Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Who let the dogs out? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone seen wild dogs roaming the streets?
Postal Service won't deliver mail in a three block area on the west side because of wild dogs are endangering carriers.
There are an estimated 300,000 dogs in Detroit. Pretty soon they'll be more dogs than people if this keeps up.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought postal carriers carried pepperspray for that purpose. Is that not true in Detroit?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they do. For some reason I had the impression these particular problem dogs were loose neighborhood dogs, not strays.

Strays in the city sometimes scare the hell out of me - was confronted by a big one a few months ago at the DIA - seemed really odd because I never expect them in busier walking places like that

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepper spray won't help if a few dogs gang up on you.
Plus you have to worry about which way the wind may be blowing etc.
I remember years ago there were fears of a possibility of rabies among wild dogs roaming the streets. Just what the city needs.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9217
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link please. The city has a lot of wild dogs but your number of 300K is absolute bs. I spoke with people at the humane society and they said that your numbers are ridiculous.

They also said they need volunteers if you are willing to help. I doubt you are.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he wrote 300K dogs, not 300K WILD dogs

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9219
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may change it. I just called my friends at the humane society. I am waiting on a call back.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few Detroit bow-wows:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /171/429773049_88fb9ba383_b.jp g

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are all strays bullet? If so at least one has a collar. They all had homes at one point in time.
Side note: I just had mine micro chipped today. The humane society has a coupon, that makes it 25 bucks instead of 46. Catch is that you have to have a scheduled appointment for other shots or at least have another reason 4 going.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the bright side, they keep the stray cat population to a minimum.:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.