Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Surprising... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine just visited Detroit for the first time and said he was actually amazed at how good the drivers here are!

He must have been here on a good day.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he was referring to our system of efficiency by which red lights are run on a regular basis in order to save time and conserve fuel...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is he from that the drivers are so bad that we look good?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to be so aggressive in some big cities. It is a lot nicer in the D

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? sorry, the worst drivers I ever came across time and time again are detroiters. Im sorry, its just th truth and Ive driven in almost every major city on the eastern seaboard.

I have never in my life come across a ruder bunch of motorists in my life.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dexter, i guess you haven't been to miami.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hated driving in Boston, NYC is just stupid, Chicago gives me a headache

D's easy

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say Chicago is worst than Detroit also.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Justin, in the last couple of days I've be angered quite frequently by drivers around town. I especially love when drivers cut you off while you're in the turn lane about to turn.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Making all the lights on 8 Mile from Gratiot to Woodward ROCKS!!

It used to be the best competition between me and the lights.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've even gotten as far as Southfield (Fwy.?)(my destination) on all greens. Oh yeah.

that was a while ago, but you guys probably still try to do that, right?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NY drivers are a lot more aggressive than Detroit. Detroiters drive a lot faster than most other areas, tho.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroiters I think have the fastest drivers in the country, as no one ever seems to do the speed limit and half the time ignore signals when making turns. That's why pedestrian here NEVER use the cross walk signals.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Making all the lights on 8 Mile from Gratiot to Woodward ROCKS!!"

It's impossible to make the Jefferson lights though. That's why half of them aren't working.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lilpup is right, the worst drivers are from Boston. There is a reason my friends from Portland, Maine call them "Massholes".

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst places to drive:

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Anywhere in Wisconsin
Boston
Atlanta

Detroit is a breeze in comparison.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst place by far is New York, but Chicago is a close second in my opinion every time I go there its drivers really annoy the hell out of me! Detroit is pretty laid back.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I commute on 696 then South on Telegraph daily, go to the airport or out to NOVI on a regular basis, and downtown Detroit at least once a week. In general I find drivers here to be relatively cooperative and relatively predictable compared to many other places--certainly in the top half of all metro areas I've lived in.

Drivers in New Orleans were the worst in my experience--free form, improvisational, taking all traffic signs/laws/lights as suggestions rather than rules, taking offense at someone trying to enter "their" lane, and engaging in a constant process of intyer-vehicle negotiation involving horns, brakes and hand/finger gestures. Down there, you never knew what was coming next.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to be objective or unbiased about something like this. Everyone probably thinks that the worst drivers are where they live.

That being said, I don't think Detroit necessarily has a reputation as a place full of bad drivers.

Massachusetts, as stated above, has a really poor reputation, as does Rhode Island.

I've read studies that say that Rhode Islanders are the worst drivers. The study takes into account the use or lack of use of turn signals, seat belts, and traffic law observance.

Google "Rhode Island Drivers" This stuff isn't hard to find.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the cities I've lived in, metro Atlanta has (or at least once had) the fastest drivers. On Atlanta's freeways, traffic permitting, the left lane routinely moved at a steady 90 mph at least into 2001-2002. They may have cracked down on speeders now.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst drivers by far in the metro Detroit area are in Hamtramck.

You've got a perfect storm of free form urban driving, new to the country foreign driving, been in the country too long elderly driving, not been in the world long enough youth driving etc.

Like the regularity of the sun setting in the west, every time I enter Hamtramck, I find a "near miss" awaiting me.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 923
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got pulled over in Hamtramck once ... for tossing a lit cigarette out of my window. I've done some crazy things in my car, I know I've crossed that line sometimes, but that was the only time I've been pulled over in H-town.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember one time in Hamtramck (or just across Carpenter in Detroit) I was driving down Conant and two drivers had stopped their cars completely to have a conversation, entirely blocking the flow of southbound traffic. I eventually waited for an opening and jumped into the northbound lane, but I've got to wonder how crazy you have to be to do something like that on a major street.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not crazy, bear. Stupid or else just completely unconcerned with everybody else in the world.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apart from the fact that Detroit drivers neglect to stop at red lights or stop signs they are tame and as Bear said, inconsiderate. Drivers in cities like Chicago, New York and Boston are just downright crazy, driving in a city like those requires a certain finesse not necessary in a Metro Detroit.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitstar
wisconsin?
im confused by this statement
there are barely any cities big enough to even drive through
my complaint is the reconstruction of the marquette interchange in milwaukee and maybe the one ways in town, but other than that i don't get your statement
other than that i have realized after living in detroit people do drive really slow in wi
please elaborate

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, he's from charleston, SC. not a big city at all. He just says people there drive like they have their eyes closed.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Apart from the fact that Detroit drivers neglect to stop at red lights or stop signs

honestly this seems on the decline - never saw it a lot to start with and haven't seen it at all lately (except the usual Michigan wide rolling stop at stop signs)

The problem driving in Wisconsin is getting out in the cornfields where there aren't any street or route signs

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.