Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bullets Old Photo 3 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We may not be able to nail down this location with so few clues. But, while looking through other slides from this collection I am thinking eastside. I think this is 56packmans' Pop.
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E005.jpg?t=1180692673

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, ani't my pop, but the guy in the picture has a 1946-'48 Plymouth, and he was probably very happy to have such a new car during that period when new cars were scarce and there were more cash-ready buyers than cars--imagine that!

56Packman--west side (my pops had Fords then)

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of Fordham street s of Gratiot.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to say Harper, between Houston-Whittier and Outer Drive.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44, you may be on to something. I have more slides to sort, and from what I can tell, one of the persons in the many photos has a home on Devonshire and King Richard, now I-94. So the Harper guess might be better then we think. I will have to investigate the Fordham guess with a drive by. I agree with you 56packman, he indeed looks proud of that Plymouth. I have a lot of snaps with these types of poses; car owner mugging with his steed (I'll post them some time if you like). Another thing I have noticed 56packman, no matter how many autos are in a shot, you never see one import during this time period! I will follow up this post as I uncover more...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were very few imported cars during that era. You might have seen a British Anglia, MG, or Jaguar... and VW started coming to the States in '49, I believe.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet--no, you don't see imports. By the early 50's you might see a MG TC, a Jag XK120 if they had money, or a Mercedes 220 if they really had money, but rarely. What you saw instead were independents--Kaiser/Fraizer, Willys, Studebaker, Nash, Hudson and Packard.
All of those brands will be celebrated this sunday in Ypsi as the Walter P. Chrysler museum sponsors the Orphan car show-9:00AM on.
Y'all come

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the skinny on the Museum 56packman. You obviously love the automobile.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather had a '37 Willys, a '46 Nash, and a '52 Henry J before he got a snazzy '57 Plymouth hardtop. Seems he favored the independents.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived across from Dominican HS and I have to say it does have a familiar feel to me. Im going to say Courville and King Richard.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 554
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Imperfectly. Any chance you can have a look in that area the next time you walk your pit bull?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also thinking NE side. It looks like the houses just north of East English Village, but we have to pinpoint a spot where you have a residential street paralleling a commercial strip, as evidenced by the way we see the back-sides of stores behind the backyards.

Meuse St. (near corner of Cadieux and Morang)?
Harvard St. just north of the Ford Freeway?

There's an outside chance that could be Gratiot behind the houses, so I couldn't rule out most of the streets hitting Gratiot between Houston-Whittier and 7-mile.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 02, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Evanston Street west of Berkshire (with Harper Ave. to the south)???

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said lived as in past tense? And well actually a pit bull killed our cat when I lived over there on Mckinney. Not relevant. sorry. Ummmm those buildings in the background kind of remind me of a few of the stores and such that are on Whittier, and you would be able to see them from that location. (courville and king richard that is)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be able to see them, but they'd be much further from Courville than they are from the street in the picture.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Presently I am hole up in a hotel room for the week end. I have my box of slides and projector with me. I am going to go through some more of these slides, as I am certain I have a shot of the commercial strip in the photo. It will be a while before I get them transferred, but I will let you know if something turns up before then. Also, I am going to drive the neighborhood(s) that has been suggested above, when I get back. Thanks for the keen eye all.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might fit, but I dunno...
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/FH0000 12.jpg?t=1181094119
This comes from the same set of slides.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.