Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crime in corktown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed much more crime in corktown recently. What can be done to stop this trend?

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on May 20, 2007)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop going to Corktown.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9237
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eyes open, know your neighbors, talk with them regularly and have their phone numbers...get involved with the newly-formed citizen patrol.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on doing that. In the past month I have had my garbage can stollen, and there was an attempt to break in my house the other day. I love corktown and know everyone on my block. I have heard rumors about the bagley trumbull market but nothing I can personally substantiate. Gannon Do you know when the next meeting is?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to be that just the fact that the area is going through gentrification lends to an increase in crime as basically there is more to steal.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many households are there in Corktown? The neighborhood is divided by freeways and industrial/warehouse type businesses that there can't be a serious crime problem.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good logic there, Royce.

Urbanoutdoors, the citizens council meets every month. I don't know when exactly the next meeting is. However, if you contact the Greater Corktown Development Corp, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

http://www.corktowndetroit.org /

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Resident council meets the first Tuesday of every month, 6:30pm at Spirit of Hope church, corner of Trumbull and MLK. All are welcome.

Gannon

Post Number: 9250
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

That depends upon the agreed upon definition of 'serious'.

When you have a haven of peace in the middle of relative chaos where the children can run around free...like the old days...and most everyone knows each other...any crime is shared by all.

North might be different, closer to that dangerous Woodbridge where you can't even walk your DOGS without packing...hell, my favorite barkeep had a break-in last week on Trumbull in Woodbridge. Dammit.

Yeah, when you've got a neighborhood happening, any and all crime is serious.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 825
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arm all law-abiding citizens and make it known that any attempts at violent crime will be met with deadly force.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing says safety like arming people who aren't properly trained at using weapons.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said they shouldn't be trained? But, even a novice with a gun at least has a chance at survival when they are facing an armed assailant.

Gannon

Post Number: 9253
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might not say 'safety', but is sure as hell stops saying 'easy target'.

Properly trained is like a bad haircut, only a few weeks away from the solution.

Arm 'em!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arm them with pepper spray? Okay.

A taser? I can live with that.

A pearl handle? I'd rather you not.

Leave the wild wild west back in the late 19th century where it belongs.

Gannon

Post Number: 9255
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown IS a historic district...

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed -

You have the wild west in Detroit now, except the bad guys have guns and most of the law abiding citizens don't. The status quo is not working. You may have to put with the occasional accidental shooting to reduce crime overall.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much about Woodbridge, is it really that bad crime wise??

I have talked with someone about a loft/condo under renovation on Trumbull, should I be concerned about the crime rate there?? I realize that there is crime, but I thought it wasn't that bad there.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have talked with someone about a loft/condo under renovation on Trumbull,

Depending on which project, the developer might be the criminal you are looking to avoid.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You have the wild west in Detroit now, except the bad guys have guns and most of the law abiding citizens don't. The status quo is not working. You may have to put with the occasional accidental shooting to reduce crime overall."

People have had guns in there homes for ages and it has done nothing to reduce violent crime. Just the same as making the city into a police state during the 80s and 90s did nothing to reduce the crime.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What rumors about the Bagley-Trumbull Market are we talking about?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime is not a big problem in Woodbridge. It has it's problems, but it's one of the safer sections of the city and getting better.

quote:

Arm all law-abiding citizens and make it known that any attempts at violent crime will be met with deadly force.

This logic is flawed on many levels. You're basically spouting off mindless NRA catch phrases. First off, arming every law-abiding citizen is impossible. There are a huge number of people who not only prefer not to carry a weapon but don't want to live in a society where it's required to be armed.

Second, not everyone should be armed. Children, mentally ill, the blind and host of other people in our society should not be armed or at least not without proper supervision. Common sense dictates that people like Seung-Hui Cho should not be walking around packing heat.

Third, if everybody isn't armed then you're still going to have a large part of the populace at a disadvantage against criminals with weapons.

Fourth, more people with guns does not mean more safety. If it did, Baghdad would be the safest city in the world. Compare the safety of places like Iraq to countries with firm gun control laws, say England, and ask yourself which one you want to live in.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seung-Hui Cho is a perfect example of why your logic is flawed. He ignored the law prohibiting guns on campus because thats what psycho criminals like him do. He may have been stopped if law abiding citizens were allowed to carry weapons. There are millions of cases where an armed citizen has repelled an attack.

I am not advocating forced weapon ownership or weapons for the mentally ill or blind.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on May 22, 2007)

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start a neighbourhood watch program.

We have to resign up, but in my neighbourhood they have a program where you can add your phone number(and I think email now) to a list, and if a crime happen in your hood, the police automatically let you know through a recorded phone message.

So if someone gets broken into, they will let you know what street it happened on and what to look out for, etc.

Its not a bad idea to have something like that.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =juLQBeZXmPU

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one don't and won't live where everyone is packing. Another great reason to move out of Detroit.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11582
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway,

For your entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =i8xKLnv8sVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3AA_dgRdDhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ne0FPzbLGb4

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bagley-Trumbull market rumors....
that upstairs is a whore house.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering buying a house in Corktown, but this thread makes me a bit weary. I am wondering how often break-ins occur. Can any one provide some sort of real estimate?

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived here for a few years. Nothing has happened to us except a bike was stolen a few years back. Overall it is a quite and safe place to live.
I heard of one home invasion last year where a women
was tied up and then robbed. I believe that was the worst thing that had happened in a while. Aside from the ordeal, I believe she was not physicly harmed.
hope this helps

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to hijack the thread Perfect.

And here we go again with the guns are the answer to everything.

I must have forgotten that there's NO crime in Texas, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, South Carolina and other gun-lovin' states.

Gannon

Post Number: 9265
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk,

My aunt and a few friends have lived there for years without incident.

This place is an oasis, drive slowly down Church St. one Saturday afternoon and catch the energy...it really is old school down there. People use their porches!

I would buy a house in the neighborhood in a minute...from the realty that also lives on the block, O'Connor's on Michigan Avenue next to Slows.

Dbc,
Nobody is saying that guns are the answer to everything, but they are a reasonable reply to one being pulled on you. Especially if you are any good at it.

It is a leap of logic to then assume gun ownership would eliminate all crime in those states...at the least!

Cheers!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to crime in Corktown, my comments about Woodbridge basically also apply here. It's one of the safer sections of the city and can be downright Mayberryish at times.

In regards to those three videos Sport: In video No. 1, the woman is very lucky the robber didn't actually have a gun. If that scumbag would have actually had one, the chances are she would have been shot since he was already poised to pull a trigger. Although many gun nuts see themselves as bad asses, situations like this rarely if ever play out like a Hollywood film script in real life: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SVJsa dM6FI&NR=1

Which is why the good guy in Sport's video No. 2 is an irresponsible, yet lucky, idiot. He basically uses that poor woman as a human shield so he can draw his gun. That robber could have easily pumped multiple rounds into both of them.

The reality is what happened in video No. 3 would have happened whether the store clerk would have had a gun or not. The bad guy got the jump on the clerk and there was no time for him to draw a weapon. This is the situation in most robberies. The bad guy is normally the one with the element of surprise and the advantage. So many gun advocates fantasize about a high noon-type show down when most of them go down like this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJFr8Q 1Tx10

Cheguevara
Username: Cheguevara

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.5 years in Corktown without incident.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Main problem with everyone packing is if you see something happening it might be hard to tell who's the victim. If the real victim shoots then they become the attacker! some people might not have second thoughts about shooting the person who just shot.

Then everyone ends up dead.

Corktown is where thousands of people used to always go for tiger games. They wouldn't let an area with a MLB stadium be crime ridden, And even though the Tigers moved the protection remains.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people that want to rob your shit... dont want to use their guns... they only do it if they feel that their mission is in danger.. and to intimidate.
Basically arming citizens would make your neighborhood alot less desirable for smash and grabs and car jackings. If your neighborhood is hard to rob... they will move to the next one... because your average thief doesnt want to get shot in your cadillac.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was the industrial buildings that kept it safe. Which is it?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the freeways.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Which is why the good guy in Sport's video No. 2 is an irresponsible, yet lucky, idiot. He basically uses that poor woman as a human shield so he can draw his gun. That robber could have easily pumped multiple rounds into both of them.

Actually the shooter in that video posted on an internet forum and explained that the angle from which the video was shot made it appear that the woman was closer to him than she actually was. In reality, she was not a "human shield" as you claim.

Besides, we've had two shootings involving CCW permit holders in Michigan in recent weeks and both were successes. In both instances, the bad guy died and the good guy was unharmed and no bystanders were hurt. Concealed Carry WORKS!

"Arming everyone" isn't the answer, but law-abiding citizens MUST have a legal means available to them to carry a gun if they meet the requirements and choose to do so. The statistics have proven that law-abiding citizens with carry permits post NO THREAT to general population, only to criminals.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing one of the incidents you're talking about is the one where the CCW guy in Detroit unloaded on his assailant. In reality, he was lucky the bad guy's gun wasn't loaded. I don't know about the other incident to which you refer. But I do remember an incident from earlier this year where a woman with a CCW from Macomb County I think unloaded on another driver in what cops called a fit of road rage.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually the shooter in that video...

quote:

In reality, he was lucky...

C'mon guys. I think the phrase you're looking for is "In all honesty." Especially when talking about CCW's.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a nice dog with a BIG BARK and everything will be okay

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.