Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Who Paid for This??? The City? Kwame? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Previously working in campaign politics, I am well aware of the questionable expenses that candidates and their campaign staffs make, and officials once elected, continuing the trend. To say the least, this has left me jaded and unwilling in many cases to give to candidates myself and has caused a regular question/suspicion of elected officials.

This does not irritate me more than back home, when I see stuff like this being done in a cash strapped city. It makes you wonder; who paid for this? Who paid for the mayor and who paid for his entourage? Contrary to many beliefs, including people on this board, an elected position is not a license of abuse your power, use your position as a personal piggy bank and fleece your constituents. It is our responsibility as citizens and voters to question our “leaders” and ask if their ethics are in line. However, a complacency for this type of behaviour is commonplace in the city of Detroit and scandals are nothing new for elected officials who seem to be consistently getting re-elected. So, what about this case? Is this money Kwame shelled out of his own pocket? Or is this another expense on the city credit card? I am sorry, but this is not a “perk” of the job, this is taking advantage of his position if these people did charge it on the city.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070530/SPO RTS03/70530037&imw=Y

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for Christ sakes lay off will ya! Can't a man (regardless of him being a mayor or not) go out of town to a game a few hours away? This is a stupid thread...another bashing. Two years to election is this starting already?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point is, the city's troubles should be more pressing than an out of state basketball GAME!!!

Does he ever even have political thoughts?

Hey did you see Bloomberg and Daley hangin @ Fenway last night. That was dope!

I don't think so Tim.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jesus...here we go. Where is livernoisyard and thejesus. Any second now.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll chime in:

I am neither a fan nor a supporter of P. Diddy, AKA Kilpatrick.

This is trifle to me, damn how much can a basketball game, in Cleveland of all places, cost?

It also takes away from the real issues that this administration has been questioned about.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What TKelly fails to realize is that the Cavaliers are owned by Dan Gilbert of Quicken Loans...yeah, that guy...the one being lured downtown

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, nice point Lilpup.

"Does he ever even have political thoughts?" - Bussey

Looks like it!

(Message edited by johnlodge on May 31, 2007)

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gosh, it almost makes you think that the Detroit pistons were playing in that game! wait, they were??

besides, how much mayoring can you really do at night?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the mayor would be up in Mackinac all week. He's on the agenda for a Friday afternoon session.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh Jesus...here we go. Where is livernoisyard and thejesus. Any second now"

wtf? how did I get dragged into this?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought the mayor would be up in Mackinac all week. He's on the agenda for a Friday afternoon session.

Why in the world would he have been in Mackinac all week when the conference started yesterday?

(Message edited by susanarosa on May 31, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9236
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why in the world would he have been in Mackinac all week when the conference started yesterday?

Logic isn't required when making accusations against the mayor.

I heard KK just had McDonalds for breakfast. I hope we file a FOIA request to find out if he paid or if the city paid.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I heard KK just had McDonalds for breakfast. I hope we file a FOIA request to find out if he paid or if the city paid."

Oh! I heard he used city water on his separate, but related trip to the toilet afterwards. Better alert the burbs to file a suit to get their share of the money spent back!

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it is fun!

Where would you rather be: Mackinac Island or Cleveland?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because it is fun!

Where would you rather be: Mackinac Island or Cleveland?

Then all ya'll would be complaining about his being in Mackinac and spending all that money on a room at the Grand Hotel for those extra days.

I don't even like KK, but please...

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the guy takes a shit, but has to flush twice - causing the taxpayer to fund the extra waste of water - will there be a hysterical rant to go along with the outrage?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a problem with this.

I detested KK in his first term. It seemed a game to him. I must say I'm really warming up to the guy. Sure he does dumb stuff (what big city mayor doesn't?), but it seems he is now really getting into the swing of this job and taking off with it. Plus these dumb things like the Navigator don't seem to be happening so much (or they're just better covered up).

I also love Da Mayor (Daley). A lot of Chicagoans do (did, in my case). But to act like this guy is a whole lot better on extra expenses than Kwame is is a load of baloney. Daley is pretty filthy in the way he deals with a lot of things, and has his hands in a lot of pockets. Every once in awhile something comes out (hired truck scandal), but for some reason nothing seems to stick and Chicagoans still love the guy. Why? BECAUSE HE GETS SHXT DONE. There's no BS in Chicago politics, he rules with an iron fist, and people like it because he can make decisions quickly, and usually they're for the betterment of the city. Its amazing what will get overlooked when you do your primary job extrememly well.

If Kwame wasn't doing anything good for this city, then maybe we have problems. However, I think he is really starting to do an exceptional job with what he has to work with, and thus I'm willing to overlook some other side spending/trips, etc. Its all about getting the job done.

If I had one wish, it might be that Kwame (and Detroit residents) would dream a little bigger. Daley has transformed Chicago from just another plus-size Cleveland or Detroit into a truly world-class city. He dreams (and is doing) to have a city that is green, beautiful, and environmentally responsible. They dream to host the Olympics. They dream to create amazing public spaces. They want to create the most bicycle friendly city in the US. And you know what? They actually do a lot of it. And the people get behind it. Sorta self-fufilling in a way. Chicago is not perfect, they do have a lot of problems, as Detroit has, but they also seem to have the brawn and desire to dream big and make those things happen. Detroit could use a bit of that :-)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Logic isn't required when making accusations against the mayor.

I heard KK just had McDonalds for breakfast. I hope we file a FOIA request to find out if he paid or if the city paid."

You must expect though that when you abuse a privilege, anything you do that 's genuinely innocent will get scrutinized...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If the guy takes a shit, but has to flush twice - causing the taxpayer to fund the extra waste of water - will there be a hysterical rant to go along with the outrage?"

Will Steve Wilson and Ray Sayah have the footage to back the accusation?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus: You inquired above why you got dragged into this. Answer: It's your duty.

I agree w/ your post above.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9371
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all crack me up.

Jerome, you rock. I like that, dream big.

Here? The crabs in the pot keep pulling the adventurous, able, willing, dreaming ones from climbing out and escaping from certain death!

Why? Because it is warm, wet, comfortable, and heck...everyone is there, why would you WANT any better?!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me it's no big deal he went to a basketball game.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4174
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know right Eric....

Bussey

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Quality of Life
Personal crime risk
(100 is national average, lower is better) 432
Property crime risk
(100 is national average, lower is better) 316

Detroit People
Population
(town and surrounding area) 862,195
Population change over time
(increase since 1990) -10.28%
Median age 31

The median household income in the city was $29,526, and the median income for a family was $33,853. Males had a median income of $33,381 versus $26,749 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,717. 26.1 percent of the population and 21.7 percent of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 34.5 percent of those under the age of 18 and 18.6 percent of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.

I really don't understand how people can honestly support this man.

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope he did not hit any of his bodyguards with that microphone he chucked at that damn reporter. you cant pay per view that kind of press!

If you do not like the job he is doing, stop voting him in.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm sure if he tried to lift city residents out of poverty by putting them all on the payroll he'd catch sh*t for that, too.

Bussey

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes" - Stoney

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sure if his budget were as big as his dreams for a greater city he could put all the city residents on the payroll. :-)

but you have to play with the cards you have up your sleeve.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares. Just because he's a politician doesn't mean that we should be pissed about him going to the game. besides, if I had the means, I would have gone too.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the intention of the post was NOT irritation over him going to a basketball game, it was questioning who paid for that game! And not just who paid for him, but who paid for his entourage? I don’t care if he went to a basketball game, however, it would irritate me if he took his whole crew there on city money….He can go to all the basketball games he wants and go with whoever he wants as long as its out of his own pocket.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.