Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone catch the national NPR story on the Ambassador Bridge? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was on just a few minutes ago, and apparently there will be a second part tomorrow morning.

I think its nice to know a little more scrutiny might be put on moroun and his supporters after this story..

this link talks about the bridges history, but doesn't reflect the focus of the on air story http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=1026062 3

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

transcript of the story

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=1024108 8

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I heard it too (like there is anything else to listen to in the morning?) This should be a wake up call. For those who profess that a 9/11 will never happen again, or not in my backyard, think again. I've always thought there was something kinda fishy "under the bridge."

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I heard it. ( - :

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3538
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How nice of them to not simply rewrite press releases published by the Bridge Company's PR firm (like the slugs at Channel 2 recently did).

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's followup story is here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=1029881 6

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it, although I doubt that the bridge company did.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9259
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trolls don't like light.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three bridges, a tunnel and three ferries between southeast Michigan and southwestern Ontario:

1. Bridges: the single-span Ambassador and the twin-span from Port Huron to Sarnia. (Incidentally when the second span was built, not too many years ago, there was no question but that it would be right alongside the first.)

2. Tunnel: between Detroit and Windsor

3. Ferries: the truck ferry in southwest Detroit, the ferry from Algonac to Walpole Island, and the ferry from Marine City to Sombra.

Granted, if a terrorist was going to attack Detroit (which I can't imagine), it would be very disruptive to take out the Ambassador Bridge, but it wouldn't shut things down. It would take a lot of coordinated effort to totally keep 19 year olds from going to the Windsor clubs.

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit International Bridge Co. (Ambassador Bridge) is processing plans to build a toll-bridge from Harsens Island spanning the North Channel of the St.Clair to Algonac at about the same place the Ferry exists.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught it out here in the Pacific Northleft, and prompted a question to AIW, which he responded to by posting some pictures of the effect on Sandwich if the new bridge or "enhansements" go through. Scroll down past the Ford plant photos.

www.internationalmetropolis.co m

Thank You, Andrew.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.