Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit shuts off water to scofflaws « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time, I'm Jo Ann Watson will be outraged about this at a future council meeting.

Detroit shuts off water to scofflaws

City had tried amnesty program to collect $24M in delinquent bills; critics worry about the poor.

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Following a failed program that encouraged delinquent water and sewer customers to pay their late bills without penalty, the city has started shutting off water service to residents and businesses who owe a combined $24 million for this year alone.

"It's very heartless," said President John Riehl of AFSCME Local 207, which represents about 960 water department employees, some of whom are working overtime to shut off water service.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070519/METRO /705190361

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell the water department employees that they won't get paid until the deadbeats pay their bills.

I see Mr. Riehl's attitude changing very quickly shortly thereafter...

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are the people who genuinely cannot afford to pay their water bill and then there are the leeches who just don't pay because they know they will still have water even if they don't. I feel bad for the former, but this needs to be done. Why aren't the local Detroit churches helping out the legitimate people in need with their utility bills? I see many of these "preachers" wearing flashy clothes and driving some nice cars. Unfortunately, too many private charities in Detroit only exist to provide their "employees" with nice fat paychecks for doing absolutely nothing while needy people go unhelped.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... where the hell else in this country can u not pay your bill and still get water..?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know my own local utility (publically owned) administers a Pennies for Power program, where you can voluntarily have your bill rounded up to the nearest dollar to be put the change towards and individual or family from preventing an utilities shut-off. This is can only be used once per household, though, but you can always be put on a special payment program. I know that plenty of other communities have their own Pennies for Power programs, too.

As for churches not helping, how do you know they aren't, already? Really, that is so typical of you, wanting more to make some smart-assed point than actually research, anything.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 727
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for churches not helping, how do you know they aren't, already? Really, that is so typical of you, wanting more to make some smart-assed point than actually research, anything.

Feel free to prove me wrong with a link to a local Church program that assists low-income Detroit residents with their utility bills. Pony up that proof, big shot.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You made the claim, now you back up the ambitious claim like a big boy.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 19, 2007)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOn line/Giving+Opportunities+2259 /Adopt+A+Family+12207/Adopt+A+ Family+-+Information.htm

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utility companies shut off gas and electric all the time , crafty city dwellers will figure out how to get their water back .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.