Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Beatles in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's, I found a couple fun Detroit related beatles images. Anybody see them at the Olympia?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eva coosy evy other way, eva coosy evy other way, eva coosy evy other way...... all you hardcore Beatles fans will know what that is from

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepper fade out

Johnlodge

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn me on, dead man.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upon arriving in America:

REPORTER: "In Detroit, there's people handing out car stickers saying, 'Stamp Out The Beatles.'"

PAUL: "Yeah well... first of all, we're bringing out a Stamp Out Detroit campaign."

(laughter)

Q: "What about the Stamp Out The Beatles campaign?"

JOHN: "What about it?"

RINGO: "How big are they?"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom was at that show. She said it was the worst concert she ever went to. The screams of all the girls drowned out the band.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that a Beatles tribute band will soon play at Joe Louis Arena.

For those who couldn't make the scene at Olympia back in the '60s, you know...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My mom was at that show. She said it was the worst concert she ever went to. The screams of all the girls drowned out the band."

That's one of the reasons they stopped doing shows altogether. Back then, they only had 30 watt amps! My practice amp is 30 watts. They couldn't hear their own playing over the sound of the screaming.

But that's what drove them into the studio, allowing them to do so much more with the songs than they would have if they had all meant to have been played live on stage, and to experiment with so many breakthrough recording techniques.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I looked at the Ticket. She was at Olympia in 64 the first time they were in Detroit. that ticket was from 66.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw them .......'66 Olympia...matinee show....home by 5p and riding my bike around the neighborhood.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Beatles were around today, $5.50 get you a beer at their concert.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't at that show, El_jimbo, but I do remember a lot of girls that screaming at me. Still do :-(

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge: I believe that reporter was Lee Alan. I have a 45 of him interviewing the Beatles and I remember some similar dialog. The interview was done in Hawaii. I believe Lee's book also discusses how that whole interview came about.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom went to the show in '66 with a bunch of her girl friends. She said the screaming was so loud she couldn't hear the band at all, but she still had tons of fun seeing the Fabs.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765
quote:

Pepper fade out

WRONG ... "We'll f*uck you like superman"

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No but my two sisters did in 1965. My dad took them to the Olympia on a bus and waited for them while they were there at Northwestern's ball field. He said he could hear the girls screaming form there. My sisters brought home some smashed jellybeans they said John Lennon stepped on-their girlfriends swooned over those.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have been there if I could have climbed from my crib without injury. I recall trying to tie several diapers together for my escape, sadly I was unsuccessful and hit the bottle pretty hard that night. Love the Beatles, always.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eric check your dates; the beatles only played detroit in 64 and 66

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody posted some Youtube 8mm footage of the Beatles in Detroit a while back...

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's see I was ten so that made it 1966-the matinee.

"eric check your dates; the beatles only played detroit in 64 and 66"
I stand corrected but my dad did the girls screaming & they DID bring home jellybeans
smudged & smashed with dirt they swore John stepped on!
Another tidbit-being he was white he said several folks passing by did double takes when they saw him sitting on the bench of the ball diamond at Northwestern while ge waited for my sisters.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I was confused, but I swear I saw a Red Wings sticker on Paul's Beatles guitar when I saw him on TV doing a concert. I have no idea why it would be there.

(Message edited by sturge on June 04, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, I know I already mentioned this on the forum but here's the story on the Red Wings sticker. He was given the sticker by a fan while playing the Olympia with Wings in 1976. (Wings, Red Wings, get it?) He liked it and still plays that guitar, so you'll still see it to this day when he plays live.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul always has his Red Wings guitar

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there-couldn't hear a thing for screaming. My ears rang for hours afterwards. We were 17 and almost 'too cool' to be there, but the tickets were free. Love to see them now.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finished reading the all the posts. I was there in 64, the first concert. Whatshisname disease is creeping up on me.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks JohnLodge!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.paulmccartney.com/t our_images/04/promo/image3.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.