Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cool Job Perks -- got them? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kimberchou
Username: Kimberchou

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doing some research for a story on metro Detroit / Detroit jobs with the best perks -- whether it be mystery trips and weekly manicures at Brogan and Partners (Detroit and Birmingham) or a very, very well-stocked snack room at the newly opened Google Adwords office (Ann Arbor)?

Do you have any cool perks to your job? if so, what are they, and where do you work?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't beat mine. Every day is Saturday. I'm retired.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right out the window-- directly out the window, so much that, when I walk into the men's room, the sight seems to fill the window-- a horizon with Tiger Stadium as the centerpiece. Old, gray, and wrinkled, but still my beautiful bride, who I fell in love with when we both were much younger.
It really doesn't count as a perk, but it pleases me.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an all-expenses-paid company car, including FREE gas!! I'm feeling very lucky now with the current gas prices. I work for an automotive supplier.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check this bitches
i get out at noon on fridays
beer and cake in the office on birthdays
jeans any day of the week
and gas is 2.85/gallon where i live
greenville, sc
top that-

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But it's in Greenville. And Woodruff Rd any time of the day is a whole lot worse than rush hour 75 ever could be. (I grew up there, I'm fully allowed to knock it) :-)

Having worked for a major computer game development company during the dot com boom in San Mateo, trendy feel good office perks are highly overrated.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 929
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy: I was in your Greenville, recently, for a week. One of the most miserable, annoying months of my life. You can have your cheese-whiz Greenville, and your picnic-job, too.
Check that, bitch.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the satelite office of the software company i interned at 6 years ago, we had beer in the fridge. at their HQ In downtown toronto), they had taps built into their rooftop deck.

Kimberchou

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine --

where was the satellite office?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

royal oak. it has since moved to troy i beleive, after the company was bought by a larger software company

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At my last job we wore whatever we wanted every day, had a Tiger's suite once a year, had an annual bowling tournament and an annual pool tournament, an awesome Christmas party, free tickets to all sorts of events. I won't say the name of the place, but you all probably know it.

But they didn't pay ya jack. Ah well. All icing and no cake!

Kimberchou

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you tell me the name of the Royal oak/Troy company?

thanks!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow and here I thought my free bus pass or parking for carpoolers was a great job perk!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks as if most everybody's perk around here is wasting time on the internet during work hours.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh SNAP!

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 Day paid vacation a year.
Free vacation travel (space available).
Free moving and storage for household goods when relocating.
Discounts at vacation resorts and recreation centers.
Tax free retail outlets and food stores.
Full clothing allowance.
Free meals or food allowance for non-availability.
Government housing or allowance and paid utilities for non-availability.
COLA for selected areas.
Free medical and dental for self and family.
Free glasses and eye exam, free eye surgery if needed.
Yearly pay rise.
Use of company vehicle (as needed).
Bonus for reenlisting and
A paid retirement starting at 20 years.
Housing allowance and paid utilities some times.
College assistance.
Bonus for reenlisting
Tax free pay.(depending on location)
Promotions.
Free certification and training.
Fun travel and adventure.

But I do not work in Detroit right now. (but positions are available)

Sorry!
(Message edited by 1st_sgt on May 25, 2007)

(Message edited by 1st_sgt on May 25, 2007)

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sign me up for the COLLAGE ASSISTANCE!

lately my collages just havent seemed to be going the way i wanted them to....

Johnlodge

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Collage assistance."

You cut, I'll paste.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangit Qdaddy, you had to steal my joke.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i liked yours better....looks like the sargent cut and pasted twice...or the Army gives you twice as much now...btw do you get to pick wich COLA you get? Pepsi, Coke, Faygo?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 'aven't had it in weeks!

Father: And, er, what job do you do?
Shabby: I clean out public lavatories.
Father: Is there promotion involved?
Shabby: Oh yeah, yeah. (produces handkerchief and cleans throat horribly into it) After five years they give me a brush... eurggha eurgh ... I'm sorry squire, I've gobbed on your carpet...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.