Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Panhandlers, murder and dissappointment in Toronto « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting to see that Toronto also has problems like Detroit and just about every other large city , too many people on this blog seem to think Motowns' issues are unique and like to bash the city for it. In May 29,2007 in the Toronto Globe and Mail "Toronto" section page A12 the articles are a) a popular 17 year old student in a Toronto school was killed, two fellow students are charged. Gangster mentality is prevalent in many city neighborhoods 2) Crackdown on homeless begging targets them,, panhandlers routinely steal beer, food and tips from sidewalk cafes, One Tim Hortons owner was slapped so hard it drew blood when she asked a panhandler to leave. and 3) Toronto doesnt even compare to Chicago anymore, The Toronto riverfront is depressing in comparison,parts of the city are unkept, city councillors could care less about important issues and the mayor is totally ineffective... Hmmm, sound familiar ??...Lets face it every city has major problems, Detroit certainly has its share but the grass is not always greener by any means.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read a couple of weeks ago that there have already been over 20 kids killed in Chicago this year. I found that astounding.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

Do you have any idea how many murders in Chicago in general this year?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago crime statistics online:
http://www.chicagocrime.org/ty pes/

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All major cities have crime, vacant buildings and economically blighted areas and such, but Detroit is unique in the fact that even the downtown has these characteristics...and before any of you clowns jump on me for calling downtown "blighted", just remember that all things are relative and compared to most other downtowns, Detroit has more vacant buildings, less shopping and more crime...

these are major contributors to Detroit's national image...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One Tim Hortons owner was slapped so hard it drew blood when she asked a panhandler to leave"

At least Tim Hortons is comfortable operating stores in Toronto. Apparently not so for Detroit.

"parts of the city are unkept"

No need to even respond to that one.

(Message edited by johnlodge on May 29, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you have any idea how many murders in Chicago in general this year?"

I don't. I got my information from the website of a Chicago local news station.

I did hear somewhere else that the murder rate is on the rise in many of the major cities that were considered "safer" (Boston, NYC and Chicago were the ones named, I believe). I don't have a link for that either and honestly don't remember which news source I read it.

(Message edited by iheartthed on May 29, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I went to Toronto a year ago the huge news was that someone was shot. One person dead, and the lady at the bridge crossing told me this when I told her I was going to Toronto. They are nowhere near Detroit in problems

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejebus - Detroit has one of the safest downtowns in the country http://www.tedconline.com/uplo ads/Downtown_Detroit_Crime_Stu dy_2006.pdf

Johnlodge

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there's nobody there to shoot.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Downtown Detroit is far more safer than most of its neighborhoods unfortunately. Stats show that ...and if one thinks downtown Toronto , Chicago , New York and other cities are without its major crime , your mistaken, the Eatons' Center random murder of an 18 year old girl shopping with her mother by gang members spraying bullets into the shopping crowd dispells that thought along with other murders, break ins and car thefts that occur regularily. If that event happened at the RenCen half of the people here would have said they give up on Detroit. I have had my car stolen twice at my other place in Toronto in the last four years. Chitaku, I am certainly not saying that Toronto is in the same shape as Detroit but Toronto is by no means the peaceful city you might think, I live there part time, Its a beautiful city in many parts of it but the crime can be quite severe at times, parents chopping their children up and throwing them in Lake Ontario along with other mentioned regular crimes seem to indicate that no matter where you live in large urban areas you have some major problems. Refer to the article I mentioned above, there is quite a list of gang murders in Toronto listed recently. As for vacant buildings we do definetly have a large inventory. Some of these comments never cease to amaze. eg.. Tim Hortons locating in Toronto and not Detroit Downtown, thats an odd comparison considering they have been in Toronto for 24 years, and only in the U.S. for several. There is also several chain establishments here downtown not in Toronto so the corelation is unusual at best. Some of the people here seem to believe that we have total ownership of the crime trophey. Just turn on a Chicago or Toronto News station and you will see otherwise. As for the unkept comment, that was the whole point, they complain as we do .

(Message edited by detroitBill on May 29, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare Toronto try and steal our thunder! We need to try harder if we are going to out shoot, out panhandle, and out unkempt our neighbors. This makes me so mad I’m gonna slap some one, and do some good ol' fashion murderin' right now! Comon’ Detroityesers, who’s with me!?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet if Detroit had a REAL Police presence downtown, those numbers would be a lot lower:

MANSLAUGHTER 1
MANSLAUGHTER, INVOLUNTARY, WITH VEHICLE 1
MURDER, 1ST DEGREE 3
RAPE 10
ROBBERY ARMED 93
ROBBERY ARMED / UDAA 11
ROBBERY NOT ARMED 69
ASSAULT, FELONIOUS 2
ASSAULT AND BATTERY 22
ASSAULT AND BATTERY - DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 6
ASSAULT WITH INTENT TO COMMIT MURDER 5
ASSAULT, FELONIOUS 119
ASSAULT, FELONIOUS - DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 22
MAYHEM 1
BURGLARY BUSINESS 1
BURGLARY OTHER 100
ENTER WITHOUT BREAKING, OTHERS 15
ENTERING WITHOUT BREAKING, DWELLING 29
HOME INVASION II 23
SIMPLE LARCENY $50 TO $200 11
SIMPLE LARCENY UNDER $50 166
LARCENY FROM BUILDING, $50 TO $200 230
LARCENY FROM PERSON UNDER $50 81
LARCENY FROM VEHICLE - STEAL CERTAIN ACCES 590
LARCENY, GRAND, OVER $200 1
Motor Vehicle Theft UDAA 413

Johnlodge

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tim Hortons locating in Toronto and not Detroit Downtown, thats an odd comparison considering they have been in Toronto for 24 years, and only in the U.S. for several."

Thats not REALLY my comparison though, considering after only "several" years, Tim Hortons is in:

Warren
Lincoln Park
Ferndale
Southgate
Taylor
Oak Park
Dearborn
Royal Oak
Roseville
St. Clair Shores
Madison Heights
Redford
Southfield
Livonia
Garden City
Trenton
Sterling Heights
Romulus
Clinton Twp
Canton
Northville
Plymouth
Utica
Pontiac
Macomb......AND MORE

But NOT Detroit.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived in Toronto for the past three years (and in Windsor for the 27 years before that) I can assure you there is no comparison between Toronto and Detroit in terms of crime. In fact, there's little comparison between the two cities at all. For instance, in Toronto, the MCS would have been transformed into lofts/condos at least 15 years ago.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're exaggerating a little bit, as there was no loft condo boom in 1987, in any city. I say boom purposely, as there were certainly lofts being lived in in the late 80s, but I doubt you would have seen a rehab on the scale of the MCS.

ANYWAYS

Yes, there have been a number of murders in Chicago this year. I got in a fight with a drunk last week that almost came to blows. Was he homeless? No, he was a Wrigley drunkard. There are disorderly people in every city. Toronto and Chicago, right or not, are afforded a bit of a free pass because the bad more easily blends into the good there. Again, for better or worse, correct or not.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thejebus - Detroit has one of the safest downtowns in the country

quote:

Yeah, there's nobody there to shoot.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIN G!

And they've got some interesting categories: burglary business? Looking like you're preparing to burglar something, I guess. Mayhem? Damn, someone lost an eyeball or a hand or something.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has Starbucks... who cares about Tim Horton's?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks -- I'd rather eat burnt toast. Or drink a beverage made out of burnt toast.

Meeting in the Starbucks Corporate office:

"We can save money by buying lower-grade beans."

"If we roast them extra-dark, no one will be able to tell"

"we can run ads touting our new roast as the 'ideal roast'"

"Americans don't know any better, they will just think that's how strong coffee should taste"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rb336 is onto us. Increase the amount of crack per coffee bag before others break free of the addiction."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.