Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Thieves/Scrappers and their Sconces « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I have been halfheartedly looking for a house in Detroit's historic 'hoods for a while. I look at properties online and those that interest me, I end up visiting on my own to take a quick look around the perimeter of these house.

There have been a house in Boston-Edison, Virginia Park, and Russell Woods where the front or side door HAS BEEN WIDE OPEN!! These houses have been broken into a stripped of their sconces, light fixtures, and old-fashioned door knobs.

My question to the people is this: TO WHOM ARE THESE THIEVES/SCRAPPERS SELLING THESE STOLEN THINGS things?????

Don't these people who buy these antique fixtures know that they have most likely been stolen???? Alot of those fixtures are exquisitely detailed, quite valuable, and filled with character, so it would be strange that a random homeowner would all of sudden want to get rid of them and sell them off.

SO WHO EXACTLY IS BUYING THESE THINGS?!?!? Are they antique shops? Scrap metal yards??

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few antique shops who cater to these thieves and take their wares off their hands. Check out the Hubbard Farms forums, they've identified at least one of these fellas there.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ebay..

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some are people restoring their own homes with these parts, its canabalism at its worst. It's dirty architectual salvage.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5937
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks don't care about sacred things. Most of them believe that money is GOD and GOD is money.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been an ongoing problem; there have been threads about it in the past, but the glut of empty homes and unscrupulous people has been on the upswing. On top of that, home improvement shows have popularized old house renovation.
While a few items may show up locally, I'd guess that lots of the stuff gets bought by guys who don't even have shops; they simply load up truckloads of the stuff and ship it off to places down south where it gets auctioned off.
I know a couple guys who buy stuff legitimately and take it to a giant auction in Indiana.
Like any business field, there are plenty of good folks who buy stuff carefully, then there are vultures who don't question where things are from or even tip off their "suppliers" about vulnerable houses.
Friends live next to a house in Hubbard Farms that was sitting empty, but alarmed. The thieves kicked in a door and made off with a carved cherry mantle and a couple of irreplaceable stained glass windows in 15 minutes, knowing full well that the cops were not going to show up for at least half an hour.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of it is scrappers who sell it to recycling places..a lot non-ferrous metals carry a hefty price tag..If you go down the road and see a house that has half the aluminium siding torn off, it was most likely scrappers. They are becoming quite brazen..taking not only scap from you trash, but right off your house as well!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video cameras....Video cameras...Video cameras. Tougher penalties for architectural theft...which should be treated as a personal attack on the ambiance, culture and history of the city, as well as theft, B&E, etc.

As for cameras, I've got one for 99 dollars aimed right out my front window and another one trained on THAT one. I'm no big-brother type, but that's a defense attorney-proof way to nail these leeches.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.