Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ty Cobb's house in Woodbridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love baseball for the history and I love local history so I was wondering if anyone knew where Ty Cobb's house in Woodbridge was or if anyone has any other info about the Tigers before the Kaline era.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a house on Moross in Grosse Pointe that I was told was Ty CObb's house Hmmmmmmm?

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the house in Grosse Pointe was built by Ty Cobb in 1921. I believe he lived on woodbridge before that.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Woodbridge Tavern. Those were good times. I wonder if he drank there?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to the new pub someone had planned to build in Woodbridge. I recall them being on the forum for a little while.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks, Woodbridge Street (near the river) and the Woodbridge neighborhood (west of Wayne State) are two completely different areas. Which area are we talking about here? Just want to clarify.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. I cannot locate him in Michigan on the 1910, 1920, or 1930 census reports. There's a Tyrus R. Cobb in Georgia, but the age doesn't match with "the" Ty Cobb. Anyone know what his wife's name was? Maybe I can try that angle.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,

he is the Tyrus Cobb on the 1920 census in Richmond GA, wife, Charlie.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He had something to do with the house NW of the 10 mile and Southfield Rd intersection. It was behind the location of the where the golden mushroom was. It's a large brick house that predates the surrounding colonial tract development installed in the 50s and 60s. I read an article about it in the Southfield Eccentric sometime back that said something like he had the house constructed, but never lived there.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this link with a little bit of googling:
http://www.kimquiz.info/index. html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ty Cobb also lived in Boston-Edison, on Atkinson south of Voigt Park. Perhaps one of our Boston-Edison Forumers could give us the address. I assume he rented there, prior to moving to Commonwealth.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Chitaku....have you read Tom Stanton's books on baseball? His latest Ty and The Babe just came out! Check out Tom's website for details: http://www.tomstanton.com/

Keith
Username: Keith

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ty Cobb house in Woodbridge is on the west side of Commonwealth 2 houses north of Alexandrine. It is half of this duplex. Sounds like he got around.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it would seem buying / building / owning houses was an interest or even a hobby.

Fury13

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cobb had quite a bit of money. His baseball contracts were fat for those days, AND he held a lot of Coca-Cola stock.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As well as getting GM stock at the ground floor.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is the Tyrus Cobb on the 1920 census in Richmond GA, wife, Charlie.

ooops...right you are, Qdaddy77. Missed that one. I suspect Georgia was always his 'legal' place of residence.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but this Kim Stroud "realtor" is more brain-dead than the usual realtor-idiots.

"The style is Foursquare, which simply means it is a rectangular house with a boxy shape and a low-pitched hipped roof.."

Kim, baby, it's not a hipped roof, it's a gable roof - LOOK AT YOUR OWN PHOTO.

"The distinctive features in this example are the front porch with Doric columns stretching across the entire front of the house..."

Kimbo, would you know a Doric column if it bit you on your behind? And I don't think I've ever seen a column "stretch", at least not horizontally.

Forgive my rant; realtor-babble drives me crazy.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an interesting story from when Ty Cobb lived on Commonwealth. He was walking down Trumbull to the ball park one day when a guy with a gun tried to rob him. Tyrus took the gun away from him, and beat him to death with it. He played that night too.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My professor of Michigan History (Professor Hyde) at WSU said something about Ty Cobb living near WSU a few semesters ago. I don't remember where he said it was, but it wasn't in woodbridge.

I thought he said he lived near Soapy Williams' childhood house. But don't quote me, I'm certainly not an expert.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered about that house in Southfield. I had a friend who lived on the same street as the house, but I always took it as an unsubstantiated rumor.

*UPDATE*
Not sure if He ever lived there but he did own the house.

I found this on the Ron Rose Productions Site. I completely forgot about this little bit of post production trivia.

"The studio started out in baseball great Ty Cobb’s house in the neighborhood just northwest of 10 mile and Southfield roads. Being built in 1929, the old English Tudor home was actually kind of spooky…but definitely cool. In one huge room in the basement was a swimming pool. While it did not function as such, it made a great natural echo chamber. Digital echo or reverb was non-existent at this time (the early ‘70s) so this alone made us pretty unique. It wasn’t the only thing. Sure there were other studios at the time. None however, were as pretty, friendly or served cocktails. We were the first in the country to really cater to the client."

(Message edited by leland_palmer on May 31, 2007)

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived a couple doors down from Cobb's house on Commonwealth. It's a rental apt. now. Whoever lived there (a few years ago) always had this eerie red light on you could see through the doorway. Seance?

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the Ty Cobb house on Commonwealth was haunted. Anyone else? That would suck if an asshole like Ty Cobb was haunting your house.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch:

She is actually dead on about the definition of a Foursquare house. The roof is gabled but such a slight detail should hardly be of such drastic concern. The columns do S t r e t c h across the porch. Kind of like how you stretch your hubris all over this post.

Easy killer

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey,

She is even further wrong in her use of the term "foursquare". The term only applies to single-family houses (not side-by-side duplexes), as it defines a particular floor plan (four rooms at the four corners of the house). But such a slight detail is probably not of drastic concern to you.

J'adore realtor-babble.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if Ty Cobb owned a house in Woodbridge. However, I do know that Cobb once owned a house on Wayne State's campus, next door to the house where Michigan governor G. Mennen Williams was born. Both Cobb's and Williams' houses were on the south side of Merrick, which is now Williams Mall. Both houses were demolished, but they were located approximately where the DeRoy Auditorium is today.

Charles Hyde, a history prof at WSU, compiled a comprehensive history of Wayne's buildings and property. It's on file at the Reuther library (which is where I got my info.)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch

I didn't know you were Mr. Anal Retentive.

Sorry for entering into the vortex of your world.

Out

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so it might be easier to list the properties that Ty Cobb did not own.

I'm not surprised though at the amount of places he's traced to...he was the highest payed player in the game at the time.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a CVS at the NW corner of 10 and Southfield now? So it is behind that? I do know that there are a number of Tudor homes on the east side of 10 Mile as you travel north beyond 10 Mile and even beyond the expressway. They are visible off the road.

Fury13

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"J'adore realtor-babble."

Me too. It amazes me that most realtors believe that any two-story house is automatically a Colonial.

Patrick

Post Number: 4491
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it today. It is a large brown brick country Tudor with a slate roof. It has seen better days, but it is seventy years old. It still has the original roof and windows, but there is a 60's addition on the back of it. The surrounding area is run down a bit.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, you'll see that Tudor Style more in Lathrup Village, it is unusual to find it in Sfld. That particular neighborhood is where I went to Elementary school and it has at least two distinct development phases. I know a long time Southfield resident in his late 70s whose child hood home is still there on Goldwin. Then there's the cookie cutter colonial tract that went in their in the 60s.

Patrick

Post Number: 4493
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, on the other side of 10 Mile there is a school...McKinley??? Was that your school? It is a very neat Tudor design. In that neighborhood (south of 10) I found one older Tudor home. The rest were newer 60's colonials.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adler, the one with the Planetarium.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A unproven rumor is that Ty Cobb lived in Indian Village in a house on the west side of Seminole between Agnes and St. Paul.

There is no evidence in the City of Detroit directories, and I haven't checked telephone books at The Burton, since this is not that important to Indian Village history.

He may well have rented the house, which is why it would not necessarily show in the City Directories.

But, we did find the former Detroit Mayor and later Governor of Michigan and U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Frank Murphy rented a house in the same block c.1932 although this doens't apprear in the City Directory. But it does in the Michigan Bell telephone book.

Bob Cosgrove

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.