on the ceiling. Apparently they had owned the place since '03 but were working hard to bring in enough startup and renovation money. The guy said 6 months but we'll see. It is great to see work going on though. I hope they were as happy as I was for their contribution to the neighborhood.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the guys from Slows involved or is it someone else?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone else, the guy has been working on the place for 4 years...

Gannon

Post Number: 9240
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I saw them outside with the ladder Saturday when I was hanging televisions at the Gaelic League.

Looked like they were deciding something by committee, then sending someone up the ladder. There were about seven or eight people at street level at one point.

Didn't look like it would be a good outcome, but when I walked to Slows for what I thought was an early dinner (5:30), looked like they had made progress.

I had to skip Slows because they were just WAY too busy, not even a single seat at the bar...dang. So, it'll be three in the afternoon today...it's good to be on flextime.

Delayed Gratification sucks, though.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyby had a grand night at Slows Saturday night. With three beautiful women in arm and downtown almost impassable.
Slows was the place to be.
Upon entering we were informed of a forty-five minute wait.
Perhaps a small gratuity slipped to the hostess might acquire a table for four a bit sooner.
A sip from the first of a few Dewar’s and water at the bar soon led to a call
“flyby … party of four”.

My three dates ordered:
Slows ribs,
two pulled pork sandwiches called the “Reason”
and flyby had the pulled pork dinner.
Food was excellent and the drinks hardy.

Total for the night including gratuities and valet parking $107.00
Another grand night in the Big D.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the wait is too long, just let the host know you want to place an order for carry out.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, They actually cut off the carry out if it's too crazy in there. If you are a regular, the bartender, lovely Nancy, will get you some carry out boxes.

Stromberg2, BBQ Fiend

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There for the first time last night. A little crowded (parked east of the Gaelic league). Got lucky...got seated by the front window right away. The baseball crowd left shortly after. Good food...My company had the pulled pork (highly recommend) good ribs, potato salad and mac and cheese. Will return!

Gannon

Post Number: 9279
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Kellyroad, welcome.

I rode my bike across town, and couldn't believe how busy Slows was...I cannot even go IN there when it is that packed!

Ended up hanging with the parking nazi behind the Gaelic League, watching all the folks who had to park east of there. Heh.

Cheers!

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmm, Slows....yummy....

Fasteddie
Username: Fasteddie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start with a Motor City Ghettoblaster beer. Then order the Split Pea & Okra Fritter appetizer. Then the Carolina Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, or the Catfish. The apple bbq sauce is best. I found the baked beans too spicy and watery, not like my mom,s (thick and sweet). Mac & cheese good. Good luck.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Slows? I am thinking of taking my father for his birthday and my sister for her H.S. graduation there monday.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan and 14th
http://slowsbarbq.com/directio ns.html

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders on Greenfield is pretty good. They smother the ribs in sauce. If you are from the suburbs and are too paranoid to go inside there is a drive thru but you have to order in advance. I go inside and walk up to the muthafuckin window to place MY order. A man walked up to me shook my hand and said "I wish more of you (whites) would come down here" he welcomed me. A lady chatted with me and gave me her number on another occasion.Anyways, great authentic soul food in a black owned restaurant-very unique flavor to the sauce.finger lickin fun.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, why do almost all of your posts feature an opportunity for you to crow about how evolved and forward-thinking you see yourself to be on race issues? If you were truly so evolved, and so above all that stuff, you wouldn't think about it all the fucking time.

Terryh

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I deal with the same racial fears and anxieties many other Americans deal with. Truth be told I am very cynical-feel like we have a long long way to go.....I very much agree with the criticisms of black American culture. I am actually more comfortable around people of African decent if I they are immigrants; middle class etc. Im not fake-so to speak. Encountered my share of immaturity and hostility from individual blacks but always ignore it and don't lower myself to their individual level...Ive encountered irritable rude high yellow pricks; loud mouth ghetto expletors etc.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't be whinin' when you get YOUR 'muthafuckin' ass kicked whiles bein' out your 'muthafuckin' element - you 'evolved and forward-thinking' folks crack me up!

Terryh

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just eat barbecue and chill out Jeffrey.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everybody in metro Detroit could do that, we'd be in part-time paradise.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think our seemingly-departed Village Idiot, Rasputin, has returned, and is using a pseudonym.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you talkin' about me?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. I think I might go Monday and check this place out. Thanks, Mdoyle.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankfully the food is outstanding because the service is the absolute PITS!!!.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has the service tanked recently? I had one bad experience but it was right after they opened. The next time it was fine. Haven't been in probably a year and a half....

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice article in the Freep today about the writer finding lots of chicken hair in her chicken wings....strange

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont park under the Stop sign in the side street just east of Slows--automatic $30 ticket, and the meter person was just sitting there waiting.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow's has a new wine list (their website still shows the old one). I had a beef enchilada appetiser last night with a Cotes du Rhone for $6 a glass. I drained the glass so fast I had to order another one to finish the plate with.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something weird is going on here. This is starting to sound like a little bit of a dumper. Bad service and CHICKEN HAIR in the wings?!

I can't imagne that is slows fault. They gotta buy the wings from a supplier, right?

Still, maybe they need a better quality supplier?

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the chicken hair. I used to cook at Slows, and some of the wings would have one or two of these feather remnants when they arrived. The wings are not small like most people are used to. They are way jumbo. Slows brines, rubs and smokes the wings in rather large volume (the place is always busy, as has been well noted on this forum). When I was there I would try to remove the little spires if I came across one or two on a wing, which is easier to do after they are smoked. I imagine that given the amount of work performed by the kitchen staff, and the speed at which said work must be performed on the line, this minor blemish is not often a priority. Anyway, people can remove them themselves--they are part of the skin anyway, and unless you eat like a caveman, you're probably going to avoid consuming all the skin on a large wing. It's the meat underneath that makes them great, and if they need a little prepping at the table before consuming, rest assured the added labor is no deterrent from the smoked poultry goodness underneath.

For this blogger to have sent her order back is ridiculous, and I sense she is the type who does so habitually for minor or invented reasons. Slows never had a shortage of guests who somehow felt entitled to extreme royal treatment simply because they were paying (a very reasonable price) for food. And then there were those who thought they were clever enough to get out of having to pay for their food.

I suppose the only thing sillier than this woman sending back her wings is not the child-like nickname she came up with for what naturally occurs on the animal she is about to eat, but that she deemed it notable enough to write a blog entry about it.

(Message edited by g-dub on June 12, 2007)

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate there a while back....I got the Ribs w/ the mac & cheese and sweet potatos. I left all bloated and full. Great food!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.