Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A beach on the East Detroit Riverfront « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read that Chicago has 30 BEACHES!!!!

I think a great addition to the Riverwalk, and the Tri-centennial Park, and the condo development would be the development of a beach along the east Detroit Riverfront.

IS THE DETROIT RIVER CLEAN AND FREE ENOUGH OF POLLUTION THAT A BEACH COULD BE BUILT ON THE RIVERFRONT??

If its not clean, how long would it take to clean up??

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are beaches on Belle Isle

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not too bad on the upper river. All the effluent seems to end up down before Lake Erie.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right offhand can't think of a section of shore that would naturally be beach friendly - everything's either seawall or rock

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Detroit Rivers' current is too strong; and/or the river is too narrow. But that would be a nice addition to the riverfront :-) <313>

Detroit313

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Detroit Rivers' current is too strong; and/or the river is too narrow. But that would be a nice addition to the riverfront :-) <313>

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, this has everything to do about the environment. Chicago is on a lake, Detroit on a fast moving river. The only suitable beach is where one already exists: on the channel between Belle Isle and the mainland. This isn't some "let's build a beach" option, it's far from that simple.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't we turn the Detroit River into a lake so we can have our beach, haha?

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 880
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does the concept of a "beach" always have to be synonymous with swimming?

A few years ago, some imaginative businessmen in Queens,NY came up with a great idea.

They ran the Long Island City, Queens stop for the New York Water Taxi, and they had a great plot of mostly-unused waterfront land on the East River, looking straight across to Midtown Manhattan. They brought a few hundred tons of sand up from the Jersey Shore, and created a beach right on the East River. There's a sea wall and fence to prevent people from going into the water (who wants to swim in the polluted-ass East River anyway).

They put in beach volleyball, picnic tables, beer & food stands, and now it's a popular summertime family hangout. Nothing like having a beer in your hand with sand between your toes.
http://www.watertaxibeach.com/

Why not try this on the Detroit River?
It's a simple idea that I think would be a sure-fire success.

Build it and they will come.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres a reason why the entire shore is seawall or armor stone. Naturally, the Detroit river is about 3 miles wide. When Detroit was first settled, both sides of the river were basically grassy swamps, similar to St. Johns marsh. this is due to the current of the river eroding the land on both sides and therefore keeping the water level up. Most of what we know as downtown is built on this swampy area and was over years filled in by garbage and infill. The ground under downtown is actually very unstable as a result, and opening any of the east riverfront open to the currents of the Detroit river is basically asking the river to wash away downtown.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor has beaches. Very nice, and I head there every summer.

They're quiet, litter free, and there are lifeguards that people actually listen to.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all What's wrong with the Belle Isle beach?

I don't think there is enough demand in the Detroit area for another beach. While there aren't many in the city doesn't mean we don't have a plethora of choices for beaches. If we needed more beaches our current beaches would be packed beyond usability.

The Detroit river is not the only body of water in the area. According to http://www.deq.state.mi.us/bea ch/public/default.aspx there are 169 public beaches in Oakland county alone. There are beaches at three of the metroparks and pools at more of them. There's a even a wave pool at Erie metropark. There are beaches at most of the small lakes throughout the area. There is a huge beach less than 40 minutes from downtown at Sterling state park on Lake Erie. The Detroit river has huge numbers of empty beaches on islands only accessable by boat.

Why try forcing a beach onto a body of water that doesn't readily want one when so many other natural beaches are available.

Just because you haven't counted them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Detroit313

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^wow^^^^^ Thankx <313>

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan has one of the largest coastlines of any state in the country... Why would Detroit need to create an artificial beach?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not realize all of the issues that prevent the Detroit River from having a beach.

I like CRASH_NYC's idea.

I just thought that a beach would enhance the overall experience of the East Riverfront - the Riverwalk, Carousel, Tri-Centennial Park, Fishing Piers, Public Marina, Residential Development, Future Retail Development, Dequindre Cut, A BEACH!!!!

It would be one more small reason to come/live downtown.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me an urban beach is counterintuitive. Most people in the Detroit area have a habit of separating their beach time from the location where they live or work. For that reason, I believe that there has been little demand for any additional beaches and that's why we have the ones that we do.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you wanted to do it, you could create a seawall that extends out and sorta encloses the beach from the river current. River flows around, water inside hardly moves at all.

I'd just go to belle isle, personally....

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't more people go to the Belle Isle Beach? Is the water polluted or what? I don't think I have ever been there. I've only gone to a beach at Kensington Metro Park and Lake Erie Metro Park, but I'd like to start going to a beach closer to home.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5535
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of people use it. There has been nothing wrong with the beach when I've been.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to watch hydroplane races from the Belle Isle beach. Properly managed, supervised and maintained, it would be a real gem!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.