Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Riverfront Update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies if this has been covered before, but on my lunch break, I noticed that Atwater was being repaved!

Maybe not a big deal to some but for people, like myself, that traverse this road everyday it's a welcome sight. I had thought they were going to wait until the developments were put up (I can imagine all of the construction work that will be going on down there might put a strain on the condition of the road).

I tell ya' that road looked like a shark had taken a bite out of it.

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to hear. Probably part of the motivation was to make the street more driveable and area more decent looking in time for the grand opening of nearby Rivard Plaza (River Walk pavilion) and the River Days Festival.

Atwater will probably start getting a lot more use as people visit the different sections River Walk currently separated by the undeveloped Tricentennial State Park land.

Construction on the incomplete section of Tricentennial Park south of that stretch of Atwater is supposed to start this Summer, and probably @Water Lofts on the north side by Fall. Hopefully they can just re-do the top surface after all this construction is completed, and will wait until then to add more fragile streetscape components.

Related links:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/97962.html
http://www.detroitriverdays.co m/
http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/img_content/drc/DRFC_Compos ite_11x17_large.jpg

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprising as the City hadn't even ran a street sweeper down Atwater since the cement companies moved. The same piles of aggregate from 3 years ago are still on that road. Pathedic.

(Message edited by buddyinrichmond on May 23, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had scraped it sometime last week. When I was down there on Saturday, all of the old asphalt was gone.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasnt just Atwater. They are paving a lot of streets down there.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, I think an east section of Franklin too.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The delay in fixing Atwater may have been due to the uncertainty of surrounding plans. Earlier plans called for vacating parts of Atwater for the State Park.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4382
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the pre-Detroit Great Fire of 1805 days (before Judge Woodward came up with his street grid layout), there was no Jefferson or Atwater.

The old road that meandered somewhere near where Atwater is today, and followed along the river, was appropriately named "River Road".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.