Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brush Park North « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a look at the foundations going in for Brush Park Village North.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2007/05/setting-foundations .html

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any renderings of Brush Park Village North available?

(Brush Park circa. 1991) Great pics! It's sad to see so many gems in Brush Park missing. If previous mayors had maintainance codes with teeth, many more historic homes could have been saved.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84:

http://www.hipcityliving.com/

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It looks like it will compliment the older architecture. I hope they don't go cheap on the facades.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1991 set of photos is really great, but also so sad. It's really a shame we've lost so many historic, beautiful structures.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Gentrification

When I have down by that area. A poor Black Detroit man came up to me and I asked a question. What do you think about Brush Park being gentrified with new homes?

He replied, "Soon all of Brush Park will good as new with no black folks running about. Is Midtown great or what? Now let's get rid of the Brewster Douglass projects and kick out the black folks. Let them relocate themselves to the outskirts of Detroit ghettohoods. The inner cities belong to those skinny white kids with their parents credit cards. This is their urban playground. Black folks in Detroit didn't reclaim any other vacant buildings and lots. ON NO NO!! They went to Southfield instead so let the white folks have it. Let them build their McMansions and lofts and condos. Raise the property value so the low-income folks don't back. A piece of Paradise Valley is lost. White folks are reclaiming their Detroit. So what we all going to do about it?
Give up Detroit and hit 8 Mile or move back if you have the white man's money. I lost my job and my home in Brush Park to those white folks 6 years ago and now I'm homeless. If Coleman Young was alive, he would give me a home. He give a home back in 1977. Right here in Brush Park and I've fixed it up top and bottom now my home is gone. Some white rich kid brought it as I came back to see what happen to it. Then this rich white kid came out and started to yell at and me saying ' Hey you N^&$#R! get out of my property before I call the police. I said tp him 'F*&^ you! That was mine and you have no right to take it from me.' and I have left. I'm homeless and nobody is this city is going to help find a place to live. "

I felt really sorry for the poor black homeless Detroit man who now lives under the freeway over pass in Lodge FWY.

(Message edited by danny on May 29, 2007)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that story is true.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While a story like that might be a bit sad (who wants to see someone become homeless?), that does not mean that gentrification is bad. Right now, one of Detroit's greatest governing problems is its lack of tax base. If the city can attract more middle and high income people, then there will be more money to help the city's poor.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting story. I believe alot of citizens feel this way. We are at the very beginning stage of gentrification.
Greater downtown (capital park,riverfront, breuster projects, bruster douglas projects, brush park mansions were full of homeless, woodbridge district, cass and Woodward cooridor, homeless shelters, soup kitchens and endless hookers, handicap crackheads, pimps, and a small percentage of market rate apts made up downtowns primary resident core. Fast forward 15 years, homeless shelters in Cass cooridor, all gone. These areas literally cleared out first, clearing the way for passionate people that love the city and wanna be apart of its comeback. Driving through Woodbridge, brush park, Campus M, Cadillac square, Cork town, Groundbreaking on riverfront condos, groundbreaking of market rate apts right on Woodward and on many of its connector streets. Even out "good Times" towers have converted to market rate senior citizen apts. This is the 1st step to recovery. out with the poor, in with market rate

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a decent amount of housing going in on a smallish plot. The question is what will become of the lot fronting Watson St., to the south of the alley behind this development? And jog my memory, please, because I haven't been through BP for a month or so...has Watson been converted back to a through street yet?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9296
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watson is through.

They are largely done with the infrastructure work, no streets closed that I'm aware of.

I'll wander through on my way to Woodward today and will post an update if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

Danny

Post Number: 5935
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57,

You can believe it or not but that's what the black homeless Detroit said and it come right from his heart. Detroit is changing and folks who living anywhere from the Detroit River to 8 Mile must join the Archer/ Kilpatrick bandwagon because the Coleman Young Era is long gone. Gentrification Detroit's ghettohoods is here, now and forever and its going to effect every resident who are living in those propose NEZ areas. New housing has sprung up like mushrooms and it's lured lots of hip cool skinny white kids. Starting with downtown, Midtown and problably 10 50 years from into the black communities with a starting population of 600,000+ and growing slowly and while more middle income black Detroiters seize control of most of the inner ring suburbs. So everyone watch the change and join in because if you all want a better Detroit and suburbs it takes action NOT TALK and BICKERING about it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gannon.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

question for Suburbia or anyone else familiar with HipCityLiving's greater plan for Brush Park...

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0601Det Dev06_01_070130.jpg

are the brownstones/rowhouses (partially visible in the top left of this pic) part of the plan? those would be so awesome and right on a prominent corner

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentrification is non-racial. It is open to all so those displaced folks may well have been displaced by someone of the same race. Some neighborhoods improve and others digress. Part of the motion of life. Game over!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentrification: not necessarily a racial issue.
Gentrification: bad for those that rent, good for those that own.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

danny,

grown men have the ability to do things For Them Selves too, ya know.

quote:

I'm homeless and nobody is this city is going to help find a place to live

Danny

Post Number: 5971
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey,

Not all of them.

Reverend Joel once preach in the Gigantic Lakeland Church and told the whole congregation to be someone's miracle to other people. Is that are we Christians meant to do? Is this is why God made us? To perform a spiritual and holy duty or to do our own thing. He did give us our FREE WILL and it would make our destiny and our fate.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to re-pose my previous question to refocus the thread from jacks

question for Suburbia or anyone else familiar with HipCityLiving's greater plan for Brush Park...

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0601Det Dev06_01_070130.jpg

are the brownstones/rowhouses (partially visible in the top left of this pic) part of the plan? those would be so awesome and right on a prominent corner

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm homeless and nobody is this city is going to help find a place to live

With the enormous number of vacant homes and properties in the city (probably at an all-time high), he probably doesn't need any help to find a place to live. There's probably easily more vacant homes than homeless in the city.

Suburbia
Username: Suburbia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest - Yes, those are part of the plan. There are 6 of those types of home on that immediate corner - 3 on Erskine and 3 on John R.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole "controversy" is stupid if you ask me. Complain for decades that the city is crumbling and has no money and blah blah blah, and when some money and interest finally starts moving in, complain about that too? Detroit is a big city, there are plenty of places in it to live. Guess what, my grandparents were pretty upset when their beautiful neighborhoods turned into f*#%ed up crime ridden ghettos and THEY felt forced to move out. So now things come full circle.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.