Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rock festival? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there was a rock festival of equal proportion to the hoedown. I hate country music. Or a ska festival.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please! no more ska revivals! we have had enough! there is no reason!!!

that said whatever happened to MC2?

Jeduncan

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with Ska? Horns make music so much more interesting.

:-)

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats why i listen to jazz.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't a rock fest? I'd love to go as I am trying to become more aware of other "cultures". lol. But I stayed away from the hoe down, too many hee haws and harleys for me. And the traffic was terrible downtown last night.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Mountain Rock Festival in Farwell

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Hamtramck blowout? What about the Dally in the Alley?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IhearttheHoedown

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggested in the TOURISM IDEAS thread that it would be great to have a big festival either on Belle Isle that was somewhere along the lines of Lollapalooza. Although, other locations might work too.

It would be great for the city to have a big festival of national headlining acts come into town. It would probably fill up all the hotel space and really be a big economic boost for the city.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockin' On The Riverfront (GM Riverfront Plaza)might be your best bet that I know of.
Grand Funk Railroad on June 29
Asia on July 6
Marshall Crenshaw on July 13
The Guess Who on July 20
The Romantics on July 27
Eric Burdon and The Animals on Aug. 3
.38 Special on Aug. 10

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or a ska festival.

please look up the song "ska sucks" by propagandhi
as true today as the day it was written

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

please look up the song "ska sucks" by propagandhi
as true today as the day it was written

Did you ever hear original old ska from Jamaica?
It does not suck.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the context of the "Rock festival" title of this thread, i assumed he was refering to newer/punk ska, which is what that particular tune also references.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9245
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Security guy picking up a carry-out from Foran's during the Wings game yesterday said the Ho-down Saturday night was a nightmare!

Lotsa fights, people jumping and breaking barriers into the VIP seating area...and I heard more hootin' and hollerin' per square block on my drive through after the Detroit Film Center's VideoSport screening then ever! Who-down is always a curious weekend culture shock in the city.

He said it was one of the worst he'd ever seen.

Funny that, not long after he left, a commander of the police department came through to introduce himself and see if everything was alright.

Dude walked the entire CBD, checking out every restaurant and bar...in full parade dress.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ska does not suck. Listen to Westbound Train, a very good new ska band.

http://www.westboundsound.com/index2.html

(Message edited by oldredfordette on May 21, 2007)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ska can be done well and it can be done badly. An entire genre of music can't "suck." I generally don't like jazz, but I can still appreciate a truly excellent jazz artist simply for the quality of the music. I would never say that jazz "sucks," only that most of it isn't really to my taste. There were and are some excellent ska bands out there, and you're cheating yourself if you write them off as crap without ever having heard them.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone remember ska against racism at the palladium on gratiot back in 1997?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"anyone remember ska against racism at the palladium on gratiot back in 1997?"

ROSEVILLE? You're introducing ROSEVILLE into this discussion? Meh.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'd definitely qualify the Blowout as a topnotch rock festival. It's local, and local is good. Also, Warped Tour makes a pit-stop in downtown Detroit every year -- if you like the degenerating lineup of lame bands. But, if you like good ska, Grand Rapids' own Mustard Plug will be making their triumphant return there!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone remember the motorcity rock fest held right behind the majestic a few years ago? warped tour is another decent example, so isn't wasn't the snowjam (dunno if that one is happening again though)...apparently there is going to be some metal fest in or around the state theatre this summer with gwar headlining.

the best, even though it was out it wayne, was michiganfest, until the guy from sweep the leg johnny got up into the drop ceiling and fell out onto the crowd, ruining any chances of the fest to return there....'course that was just icing on the fact that the whole scene was starting to show cracks by that point

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry but that Rockin' On The Riverfront lineup fucking sucks.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall Crenshaw will be excellent, but as for the rest...but look who is sponsoring it. It could have been much, much worse.

Jeduncan

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, my mind drew a blank to the dally in the alley. I missed the blowout this year though. :-(

Please excuse my forgetful nature. lol

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you've never heard Steve Howe from Asia play a 12 string classical guitar, you've missed something.(He also has a PH.D in Classical Music)

Back in the early '90's, The original members of Asia were supposed to play at The Ritz on Gratiot. The placed was over booked. Only the lesser known keyboardist was the original member. Steve Howe showed up and prevented a riot.(Played well too).

Yeah yeah, moldy oldies, back when people made ORIGINAL music with skill, not sampling everyone else's stuff.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4th Street Fair
TasteFest-Cityfest

Not Rock, but worthy of advertising:
Detroit Festival of the Arts
Jazzin' on Jefferson

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganfest was bomb. I'll never understand how those kids put that together.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOEDOWN!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.